Old 09-21-2005, 11:57 AM   #1
JKovats
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John R
Radio of choice:
JR

Total Props: 20
Corkscrew loops

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have just put my first few flights on a Kankge Cap 232 and I am shaking it down. Before I start getting into it I would like some input on things to look for.

Set up is a split elevator on pull/pull. Separate servos and channells on ailerons.

Problem. I have it now trimmed for straight and level flight at about 1/2-3/4 throttle. CG is great, can do a 3 point relatively slow landing and approach.

When I do a loop, the plane starts to do a roll to the left. The tighter the loop, the tighter the roll. It's exciting / ha! ha!.

Here is what I am looking at:

1) I may have more elevator deflection on my lefy elevator (progressive on the pull), I will check with an incidince meter.

2) My right aileron may be down slightly and when I change my AOA I may be getting deflection off my right aileron . Will again check with an incidence meter and field trials.

Anything else I should be looking for?? Tail feathers are mounted square.

Thanks guys.

aka Johnny Versatile

MAAC 65460

Hespeler Model Aviators Inc.
Cambridge Float Flyers

I don't have the answers, but I have a personal relationship with the Guy that does.
JKovats is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:09 PM   #2

Total Props: 57
Many things to look for....

1. Lateral balance - trim for level flight, roll inverted. If model rolls while inverted (make sure you dont touch aileron) then you need to add some tip weight to correct this. No point in trimming the model until this is done.

2. It could be you! Many people put in aileron with elevator without knowing it.

3. Rudder trim/fin alignment could be off, you need to know if its truly rolling or is it yawing during the pull. This is also related to thrust line of the motor.

4. Linkages on ailerons are sloppy and under load are deflecting slightly, also it could be the servo allowing deflection. Good digitals and very tight linkages (no slop other than the geartrain) will eliminate this possibility.

5. You already eluded to the elevator halves needing alignment, but it needs to be checked through the entire range of throw. Just because they match up at neutral does not mean they will match up at 5 degrees of travel.

6. Wings warped, wings different incidences, stab not parallel to wings, wing/stab not perpendicular to fin, stab wing not square to fuse.

If you elevator halves, and #1 and #4 on my list check out....you have yourself a serious alignment issue with your airplane.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:46 PM   #3
Ramz-to-tha-Z

Total Props: 0

Well put! That just about covers everything to look for...
Ramz-to-tha-Z is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 09-25-2005, 08:07 AM   #4
JKovats
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John R
Radio of choice:
JR

Total Props: 20
Hi Chad;

Thanks for the input.

1) Lateral balance on the ground appears okay. I will try in the air once the weather clears up.

2) My right aileron was 4 degrees lower than the left one when I rechecked. I must have missed this on my original set up. This will probably make some difference.

I added more expo to my ailerons in case I am accidentally touching them. I don't think so because I fly many other planes and haven't had this problem. The 232 is quite sensitive to inputs.

3) Tail feathers, stab. wing etc are aligned properly.

4) Split elevator deflection is identical on both halves thru full travel.

5) How could engine thrust affect this??

Thanks.

aka Johnny Versatile

MAAC 65460

Hespeler Model Aviators Inc.
Cambridge Float Flyers

I don't have the answers, but I have a personal relationship with the Guy that does.
JKovats is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:45 PM   #5

Total Props: 57
Quote:
1) Lateral balance on the ground appears okay. I will try in the air once the weather clears up.
I often find that a static lateral balance is not the same result as a lateral balance that works in the air I typically never check the lateral balance and just adjust it until I get hands off upright and inverted. It usually takes very little 5-10 grams or so.

Quote:
2) My right aileron was 4 degrees lower than the left one when I rechecked. I must have missed this on my original set up. This will probably make some difference.
Ya thats a big problem Fix that first and try the loops again before messing with anything else.

Quote:
5) How could engine thrust affect this??
Its a subtle problem, basically if your thrustline is off chances are during the loop the plane will yaw offline....if it does this chances are it will also roll slightly....causing a corkscrew. This is getting into some hair splitting trimming though and is really tough to notice. These things typically show up after a fair number of flights on the plane when you really start to get in touch with it.

It can be as simple as rudder trim, or as complicated as a fin misalignment.

I would say you likely found the bulk of your problem though!
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in