Evolution trainer .455 prop selection - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Old 10-17-2016, 08:30 PM   #1
Mytmerc83
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Ryan T
Radio of choice:
Radiomaster TX16S
# of RCs: 17

Total Props: 6
Evolution trainer .455 prop selection

Sorry a little back story to begin, it has been a real fight for my poor twist 40, it's had everything but a v8 hanging on the front of it. I've had three of these planes 2 - version 1's purple and yellow and my current version 2. I had a spare evolution trainer which is the .455 version, it really sings and with my twist build super light more than 1/2 a pound lighter then the light flying weight hanger 9 calls for it's light and this motor has no problem dragging it along. The problem is right now I'm running an 11x5 prop and in flight I think it might be over spinning but with not really any prop specs for this motor and only a 3 blade evolution prop as stock (with no specs on the prop) I turn to you. Anyone used this motor? Prop sizes? It runs well and will hover about half throttle, I do not fly this plane much anymore but it makes me grin ear to ear when I do so I like to keep it flying. Thanks in advance.
Mytmerc83 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:55 PM   #2
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 101
Re: Evolution trainer .455 prop selection

Can you post a pic of the engine? There were two versions of that size EVO, the trainer (NT) that I believe had the large drive washer and the normal sport (NX) with the standard size blue tinted drive.

I had several of the NX and the first thing was to remove the two limiter rings from the needles. These were factory set half the globe away and often would not tune within the range allowed.

Once set they were relatively strong performers with good durability and I loved the modern look, but that design lent itself to a bit heavier construction compared to others in the same class. I found an 80's gen OS 40FSR would outperform it. IMO the FSR series were the best they ever made so cannot fault the EVO there. It did far better than the GMS 47, Tower clone 46 and even the ASP 52 in the same class, often with considerably better fuel consumption.

To your question: These 40 class motors would run fine with the 10/6 to 10/7 2-blade props. I found their legacy 3-blade pretty much useless and never used them in the field. If you still feel your 11/5 too fine try an 11/6. I would think an 11/7 would be too much for that one.

ps. I did find one fault with the EVO's. That drive washer had a tendency to deform if a metal spinner backplate was used, to the point it would rub and overload the front bearing. No other problems.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:18 PM   #3
Mytmerc83
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Radiomaster TX16S

Thanks Gary I'll try to sneak out and take a pic of it. The carb is different on it too the high speed needle is in the carb and not at the back of the motor but does not seem to hurt it. It adjusts fine.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:41 PM   #4
chuebner
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Curt H
Radio of choice:
Hitec

Total Props: 94

I believe the engine Ryan is referring to is the Evo .45 TPS and not an NT or NX.

http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...rod_id=EVOE100

The 3 blade prop that comes with this version does not work well at all. Like Gary stated, You can use a 10x6, 10x7, 11x5, 11x6 (APC, Master Airscrew and Evolution) and I have even used the 11x5 Hobbico Nexstar prop with good success. ( http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...od_id=HOBA3744 ) and even an APC 12.25 x 3.75 on this engine. One usually needs to experiment with a few props before you find one that suits your needs.

I fly Hitec, why...... because I wanna!!

Forum Rules Link
https://www.rccanada.ca/site-rules.pdf
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:51 PM   #5
Mytmerc83
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Radiomaster TX16S

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	1076801 Curt you are correct that's the one. It came in an rc lot and the three blade is nowhere to be found. The 11x5 makes it scream maybe I'll try an 11x6 time to get one of my tachs out I guess.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:57 PM   #6
chuebner
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Curt H
Radio of choice:
Hitec

Total Props: 94

Yup that's her.......the big crank weight is a dead give away.

I am using mine on a Spad combat plane. I'm using a 10x5 MAS on it and it loves the RPMs and to scream.

I fly Hitec, why...... because I wanna!!

Forum Rules Link
https://www.rccanada.ca/site-rules.pdf
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:50 PM   #7
Mytmerc83
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Radiomaster TX16S

I'm looking more for stump pulling that weed whacking. The 11x5 has plenty of speed, just not needed for how I fly this plane it's my Sunday fly plane, not great at anything but good enough. Just makes me smile is all!! I'll try a couple of what I have and see what I'm happy with. Thanks all.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:39 AM   #8
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

That Alpha Trainer looks a virtual copy of the 46 NT, (although they list that as their 40). Perhaps this is the new version?

I should have mentioned on any of the NT's I threw away the large 219A weight and went with the more conventional drive washer. That was the one that would deform.

NOTE: Different makes of the same spec prop will perform differently so that an 11/6 from APC may work better than a wood prop of the same numbers. I can say the APC 12.25 x 3.75 was one we used specifically for prop hanging and verticals as it could not break mach in cruise with that pitch. The problem is that larger diameter reduces your ground clearance so make note of that. Much greater risk of eating grass or perhaps damage sucking up rocks or other debris.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:20 AM   #9
Mytmerc83
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Radiomaster TX16S

You bet Gary, the twist has tons of ground clearance, I pulled a well used os fs 61 off that ran a 12x6 with no issues of ground clearance. I think I've even had a 13x6 on it at one point. I'm going to try the 12.25x3.75 and see how it does.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:30 AM   #10
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

What were you planning to do with the 61?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in