RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 09:42 AM   #1
imported_paintballssting
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
I broke my baby...sniff sniff

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
So I took my FG Monster Beetle out to our local RC track a few nights ago and was doing some amazing "long range" jumps off the jumps they had setup. I was even landing them pretty damn good, except for this one time..........
I came around the corner maintaining total control so I hit the throttle sooner than I was doing before. My truck was slightly off center when i hit the jump and somehow the ball shaft decided it didnt want to stay where it belonged. It popped out, hit the steel spur gear...and upon landing I lost all the little 5mm bearings that hold the damn thing in place.
When I got home, I decided to tear the rear end down to see what other damage may have happened, but mostly to get the dirt out of the rear diff itself, since the hole where the shaft was filled with dirt......yuck!! I noticed that the gear wheel was missing a tooth, not sure when that broke, but it did. So I carried on with stripping the diff apart. Guess what? Yup thats right, I managed to break 4 teeth off of one of the bevel gears...not good.
Im not sure if some of this damage was done prior to me actually getting the truck, as like an ** I never checked anything over. Then again why take apart a diff if you dont have to....right? Costly accident it was, so I may be into selling off some of my other babies to pay for the damage.
Good thing about it........my 90% alloy Monster Beetle, may end up being 100% alloy by the time im done.......
imported_paintballssting is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:18 AM   #2
imported_Ray
RCC Apprentice

yikes, sorry dude I feel your pain. I had a Marder and have been there before. Jumping these things are a bit tougher on the drivetrain than the 1/8 scales. How did you get dirt inside the diff? I don't think I've ever had that problem at all. I'm sure you would have noticed the gritty feeling when testing the diff. It might have save you a couple of teeth.

Ahhh......the perils of large scale RC. Think I'll go fire up my Evo '07 now.
imported_Ray is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:11 PM   #3
cyclop
RCC Master Contributor

did the pluggable diff cup come out ? because im wondering as well how the diff got dirt in it ?
but one good thing is the us dollar is at par to ours so its a great time too buy over the boader ..
give Tom at python a call .. not email he will have everything in stock and the cheapest shipping rates and prices around ..

Old 10-04-2007, 03:19 PM   #4
Gump
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Brian Belanger

Total Props: 1
one thing that i've learned, with so much torque its always a good idea to be completely off throttle when landing a jump, and always try to avoid 'jarring' the drivetrain in rough sections. mind you i run a baja and you run an FG, but i believe the same rules apply.
Gump is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:39 PM   #5
imported_paintballssting
RCC Apprentice

The dirt got inside when the driveshaft assembly fell out of the hole going into the diff......our local track consists of a mixture of sawdust, dirt and horse manure. We convert an indoor horse stadium for running in all weather. Basically the "s h i t" got into the hole. No matter as I have a whole new set of bevel gears coming for it.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:52 AM   #6
Pipeous
RCC Pro Contributor

I have some FG stuff and may be able to help you get going again. drop me a pm or give me a call. contact info on my site, link in sig

I could even do some trading.

cheers
Barry
Pipeous is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:51 PM   #7
imported_yak54
RCC Contributor

sounds like you got my old beetle from rc superman i used to service that diff with synthetic oil if it runs dry than you can break the spider gears under extreme conditions you can order parts from advance hobbies they have everything you need for that monster
imported_yak54 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:56 PM   #8
imported_paintballssting
RCC Apprentice

Yup, it was yours Yak54........one thing im noticing with it is, there are an awful lot of missing screws.....do you suppose Advance Hobbies has a complete screw kit for it?
Old 10-06-2007, 09:09 AM   #9
cyclop
RCC Master Contributor

team fasteddy.com has a complete kit for it ..
locktite everything as well ..
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in