Hanging planes in the garage and wind - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 07-03-2022, 01:01 PM   #1
Grauwulf
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: James J

Total Props: 1
Hanging planes in the garage and wind

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Got a question for everyone that stores their planes in the garage, if you are hanging them from the wall or ceiling, how do you combat the possibility of the wind blowing things around when you have the door open? It seems like it's almost always windy where we live now, particularly in the afternoon and evening and I'm trying to avoid anything getting damaged or getting knocked down and damaging one of our vehicles.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-03-2022, 04:48 PM   #2
jsparky
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Jeff G
Radio of choice:
X20s or anything FrSky
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 81
Re: Hanging planes in the garage and wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grauwulf View Post
Got a question for everyone that stores their planes in the garage, if you are hanging them from the wall or ceiling, how do you combat the possibility of the wind blowing things around when you have the door open? It seems like it's almost always windy where we live now, particularly in the afternoon and evening and I'm trying to avoid anything getting damaged or getting knocked down and damaging one of our vehicles.
Well... here in north waterloo.. it is just a windy I would guess. and I have usually about 10 planes hanging from my garage roof.. and even with the side door open to let the breeze blow through...

No Problem..

they dance around a bit.. but for the most part they avoid mid airs..

But the question I want to know.. is

When I am sitting in here with the doors closed and the heater or air conditioning is off.. so no air blowing

They will randomly start to move..

Now !! Figure that one out...
The Cat is Back !

The two stupidest answers in the world are !!

JUST BECAUSE and
THAT IS THE WAY WE HAVE ALWAYS DONE IT.
jsparky is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-04-2022, 07:36 AM   #3
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 101

They're just anxious to get out and fly.

As for hanging from the ceiling, as long as they don't move enough to hit any part of the structure, (or bang your head into) you should be fine. I have quite a few of mine hanging from the beams in my build room with heavy string supporting foam covered dowels.

This is an older pic but aboot the best I have showing that setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DigitalCameraTransfer 753.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	987.6 KB
ID:	1778377  

Old 07-04-2022, 12:15 PM   #4
michaely
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JRx8103, FrSky Taranis, Horus 10x and Aloft Hobbies single stick w/FrSky X10s parts
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grauwulf View Post
Every situation is different..... but if you want to mitigate "hanging" models from blowing around/falling, I would look at using elastic cord (google the term; the stuff is available at fabric, craft supply, some big box stores, etc.) to provide a second, gentle but sufficient restraint that secures the model against the wall /ceiling fixtures. Elastic cording is significantly less strong than bungee cord and it comes in a variety of tensions....... peg board or strapping on the wall would provide an anchoring point.

I am a cyclist and recycle blown bicycle inner tubes, cut into strips, to use in a variety of situations where a clamp/restraint around an awkward clamping situation, is needed. Bicycle inner tube material is pretty resistant to degradation, unlike stationary store elastics, and would last many years in this function.

Just a thought.
michaely is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-04-2022, 01:56 PM   #5
chuebner
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Curt H
Radio of choice:
Hitec

Total Props: 94

In my garage here is Sask (and yes, it can get very windy) when I have the doors open, I hang some from the roof using bungee cords into eye hooks.

A few others get hung on the wall using tail hooks.

And, I have also made "L" shaped ceiling brackets with pipe insulation on them that the planes just lay on up by the ceiling.

I've never lost a plane or incurred any damages or ill effects from wind using any of these hanging methods with my garage doors wide open.

I fly Hitec, why...... because I wanna!!

Forum Rules Link
https://www.rccanada.ca/site-rules.pdf
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-04-2022, 09:15 PM   #6
Lake Flyer
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Dave P
Radio of choice:
JR
# of RCs: To

Total Props: 5

If it’s windy enough to move my planes, it’s to windy to go flying. The door stays closed.
Lake Flyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-25-2022, 11:03 AM   #7
Oliviarom Walshar
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaely View Post
Every situation is different..... but if you want to mitigate "hanging" models from blowing around/falling, I would look at using elastic cord (google the term; the stuff is available at fabric, craft supply, some big box stores, etc.) to provide a second, gentle but sufficient restraint that secures the model against the wall /ceiling fixtures. I just placed a sizable order for door handles for one of my garage doors on https://fixgaragedoors.ca/services/g...epair/roll-up/. Elastic cording is significantly less strong than bungee cord and it comes in a variety of tensions....... peg board or strapping on the wall would provide an anchoring point.

I am a cyclist and recycle blown bicycle inner tubes, cut into strips, to use in a variety of situations where a clamp/restraint around an awkward clamping situation, is needed. Bicycle inner tube material is pretty resistant to degradation, unlike stationary store elastics, and would last many years in this function.

Just a thought.
Door openers, oh my goodness These have caused me a lot of pain. Okay, so I ordered a ton of doors for my new house, and guess what? The size was insufficient. I swear to God, it was only a centimeter or two bigger than my doorframe. I was quite irritated. Okay, so the next time I order more doors that actually fit, but the door knobs turn out to be too... cheap. In fact, I found it challenging to turn the handle.
Oliviarom Walshar is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in