Giant scale landing gear removal - could use some help - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Giant Scale Aircraft Discuss Giant RC Scale Aircraft.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
grosbeak
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John R
Radio of choice:
Futaba 8FGS
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 25
Giant scale landing gear removal - could use some help

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I need to remove the landing gear from a 50cc SBach 342. It's held onto the outside by nuts.

There are bolts on the inside. You can see them here - this is looking down from above the airplane. Sorry it's out of focus.

You can see the threads of two bolts (highlighted in green) that are horizontally mounted. The heads of these are neither visible nor accessible, appearing as if I'd have to cut some covering to get at them. And the shafts are blocking access to the bolt heads (highlighted in red) that hold the gear on. I'm having a hard time figuring out what's going on here and hope that someone more familiar with giant scale might be able to shed some light.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8053187370_12e148879f_z.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	167853   Click image for larger version

Name:	8058026882_b03164af78_z.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	167854  

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
Coolheli
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Mark H.

Total Props: 1
Re: Giant scale landing gear removal - could use some help

Using dremel cut a small slot for a flat screwdriver at the top of the bolt.
Place a towel on the plane while cutting as the hot metal debris may easily burn through the covering.
Undo the nuts, remove the landing gear, remove the bolts and install proper blind nuts in the fuse.
Coolheli is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
cicopo
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Larry
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 42

From what I can see the bolts he's trying to undo already have a slot, but access is seriously restricted by the nuts on the other bolts which are at 90 degrees to the ones he's trying to get to.
Here's one idea that should work. Using a soldering iron heat the nuts you want to remove to destroy the Nyloc section. Once that's done they should unscrew much easier, but if they still turn the screw hold it by the threads near the end. Try not to damage them, but if you need a lot of pressure to grip them do this. Screw 2 normal nuts on just enough to lock them against each other, then hold the screw by them.
To re attach the easiest trick I can think of (assumes the screws turn relative easily) would be by first installing a regular nut & tightening it down & then add a new Nylock which will jamb onto the new nut plus use it's own built in locking mechanism to prevent vibration from loosening things later.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
CHEVPRO
RCC Contributor

I am: Todd N
Radio of choice:
Dx9
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 4

Whoever built this plane put the bolts for the gear on upside down. Usually the head is on the outside of the gear and the nuts are accessed with a wrench through the firewall tunnel.
CHEVPRO is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in