MAAC event frequency management... - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2003, 08:26 PM   #1
aubej
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jason A.

Total Props: 5
MAAC event frequency management...

Hey guys,

We have our own frequency managemtn system for events, but I was wondering if MAAC has any guidelines??

What do you use at large events?

Thanks,
Jason
aubej is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-22-2003, 01:03 AM   #2
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 59
Re: MAAC event frequency management...

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin
Hey guys,

We have our own frequency managemtn system for events, but I was wondering if MAAC has any guidelines??

What do you use at large events?

Thanks,
Jason
So please explain your club's system!
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Windy you ask? I have Whitecaps on my Coffee, YOU be the Judge!
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-22-2003, 05:38 AM   #3
rcav8tor

Total Props: 0
I duno about thier club...... But at the Flying Tigers we are very proud of our frequency control system. At all time at our field, radios are put into the impound. When you want to fly, you go to the frequency board, get your tag and replace it with your MAAC card. (then we know you are a maac member, and who has the peg)
Yes it it still an honour system (like at most clubs) but a little more involed than just pegging out your channel. For events, we have one fellow look after the frequencies using our own system.
The only other thing needed is a scanner. I think MAAC has one available for bigger events, but a club owned one would be a lot easier !!!!!!

Pictures below are of our frequncy board.
Closed for the day and open for use

rcav8tor is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-22-2003, 07:41 AM   #4
aubej
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jason A.

Total Props: 5
Re: MAAC event frequency management...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaleguy
So please explain your club's system!
For club flying, we do the same as rcav8tor explained.

For organized events, we have an 8 colored pin system. We allow 8 pins out at a time, with 5 aircraft allowed in the air (this is per MAAC guidelines). Each pin has 2 components. The larger board clip as well as a smaller clip that goes on the pilot's Tx. The larger board pin covers 3 freqs.
Like I said, these are color coded, so we know who has what at all times.

I was just curious to see what everyone else was using. I assume everyone is much the same, but would like to hear any other club's methods.

thanks,
Jason
aubej is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-22-2003, 08:44 AM   #5
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1
Your basic method is sound.
Important details are:
No non gold stickered radios for any reason.
Use the single spacing of frequencies to maximize flight time.
Use a closed tent or tent trailer etc for the impound and only your personnel are allowed in......In this day and age the possibiltiy of a tx being stolen must be faced.
Check the on/off switch on every TX as it comes back in to the impound.
At the end of the event make sure all participants have their TXs...someone always drives off forgetting one!
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-22-2003, 09:57 AM   #6
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61
at our field, we have the same idea, a permanent frequency board and every member has their own pin, which has a colour copy of their current MAAC and club cards on it (so we know who has the pin, since their name is on it)

We use the honour system for general flying and to my knowledge have not had a shoot-down incident for as long as I have been in the club (8 years?).

For formal events like fun flies, we impoud the radios into our clubhouse onto a rack. There is one fellow or two manning the window and no one gets their own radio. The guy working the impound has a direct clear line of sight over the runway, pilot stations and can see the pitts as well so its not an issue to keep track of whats going on.

One important note, there is nothing to me more annoying than to travel to a fun fly and have to deal with an incompetant person working the impound. Please PLEASE make sure you have someone who is fast and efficient, and when two guys walk up to the impound doesnt freeze because he doesnt know what to do... Also, some of the members still think you need 2 or 3 or more frequencies between flyers... not! Please make sure your impound man knows that it is OK for adjacent frequencies to operate. Thats why we have modern equipment and the frequency system we have.
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-22-2003, 09:03 PM   #7
jamesbissonjr
RCC Master Contributor

I am: James B

Total Props: 1
Our club is the same and almost all Fun Fly's we attend are similar also. We attended the Forest City Rally Saturday and they flipped the pins for neighboring frequencies. It didn't really affect anyone but myself and one other flyer being that we are both on channel 52. It was a good system they used and anyone who wanted to go fly just grabbed there corresponding pin, flipped the pins above and below, and grabbed their transmitter. It was not a very large rally so things kept moving. The Sudbury meet didn't move quite as smooth but the director asked our input and things I believe will run a little different at their next one. They tried something different and it didn't go over well and they'll make changes. Trial and error.

Bisson Custom Mufflers
jamesbissonjr is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in