niterdr
RCC Noob

I am: Alex Gray
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX5 Pro
# of RCs: 60

Total Props: 0
Brushless Confusion

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
With all of the wonderful new Brushless motors available today how do you ever decide which one to use? I have just gotten back into RC after a brief time away and I guess I missed the intro and fundamental information about the technology. Now there are so many brands and models to choose from that it is confusing to an ol' fart like me. Life was simple when you picked an engine according to the size of the aircraft or the instructions in the kit, now with electrics we have Wattage, Windings, Outrunners and geared Brushless power systems, not to mention Brushed motors. Dang ya blink and new technology just leaves ya in the dust!

Is there a calculator or a guide written to help a newbe to the world of Brushless with the selection or dodo we just go by what the Hobby Shop recommends? Are there any web sites that can help with information?

I have just received some plans for a small (36" Wing Span) twin boom pusher designed for an old pre-nitro gasoline engine and would love to update it to brushless RC.

Cheers,
Alex

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:08 PM   #2
matteo
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: matt s

www.rcgroups.com has alot of info on motor selection, one of the better electric sites. But if you give a rough estamite im sure that people here can help you out. If its a light 20-30oz plane i would go with 2 axi 2208/26 or equivelent and thats really good power. OR a custom CDR double would be good also.

oh and welcome to rcc
matteo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:06 PM   #3
monty_11

http://brantuas.com/ezcalc/dma1.asp is a good site for helping to determine the size of motor you need. Generally speaking you want around 75W output power per pound of model for good 3D performance. Most motor specs will give the maximum Amperage or Wattage they are rated for.

Peter.
monty_11 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 11-15-2005, 05:52 AM   #4
Terry Gauvin
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Terry J
Radio of choice:
DX18Stealth
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 55
75 Watts per pound will not give good 3D. If you search the net you will find vaiations on this"rule of thumb" performance estimator but hey are all very similar;

Performance Level (Watts per pound Performance Potential)

< 50 watts per pound Unable to rise off ground

50 to 60 watts per pound Can rise off ground and perform simple aerobatics

60-75 watts per pound Easily loops from level flight. More impressive aerobatic performance.

75-100 watts per pound "Fighter"-like performance. Aggressive climbs

100-150 watts per pound Extended vertical runs. Unlimited aerobatics

> 150 watts per pound Wings are unnecessary
Old 11-15-2005, 11:17 AM   #5
monty_11

You are right... sorry about that . ..... what I meant to say is 75W/lb would give good aerobatics - not 3D. Definitely over 100W/lb would be needed for good 3D.

Peter.
monty_11 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:55 AM   #6
niterdr
RCC Noob

I am: Alex Gray
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX5 Pro
# of RCs: 60

The plane will probably weigh in around 1 1/2 Lbs fully loaded and being that it is a semi scale I think I will keep it at the 75 watts per pound to start.
Thanks for the info guys!

Alex

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in