Great Planes Christen Eagle - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
ARF / ARC Aircraft Discuss anything and everything ARF or ARC related.

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 03:21 PM   #1
KKA

Total Props: 0
Great Planes Christen Eagle

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Has anyone got the Christen Eagle from great Planes? I'm thinking of adding this big fella, to my hanger. What does the quality look like? what power do I need (gasser)? etc, etc?
KKA is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:54 PM   #2
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1
I flew one most of last summer using two Roto 35cc gassers which I was breaking in for a twin project.
Quality is really excellent for an ARF as long as you can live with a less than perfect monocote job ie some bubbles and wrinkles.
The fibreglass work is perfect and involves the cowl,interplane struts and pants.
Everything fits and you arent going to believe the hardware that comes with it including a cheap but usable spinner and wheels.
The model balanced without ballast using the 35cc engines and the plane will do all aerobatics you are capable of.It will not hover with this size engine.
Our US brothers seem to feel a 50cc engine is ideal but I think thats a little much in both power and weight and Im in the process of installing a ZDZ40cc in mine.
Takeoffs and all flying are easy if you are used to bipes and taildraggers,but landings must be timed just right and its better to put the plane down on the main gear and just let it run. You can try for a three point but the model has an annoying habit of bounding back into the air if you dont get it just right and as soon as you touch elevator those thin wings stop flying right now and its easy to tumble it and break the prop or the vertical stab or both.Im going to play with the airbrake flaperon function on my radio and see if I can solve the landing problem.
Run a search on RCU and you will find much detail on the model generally and the landing eccentricities in particular.
Its a showstopper at the field and a lot of fun to fly..........
I have several bipes to my credit all built from plans but any one of them cost more to build than the Iggle costs to buy .
I am not a fan of ARFS and this was my first one as a matter of fact but I think its good value for the money.
if you have any other questions post them here .
I flew the plane at a number of events last summer and perhaps some of those that saw it and watched it fly will comment.
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:50 PM   #3
KKA

Christen Eagle..

Thanks Kevin:
This helps alot and you talked me into it. I'm ordering one for my birthday. "Oh thanks sweatheart, you shouldn't have !"
Old 01-02-2005, 07:51 PM   #4
KKA

Christen Eagle..

My wife she's the best.......
Old 02-12-2005, 08:29 PM   #5
n ima
RCC Apprentice

I am: steve b

You won't be sorry. My wife bought me one as an anniversary present last spring. Had about 50 flights on it when I took off with my transmitter set to a different model. I was as devastated as the plane was!!! I had so much fun with it I had to replace it. It will be ready to go this spring. Both of mine have/had us 41 gas engines. Flew very scale.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:51 AM   #6
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 16
I know the plane in the above post! It was always fun to watch, I could go to the field and be content not flying at all as long as the Eagle was there to watch. A lot of club members were very saddened by its untimely demise.

It was flown at the KW show last fall as well.

Dave

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in