Whats up with the throttle jerking? - Page 5 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 10-16-2014, 03:16 PM   #41
cravenjw
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John C
Radio of choice:
Jeti
# of RCs: ???

Total Props: 38
Re: Whats up with the throttle jerking?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitechflyer View Post
Nice to know that u recognize the mid range richness, witch I can see pumping to gain power. The servo I put on the hi end needle valve really created smooth throttle POWER in the mid range.
Actually, i was agree with a smooth mid range! Hey everybody wants it. But you tune for low and high and too a large extent you get what you get in middle. My real point was the pipes, which tend make for a little non-linear step in mid range, often on or too close to the hover sweet spot.

That being said, if a airframe torque rolls at full ailerons throw and at the power level of hover, you have to pump, whether it a smooth or burbly mid range.

As far as your mid range dynamic carb adjustment, its definitely novel stuff!

However, i dont see how it makes an airframe that torque rolls at full ails and a prop wash that gives stable altitude, no need pumping for a stable hover!

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:36 PM   #42
hitechflyer
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Hank U.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18SZ

Total Props: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyban View Post
Ed does that mean you have to stick it in before you can pull it out??
You have to push it in before you pull it out
hitechflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:31 PM   #43
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmith View Post
Secondly I think the field loss issue has more to do with the volume of the engine than the style of flying. Electric 3D guys throttle pump and aren't bothering anyone. I find it annoying to listen to a loud plane doing circuits...it's almost like a really slow throttle pump as the plane gets closer and farther. My gas plane is quieter than any two stroke glow that I've heard and with the way our field is situated I don't think any of the neighbors would be close enough to discern throttle pump.
Hear me out on this one.

I didn't have any intention of commenting on this thread but as I started to read it last night I clicked on the first video and with the volume turned down very low I started watching it. About 2 minutes in my daughter who was doing her homework and had no idea what I was up to said "Dad, whatever that is you are watching, turn it off please. It is very annoying!"

Ok, reason #2:
In a noise discussion on this forum recently we went over the fact that for decades now clubs and MAAC have been approaching the "field loss due to noise" with the same old "must be the volume" approach. It has failed miserably! So why are we still beating this approach to death when it doesn't work and we are still loosing fields to noise complaints?
So if it's not a volume thing - what is it?
It's something else about the sound and this thread has definitely hit a nerve! I don't for one moment believe that it is the only thing that is annoying people out there but if it annoys US then I think we are onto something!

A starting point perhaps...

Now I'm not advocating banishing 3D or those maneuvers that some feel it's mandatory to work the throttle a lot. Not at all! But I think it's become quite clear from the responses to this thread that the majority of the throttle jerking is unnecessary!

So use the results of this discussion as you will but remember: We are the authors of our own destiny!

Old 10-17-2014, 02:45 AM   #44
John M.
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John S.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 MHz
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 91

Blip the throttle when taxiing to steer without gaining excess speed on land or water. It gives the rudder a momentary kick - but that's all.

If you find excess of blipping annoying, as I do, try sledding where the guys with pipes are doing it constantly for no reason.
John M. is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:05 AM   #45
Lorne @ Pro-RC.ca
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Lorne L

Total Props: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK View Post
Hear me out on this one.

I didn't have any intention of commenting on this thread but as I started to read it last night I clicked on the first video and with the volume turned down very low I started watching it. About 2 minutes in my daughter who was doing her homework and had no idea what I was up to said "Dad, whatever that is you are watching, turn it off please. It is very annoying!"

Ok, reason #2:
In a noise discussion on this forum recently we went over the fact that for decades now clubs and MAAC have been approaching the "field loss due to noise" with the same old "must be the volume" approach. It has failed miserably! So why are we still beating this approach to death when it doesn't work and we are still loosing fields to noise complaints?
So if it's not a volume thing - what is it?
It's something else about the sound and this thread has definitely hit a nerve! I don't for one moment believe that it is the only thing that is annoying people out there but if it annoys US then I think we are onto something!

A starting point perhaps...

Now I'm not advocating banishing 3D or those maneuvers that some feel it's mandatory to work the throttle a lot. Not at all! But I think it's become quite clear from the responses to this thread that the majority of the throttle jerking is unnecessary!

So use the results of this discussion as you will but remember: We are the authors of our own destiny!

It is not the throttle pumping, that plane is annoying without throttle pumping. I was going to put cans on it but then sold out. Ordered more, sold out of those cans in one week again. I now ordered 20 canisters of the type required and it will make that plane much quieter. Those stock mufflers on 120cc engines are annoying. I agree.
Lorne @ Pro-RC.ca is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:15 AM   #46
Lorne @ Pro-RC.ca
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Lorne L

Total Props: 11

here is a vid of a da 120 on a can. He pumps the throttle less but still pumping. sounds way better

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9Slhr1o44s[/YOUTUBE]
Lorne @ Pro-RC.ca is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:35 AM   #47
cosmith
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Cory S
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 31

Am I the only one that is shocked this is such a contentious issue???

Maybe I just haven't heard a really bad example. When I go to fly I expect there to be all sorts of noise...everything from the super whiny high pitched two stroke glow motors to electrics that sound like a fan. I also expect different flying styles and that people will be doing things that will disrupt the flying that I came to do.

However, I was raised to always treat others as I like to be treated....part of that is understanding that everyone has different interests and my use of the field is no more a priority than theirs.

I guess I'm just a really laid back guy. Fortunately for me I found a really laid back club. There are a few guys in our club that are doing good 3D, but when they fire up nobody complains about the noise, everyone's eyes are to the sky to see the show.

However, if this problem is to the point where flying fields are going to be lost, then let your club executives and MAAC deal with it. That's what they are there for, no sense everybody getting their blood pressure up about it!

Live and let live...the solution to a lot of our societies problems!
cosmith is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:47 AM   #48
hitechflyer
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Hank U.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18SZ

Total Props: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmith View Post
Am I the only one that is shocked this is such a contentious issue???

Maybe I just haven't heard a really bad example. When I go to fly I expect there to be all sorts of noise...everything from the super whiny high pitched two stroke glow motors to electrics that sound like a fan. I also expect different flying styles and that people will be doing things that will disrupt the flying that I came to do.

However, I was raised to always treat others as I like to be treated....part of that is understanding that everyone has different interests and my use of the field is no more a priority than theirs.

I guess I'm just a really laid back guy. Fortunately for me I found a really laid back club. There are a few guys in our club that are doing good 3D, but when they fire up nobody complains about the noise, everyone's eyes are to the sky to see the show.

However, if this problem is to the point where flying fields are going to be lost, then let your club executives and MAAC deal with it. That's what they are there for, no sense everybody getting their blood pressure up about it!

Live and let live...the solution to a lot of our societies problems!
Put it this way if u had a kid playing a video game constantly shooting u whould shut it down.
I'm all for to each his own, but it does get annoying, and I doubt that they know it.
I see too much time spent on one manover.
hitechflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:19 AM   #49
cosmith
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Cory S
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitechflyer View Post
Put it this way if u had a kid playing a video game constantly shooting u whould shut it down.
I'm all for to each his own, but it does get annoying, and I doubt that they know it.
I see too much time spent on one manover.
Totally not trying to be an agitator or get anyone going, but I really think you missed my point.

If I'm at an arcade and someone's use of a shooting game is annoying me, I would just leave. It's not like someone is throttle pumping in your living room. That said, if the field is in your backyard, and this is really annoying for you...well, that's a different issue, then you are back to the politics of field loss, noise, etc.

If I didn't fly at all I would likely find the sound of any style of flying to be off putting, but I wouldn't put my needs above theirs and try to get the flying field shut down. No more than I would call by-law when I can hear my neighbours talking or when someone goes by my house with a snowmobile. None of us live in a bubble, and imho it is much better to learn tolerance than to seek vengeance...so to speak.

Anyway, my point is, how come your annoyance takes priority over his enjoyment??? If the throttle pumping was done expressly for the purpose of annoying other people then I would be on your side, but I think this thread has proven otherwise.

When you are flying circuits that 3D guy might be getting annoyed that he has to wait for you to land to do his thing, and in the meantime he finds watching your flying style boring. However, I'd be shocked if 3D guy came on here and said "what's with all the circuit flying, it is mindless and bores me to death while I am awaiting my turn to fly".

You see too much time spent on one maneuver, perhaps 3D pilot guy sees too little time spent on that maneuver and is trying to hone his skill. Who's to say your perception out ranks his???

This whole conversation is indicative of a larger problem in our society that seems to have started with the baby boomers and has gotten worse with each successive generation...the whole perception of my needs and wants are more important than everyone else's. It keeps getting worse with every new "spoiled" generation...you see it in the way people drive, the way people do business, etc. I think this means I'm getting old...

PS. hitechflyer....when I say "you" I'm talking about a hypothetical guy that doesn't like throttle pumping, I don't claim to have any idea about what type of person you are or what type of flying you do. Just trying to add some perspective to the conversation.

Last edited by cosmith; 10-17-2014 at 10:24 AM.
cosmith is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:26 AM   #50
bradleyban
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Brad B
Radio of choice:
Futaba 8FG Super
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 15

There's always a time and a place for pumping..............

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in