Suspensions - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 11:33 PM   #11

Total Props: 57

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Our club needed to address such an issue some time ago. First of all your club must have something in its bylaws or constitution that a member can be disciplined. Without such a bylaw the club may not have the right to remove club privileges even if everyone voted in favor.

This is what transpired at our club. A motion was made and passed by a majority of the club that allowed the executive of the club to discipline up to and including suspension or banning any member who continually displayed unsportsmanlike conduct or other behavior not conducive to the health and growth of the club. This would also include continuous disregard for both MAAC and club safety rules.

Besides the MAAC and club application each member is given a handout that includes the MAAC safety code, club rules and notice of the previous mentioned motion. He must sign that he understands all the rules and that the club executive can suspend any member whose conduct is not acceptable without refund of their dues and or memberships in the club or MAAC.

Dennis Pratt
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:02 AM   #12
nony
RCC Supreme Contributor

Total Props: 0
Quote:
I know what you mean nony but there is no possible way of addressing every possible issue that could possibly arise in a club say like ours where there are upwards of 70 members. A rule book like that would have to be hundreds of pages and it would take years to write and still somebody would come up with some infraction that someone never even thought about!
It is up to the individual club to decide what is important, what is to be enforced, how, and what is to be done when important rules are broken. A well organized club would have given some thought to this process and have them written into bylaws (or equivalent) and communicated to members, as Dennis mentions above.

If a club is overly zelous (the safety Nazi), they will drive members away, if they are too lenient, people will start leaving in droves when they start having planes crashing in the pits or parking lots (as an example). The clubs longevity depends on striking a balance within their own organization,as well as establishing and self-policing acceptable boundaries for its members.

In a perfect world, maybe MAAC would have safety auditors and field inspectors all over the country, but then our dues would be about $2000 a year!

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:34 AM   #13
Jollidude
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Wayne J

Perhaps I should have been more clear on the term "first offence". I meant the first time "punishment" for this individual's behavior. As I argued above, it would have to be shown that there was blatant disregard for safety, and obviously, the majority of club rules are for safety related concerns; and there would have to be a final warning and the consequences stated as to what will happen if the rule is broken again. The one week time frame was used just as an example and would depend on the club involved and the severity of the infraction. I have edited my original post for clarification.

Cheers!

Jollidude
Jollidude is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 05-18-2005, 06:49 AM   #14

Technically guys if you were to check I am pretty sure what we found out was you have to have this written into your club bylaws or constitution to be enforceable. Otherwise trying to discipline or eject a member could result in legal action against the club and its executive. Think about it if the guy is butt head enough to get thrown out he just might be butt head enough to make it a legal issue and if you don't have wording and something signed by him as to his responsibilities and possible consequences of not following those requirements then he could play the discrimination card. I really don't know how far he could get or if it would be worth it for someone to go this route but we placed it in our bylaws on advice from legal council. It does two things, reminds the members that there could be very real consequences from any irresponsible actions on their part, and the executive have the tools to enforce it.

Dennis
Old 05-18-2005, 07:23 AM   #15
Darren Spicer
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Darren S
Radio of choice:
JR
# of RCs: 12

Suspensions

Guys I think the biggest thing we need to remember is that this hobby was meant to be fun. But at the same time we must have rules in place to protect all that participate. When we write club rules we must be willing to enforce them. And this does not mean we have to be (Rule Nazi's). But we must accept a certain amount of responsibility for our actions. A simple verbal reprimand may be enough, But if the same rules are broken repeatedly then we must accept that more dissapline may be required.

In my mind a suspension is not out of the question if all other alternatives have been exhausted. Some people do not always accept the fact that they must follow an entrenched set of rules.They must therefor be reminded that they are part of the group and not an individual free to do as they please.

If you don't stand behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them.
Darren Spicer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:00 AM   #16
jdiprofio
RCC Contributor

I have found over the past couple of years that most persons involved with this hobby are pretty sensable. If they make a mistake (fly over the pits for example), most will apologize immediately. We all are aware of the safety issues and the rules surrounding them.

If someone is not aware (new member), then we politely point out the error and move on. I have yet to see anyone do something repeatedly (on purpose) just to be a dork.

I don't think anyone wakes up in the morning and thinks to themselves...hmmm...I think that I will go to the club and do stupid things to p*ss people off.

People make errors every day driving to the feild. Thankfully, most times it does not result in anyone getting hurt. Sometimes forgetfulness causes accidents (fact of life).

The hope is that we are responsable enough to watch out for each other, thus reminding each other of our forgetful nature as human beings. That in my opinion is our first line of defence against accidents.

For those deviant individuals that do exist, that come to the feild with that know it all mind set. Those that feel as though they are above an accident. Those that ignore repeated helpful cautions and reminders. Well I personally would ring your bell before you hurt any of my freinds or myself while you are just being a self centered pin head.

I wonder if that is covered in the constitution....if not perhaps it needs an ammendment....

Cheers

MAAC 70927

"Am I Inverted.....Oh Crap!!"
jdiprofio is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:39 AM   #17
Donovan Dow
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Donovan R

Morning All

WOW a one week suspension. Draconing {:>)

Why bother since most club members IMHO only fly once or twice a week weather permitting, except for us retires.

cheers
Don Dow
4664L
Donovan Dow is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:18 AM   #18
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 16
I know of a situation where a chap had his membership revoked for repeated disregard of basic safety rules. His most common one (aside from making unnecessary high speed low passes too close to the flight line) was never checking his batteries and as a result losing control of the plane he was flying.

He was, quite literally, DANGEROUS! One of the most satisfying sounds was the day he lost power on the Rx and his plane went away from the flight line into the trees on the far side. All reports said it sounded like a handfull of popsicle sticks dropped in a blender.

He was dropped shortly afterward, after several documented complaints to the executive of his club.

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:23 PM   #19
rcfcbc

suspensions

well at this point in time I do not care to ellaborate but will do so next week. All I can say is that the person chose to fly his plane in a dangerous manner putting both people and the club in danger.
rcfcbc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:42 PM   #20

Re: suspensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfcbc
well at this point in time I do not care to ellaborate but will do so next week. All I can say is that the person chose to fly his plane in a dangerous manner putting both people and the club in danger.
I will be at your field this weekend I promise not to put people in danger

Does foamy flying in the parking lot at night after a couple of brewskies with the gang pass for safe flying activities LOL
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in