GP airplane forbitten for Canada ...... - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 06:05 AM   #11
dhammond

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
My experience tell's me that with a isolation mounts and balancing props and Spinners , there isn't a problem,.... of course if you don't even little 4 bangers and glow engines with do damage
  Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-27-2004, 07:11 AM   #12
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhammond
This should be an Excellent Flyer ... just the right size to put a 40 ZDZ gasser in...
LOGO

My experience has been that a gas engine will destroy a 14 lb. balsa / plywood airframe in no time. That small, delicate fiberglass fuse should desinagrate right before your eyes.
Don,

That's an iteresting statement considering some of the maller gassers that are available today like the MVVS 1.6 and the RCS 140 & 180.

Please relate some of the experiences you have had with a/c in this weight range and small gassers. It would be helpfull to those of us considering the switch. But perhaps you could start a new thread in Giant Scale or Big Engines forum so we don't hijack this one.
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Windy you ask? I have Whitecaps on my Coffee, YOU be the Judge!
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:11 AM   #13
Don M.

OK here you go. I had a Brison 2.4 in a Midwest 300S, actually the weight of this bird was about 15 lbs. In 150 flights I had to replace the cowl ( Aeroglass ) twice because it cracked in several places and I got tired of fixing them, replaced the canopy which gradually got so full of stress cracks it looked awful, the covering ( although it has been used successfully on other glow powered planes ) kept coming apart at the seams after every 5 flights or so and the Kevlar tail braces would break in flight quite often. The engine was "soft" mounted on B & B soft mounts, it was sent to Texas ( Brison ) twice and came back with a clean bill of health. I suspected the ignition system so I sent it to C & H in Whyoming and they replaced the ignition system and sent it back saying it was one of the strongest 2.4's they had ever tested ( 7500 rpm on a Zinger 20 - 10 ). So last year I decided to give it another try and put it in a Topflite ARF P-51 ( now this one is 20 lbs. ) you guessed it after 15 flights the fuse is starting to crack down each side right behind the canopy and again the engine is soft mounted on a GP isolation mount.

I also have a Q42 which was mounted on a Byron Pitts in the late 1980's and that engine tore up the cowl and foam fuse very bad also ( again soft mounted ) the engine has been sitting in my attic since 1990. I am going to try another 1/3 Pitts ( GP's ) but I have a Saito 270T to put in this one. Even my wife who likes to go to the field with me always asks - " do you have that stinky plane today" ( meaning gas ) if I do she stays home.

So you can see my luck with gas engines has not been good. The Brison which I bought in 1996 now stands me about $1500.00 with all the trips back and forth to the US and has supplied me with about 165 flights. The Q42 cost me $350.00 in 1989 and has given me about 100 flights and destroyed 1 plane.

Sorry to be so long winded and I know not everyone will agree and lots of guys will say it must be something I'm doing, but you asked.

Old 11-27-2004, 06:58 PM   #14
KevinPerry
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Kevin P
Radio of choice:
JR 12xMV
# of RCs: 12

Your soft mount is too loose . Any single will tear an airframe apart with to loose a iso mount . I have many many single gasser's and have no trouble what so ever, mounting them to the firewall . I tried one soft mount and started having airframe probs in a proven engine/ plane combo. Took it back out ...no more probs

just a thought

KP

... Some people are like Slinkies ... Not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs..
KevinPerry is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-27-2004, 08:27 PM   #15
Don M.

Actually the 3 different kinds of soft mounts I had in the 3 aircraft were what I would consider very "stiff" soft mounts but I have also considered "hard" mounting a gasser to the firewall, maybe I'll give it one more try. I have an e-mail into Jim Bisson and if he can buid me a "quiet" muffler ( another thing I dislike about gassers ) I might get to like them.

We have in all probability "taken over" this thread so maybe we should move on.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:16 PM   #16

Total Props: 57
Well read the warrantee with those mufflers they state there is no warrantee if the engine is soft mounted so that should tell you something right there. I have not soft mounted a gas engine since I sold my last quatra. There is one guy in the club running a RCS 1.4 in a GP 1/4 Spacewalker no problems and another hard mounted in a GP PT 19. I have a Brisson 2.4 hard mounted in a GP 1/3 Pitts Special, Brisson 2.4 in an 80 inch World Models Mustang hard mounted no problems. Yep I'd say it may well be something your doing wrong. And these are only a few examples. I am sure there are many more. Invest in some experienced help next time and I think your experiences may indeed be better.

Dennis
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:53 PM   #17
nony
RCC Supreme Contributor

Still, it is interstesting reading other peoples experiences..... Both my gassers are hard mounted mainly because there is no room for any kind of soft mounts.... I have seen soft mounted engines, but never heard of those sort of problems with either system - mind you, I did not go around asking either......

Correction...my G-38 shook both muffler bolts and the engine mounts loose. Thread locker fixed that, though.....

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:03 AM   #18
Don M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propworn
Yep I'd say it may well be something your doing wrong. And these are only a few examples. I am sure there are many more. Invest in some experienced help next time and I think your experiences may indeed be better.

Dennis
Actually I did ask for help when I first got into gas and was told by several people to soft mount them ( and still am ), there's a guy with a post in the engine section right now who says his Extra 300 / DA 50 is breaking up in the fuse from vibration and said he wishes it was soft mounted, so who's right and whose wrong. In any case it's sarcasm like yours that keeps me from asking too many questions anyway.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:07 AM   #19
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61
in the 4 or 5 years I have been running with gassers, I have tried it both ways....

I now prefer to hard mount my engines. Not due to anyone telling me to, but 100% from my own experiences.

Example: in my AC-2 giant scale sport plane, I was running a Brison 4.2 soft mounted. The whole plane was shaking so bad all the bolts came loose and the tail wires would break every few flights. Going to a hard mount stopped this violent shake.

However, I have tried to soft mount some of my other gas engines (allways on my own home made soft mounts) they either ran as well or maybe slightly smoother but not enough to warrant using it.

My Ohio Extra 300L has the ZDZ 60 hard mounted and its really smooth, and nothing is breaking or cracking after a lot of flying (its a used plane as well)

My 2nd Ohio extra now has my 4.2 Brison on it and we'll see how it fares this coming season (its hard mounted).

Don, dont stop asking questions or sharing your experiences, OK? They are as valid as any other's.
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:24 AM   #20
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

Don, it is a very good question, with no single correct answer.
Vibration harmonics are weird science, and every setup is different!
Keep on asking!

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in