Give RC flying a free try - Page 8 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Old 12-11-2015, 06:54 AM   #71
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336
Re: Give RC flying a free try

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Wouldn't it be nice if we could all shed our egos and just have fun?

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:09 AM   #72
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishall View Post
In the spring I will be offering to teach new folks as well as offering them a chance to fly my planes with no cost or obligation. I strongly believe it is part of our responsibility to promote the hobby and lend a helping hand.

I cannot speak for any other area but here in my neck of the woods I am finding that there is a real issue with elitism, and anti-foamy/electric bias. Also, there are way to many "old guys" and not enough younger people, including females, in the sport.

When I started flying again after 27 years I started with a foam e-flite Hurricane and when I took it out to the field for the first time I had a gentleman approach me saying how much he liked the plane and good it was to see a warbird out but as he got closer he realized it was foam and simply muttered something under his breath and walked away.

I don't get it. As long as someone is enjoying flying what the hell does it matter what it is made or what it looks like.
Ignore those stuffy cermudgeons and just fly and have fun.

Even today I still hear about these "class" wars. Had a few jerkoff's like that at our club once. All gone now. I hear they have their own crusty club now. More power too 'em.

Its refreshing to belong to a club that welcomes all forms of RC and we all get along and have a good time. THAT is what RC is all about

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:32 AM   #73
Ravell
RCC Noob

I am: Rav Ell
Radio of choice:
9x
# of RCs: 1

Total Props: 0
Hi there new to forum and air rc, ive always wanted to and finally at 39 i bought a electric bixler foamie i got from hobby king 3 years ago im finally in the process of putting it together with some mods. I have a turnigy2.4ghz 9x controller. Plan is to have it all ready for spring, but need some sort of intro into this, pointers, guidance when it comes to flying it. Im in Welland On/Niagara Region. I have no issues using thisplane for any part of instruction/teaching.

Thanks Rav

Doing some sim time, heard mixed reviews about sims but worth a try, nothing to lose
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1452102923465.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	796426  

Last edited by Ravell; 01-06-2016 at 11:58 AM.
Ravell is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:56 PM   #74
fliers1
RCC Contributor

I am: Clarence C
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravell View Post
Hi there new to forum and air rc, ive always wanted to and finally at 39 i bought a electric bixler foamie i got from hobby king 3 years ago im finally in the process of putting it together with some mods. I have a turnigy2.4ghz 9x controller. Plan is to have it all ready for spring, but need some sort of intro into this, pointers, guidance when it comes to flying it. Im in Welland On/Niagara Region. I have no issues using thisplane for any part of instruction/teaching.

Thanks Rav

Doing some sim time, heard mixed reviews about sims but worth a try, nothing to lose
Hi Rev,
I'll be more than happy to help you. Come spring, and if you wouldn't mind traveling 67 miles to Lockport, NY, i can guarantee that you will learn, most likely on the one visit. I will have an LT-40 and electric trainer, and/or you can bring and fly your plane.

For more information, email me at fliers1@aol.com
Attached Images

fliers1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:36 PM   #75
fliers1
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliers1 View Post
Hi Rav,
I'll be more than happy to help you. Come spring, and if you wouldn't mind traveling 67 miles to Lockport, NY, i can guarantee that you will learn, most likely on the one visit. I will have an LT-40 and electric trainer, and/or you can bring and fly your plane.

For more information, email me at fliers1@aol.com

This offer is still here for anyone. 2018
Old 02-05-2018, 08:17 AM   #76
fliers1
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C

I would like to explain the difference in my style of training to traditional methods, i.e. the use of the buddy box.

1. First time beginners will immediately receive takeoff and landing experience.

2. You will not have any control reversal problems.

3. Will be able to immediately fly for the better part of an hour, 25 minute steady each
flight/lesson.

4. We can work on what you have to do to earn your wings right away.

5. Your only cost would be that of a gallon of fuel and travel expenses.

6. You will be able to fly one of my low wing aircraft on your first day.

Proof, they say, will be in the pudding.

http://www.amadistrictii.org/column/...9%20Column.pdf
Old 02-15-2018, 06:39 AM   #77
fliers1
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliers1 View Post
I would like to explain the difference in my style of training to traditional methods, i.e. the use of the buddy box.

1. First time beginners will immediately receive takeoff and landing experience.

2. You will not have any control reversal problems.

3. Will be able to immediately fly for the better part of an hour, 25 minute steady each
flight/lesson.

4. We can work on what you have to do to earn your wings right away.

5. Your only cost would be that of a gallon of fuel and travel expenses.

6. You will be able to fly one of my low wing aircraft on your first day.

Proof, they say, will be in the pudding.

http://www.amadistrictii.org/column/...9%20Column.pdf
I am aware that most, if not all old hands must be certain that all of the above is all but impossible.

What my massive and rapid growth plan is that I can easily show those old hands how to learn this method, and usually within an hour or so. Problem is that even locally, club instructors (there are very few and far between here) have shown they are not in the least interested, even though they have seen large numbers of beginners solo within a couple of lessons. I even gave a demonstration many years ago at the Ajax flying club. Some were impressed, but no one ever asked if I could teach them my method. I've been told that some club's strict rules were that they had to use a buddy-box. It doesn't matter, since they could hook up the buddy-box while they trained using my method and thereafter.

AMA is fully aware of this, but their standard reply is, "AMA cannot endorse your method"

Meanwhile, they are losing members and the absolute dues revenue, hobby shops and huge businesses like Hobbico and many other big distributors are going belly up.
I offered a plan that is has a 100% chance of working better than current methods.

Last edited by fliers1; 02-15-2018 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:30 PM   #78
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

Heck Clarence. I might even come and see you one summer, just to meet you and share training techniques. Maybe even have you give me a few "lessons". From the sounds of it, a lot of our instructing methods are the same, but it never hurts to share some knowledge and maybe I might even learn a few tricks while I am at it.

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:53 PM   #79
fliers1
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
Heck Clarence. I might even come and see you one summer, just to meet you and share training techniques. Maybe even have you give me a few "lessons". From the sounds of it, a lot of our instructing methods are the same, but it never hurts to share some knowledge and maybe I might even learn a few tricks while I am at it.
Hi Max,
I will be more than happy to work with you. I might even learn things from you.
I sincerely hope that many more will take me up on my offer.

Perhaps you could bring a newbie and/or another instructor. I have developed a way to teach
instructors without a beginner.

You can practice using my method with a newbie(s) on a simulator until the outdoor flying season gets here.

Did you happen to see my DIY website? abchobbyshop.com There are 2 videos on the front page.

This might be the start of something really big.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:31 PM   #80
Phlier
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Phil S
Radio of choice:
DX 9
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 9
I think a lot of pilots like myself would enjoy to teach new members to fly if we knew how to instruct well. It would be nice to have an insturctors course and or manual. I have attempted to introduce new members in the past but i felt my technic was lacking.
Phlier is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Tags
beginner , free , introduction , lessons , assistance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in