And South of the Border... - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 10:53 PM   #1
Arune
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Question And South of the Border...

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Canada being such a small market, I note that many helis are not available from dealers in Canada...

Looking to invest around $400 in a new bird next spring, I don't really want to be limited to only those sold at the LHS - EFlte and a few others. So, a few questions:

1. Freight - how have you found American dealers at charging freight. With books, the dealers at times add far too much to cover shipping costs. The exchange is bad enough right now...

2. I assume that one has to pay duty on RC helis. What rate applies? Does this differ with new or used?

3. I have looked at several brands that seem to offer more. Ideally, I want a new bird that has all the aluminum parts as standard, not as hop-ups. There are a few that fit this criteria.

4. Is it better to buy the bird and also buy a TX seperately? If so, what TX is the least expensive and best general purpose model.

5. Is that TX available in Canada?

6. My womanly mechanical skills are limited and thus a kit seems out of the question. I think I have to have a RTF or ARF, limiting as that might be.

7. I have real problems figuring out batteries and chargers. Right now, I have a Blade CX2 and three Eflte batteries. I am told tha other batteries offer better performance, but those tend to need a charge, a rather expensive and complicated device. Having looked at teh manual for several I am totally confused. Is there a charger that would work for my Blade and also for a new bird such as above?

At the moment, the Falcon 400 SE and Raptor are looking like good choices. Or should I go local and get a Blade CP Pro from eFlite? Oh dear.

Willow
Arune is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:04 PM   #2
OICU812
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Shawn S.
Radio of choice:
Vcontrol

Total Props: 36
Re: And South of the Border...

www.3dhelidepot.com is in Alberta and is getting a fair bit of selection indeed.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:49 AM   #3
Charlie
RCC Contributor

I am: Charlie G
Radio of choice:
JR 11X

Before ordering from the USA check with the dealer and make sure they "don't" ship with UPS, if they do you will get stuck with brokerage fees and GST when it gets to your door.
When ever buying anything from the USA make sure they ship USPS and you shouldn't have a problem.
Charlie is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:35 AM   #4
G-copterbous-funk
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: John Appleseed

What electric model to you want? Canadian merchants such as Great Hobbies sell: TT Minititan/Innovator(soon), T-Rex, CY Rave, E-flight, Helimax, Hobbico, Beam,Century, MS, SPA, Twister, Venom, Wakera.

The Canadian market is not that small, you just need to know where to look. GH have a tech line that can advise you on your needs when the time comes. The mini electric market is rapidly changing so who knows what additional lines GH might have next year.

Stephen

Last edited by G-copterbous-funk; 10-30-2008 at 01:50 PM.
G-copterbous-funk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:51 PM   #5
zuiderdam
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Jim C
Radio of choice:
DX18

As stated by others USPS is the way to go. Look at readyheli.com Have used them for a couple of years. They answer your e/m in a timely manner and NEVER had a lost shipment unlike another company who at the time shipped UPS. Package never arrived. Being new to Canada i was amazed that UPS is charging a brokerage fee.My UPS store stated its a charge for taking my parcel across the border.Im still shaking my head.Fees that i have paid have had no rhyme or reason. Give readyheli a call,or any larger company for that matter. Im sure they will answer all of your questions. Yes, i do support my LHS as much as i can. Sometimes you have to branch out a bit. As far as transmitters, buy one you can grow with. That way you are not looking at an upgrade six months down the road.
Since i use JR I can only relate to it. Look at the DX7 2.ghz. Low to mid $300. User friendly, New technology and is very common.
Heli's, once again everybody has their own preference. I like Align.
The reason why I went with Align (T-Rex 450se and 600np) are the parts are readily available almost anywhere.
As far as the battery chargers. Yes,they can be confusing at 1st. Ive been very happy with my little Triton. Also easy to program. As the old saying goes,"you get what you pay for". As far as womanly skills,don't under estimate yourself. try a ARK and take your time. And after you complete you build, pat yourself on the back. Finless Bob over at helifreak.com has a great build video library for free. Plus other topics that you will find helpful.
Hope this helps a bit. Keep us posted.
zuiderdam is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:38 PM   #6
Kelly W
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Kelly W
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 6

With reference to duty, there is no duty on this type of shipment. There is however tax due, which amounts to both PST + GST if you live in BC for example. I always make sure my stuff is classified as model aircraft parts, and it usually been just fine... That said, I live relatively close to the boarder, and for those in similar circumstances it very beneficial to source a shipping company that will let you have US packages delivered there and available for you to pick up for a small fee. In Vancouver I use these guys: http://www.thelettercarrier.com/

I've learned the hard way using UPS as well, both ways... I shipped some hardware out and used the recipient's account, as authorised, only to be threatened with collection services by UPS some time later when someone in their accounting office decided not to bill the account holder overseas. I guess it was an addition piece of paper to fill out or something, and it was easier just to hit me with the charges... Nobody on the phone had a clue how to fix the problem either, while I got notice after notice... I prefer to stay away from UPS now when a boarder is involved.

Kelly
Kelly W is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:59 AM   #7
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuiderdam View Post
amazed that UPS is charging a brokerage fee.My UPS store stated its a charge for taking my parcel across the border
No, it's a fee UPS charges for filing assinine Canada Customs paperwork on an Item than has no duty (Model Aircraft).

They do have to collect GST and PST even though the sale is outside the country, really it's our government taking the bite.

If it comes by USPS, Canpost may charge a brokerage fee if they catch it, but they are often lazy about this.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:50 AM   #8
G-copterbous-funk
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: John Appleseed

Looks like someone got fed up, and look where it got them. As many pointed to, always go with the federal postal system. The government certainly is not screwing us over, UPS is.

http://www.thegatesofdawn.ca/wordpre...-class-action/

http://www.poynerbaxter.com/UPS.htm
G-copterbous-funk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:20 AM   #9
Arune
RCC Noob

I ran into the UPS scam for Canadians some years ago and theereafter have always told American suplies to use anything but UPS GROUND. They do not charge the same fee on AIR shipments, for some reason...

Willow
Arune is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in