Sloped Collingwood today! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Sailplanes / Electro-gliders Discuss quiet flight in Canada.

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 09:09 PM   #1
Jan Blom
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Janne B

Total Props: 0
Sloped Collingwood today!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Took a little compact vacation with the family which had many soaring adventures. Started with catching some action at the Oakville aero-tow, then dropped by Shelburne to see some hang-gliding, which I didnt because conditions had deteriorated by the time I got there And I finally found the trail to the top of Blue mountain. The winds were 10-15 kmh but there was strong thermal assist. I flew my 3m Shadow. Its about 1.5km walk in and as I was setting up the stab I realized my drive pin had fallen out of the bellcrank in the rudder on the way in My daughter learned some new words. My canopy had a wire hold down which I bent back and forth to break off a piece and then a piece of wing tape to hold the canopy on, save the day! One big heave and off she went! What a spectacular flight!, and view alone was worth it. I did have my friends video camera but no digital cam I'm sure to go back for another session some day
Jan Blom is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:06 AM   #2
Rifleman

Total Props: 1
Jan, was this Blue Mountain, and not Meaford ?.....I know lots of guys who have flown the slope above the full-size gliderport in the Meaford area....sorry I can't be of more help on the exact location, but maybe if you contact someone from COGG, (Tony Boothman, Stuart Pearce, Jack Nunn) you can get better directions........

..............Ken

Different subject, but in case you might find this interesting, you can go here to see what I did today with Wendy.
Rifleman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-21-2004, 06:56 AM   #3
Jan Blom
RCC Master Contributor

It was Blue Mountain. Apparently the fullscale soaring club is no more at Meaford, the property has changed ownership. I was there several years ago with my glider but it was dead-calm.

Old 08-21-2004, 08:52 AM   #4
Rifleman

Total Props: 1
Shame to have missed the locale with dead air........from what I've been told, it may rival Torrey Pines for clean air........
Rifleman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:59 PM   #5
Jan Blom
RCC Master Contributor

I could not believe how smooth the flying was off the top of Blue, I guess the air coming across the huge bay has lots of time to get the knots out.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:48 PM   #6
tag
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Trevor G

Nice to hear somebody is doing some slope flying. We haven't been out for a while now. Hopefully we get some good weather out here soon and some free time. Sloping is my favorite type of flying but just don't get out enough.
Old 10-09-2004, 10:59 PM   #7
DemonFrog

Anyone know of any good slope locations around the southern ontario regions? i'm about an hour west of toronto and wish i could fly my combat wing need a slope to fly it off though
Demon
DemonFrog is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:34 AM   #8
tony boothman

Hi Tony Boothan here, Yes we sloped Meaford. The slope is about 300 ft ABOVE the full size field. You can't see it from the road by the full size field.take the road on the left by the full size field drive up about 2k and on a bend there is a looped dirt road where you can park. then it's a hike across rough fields. But the air up there is CLEAN. Have not been up for a while,and did hear talk of a housing development up there.I chucked Jack Nunns Grunoe sp? baby off there.I was flying a sagita.And have been told it's better than TorryPines.
tony boothman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:43 AM   #9
tony boothman

Hi Ken. Just found this site in MAAC mag.How you and Wendy doing?
The docs here just gave me a kidney transplant,the wife was the donor.
Doth doing great,but the docs won't let me ride my bike till next year
They let me out on fri 10th sept. and on sun 12th I was at the field,but they wouldn't let me fly.but was flying the week after at a contest .
tony boothman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:35 PM   #10
Jan Blom
RCC Master Contributor

Hey Tony welcome to the forum, hope to make it to a COGG event again one of these days. Every event i chose is downpour or blowin'50+. In regards to the Meaford slope.., is there a slope past the slope that is visible from the hiway then? How far of a walk across the field is it then?
I am curious if a larger scale ship could be brought down in the field? Next year i will go exploring for sure!
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in