fsone
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Norm
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8/DX7
# of RCs: 18+

Total Props: 6
Re: Model kits

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Alot of good info and discussion on this topic.Keep it going guy's and thanks again.
Make Safety Priority #1
fsone is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:18 PM   #12
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 101

If you're looking for a good selection, both Sig and Balsa USA have quite a few.

I just built 2 BUSA Northstars and have a BUSA EAA Bipe going on the build table this winter. Currently flying the Sig Skybolt and had their Smith Mini Plane kit, but sold that last weekend at the London Swap Meet. Too many other projects and the EAA Bipe is a better match for my 4-strokes.

Luckily, I still have a Goldberg Super Chip kit that has been in storage for 20 + years. Also sorry to see Goldberg go as they were great kits.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:22 PM   #13
Wheels_78
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Cory VS
Radio of choice:
Giving the 11x a try
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 1

HAM is not dead because you can't buy transistors, check out a site like digikey.com you can get anything you want and likely cheaper (relatively) than you've ever been able to get it before. HAM is dead because it's been replaced by the technology you used to make your post. Internet and cellular communication make HAM radio look ancient, unreliable, and tiny in scope.

When I want to write a note I don't use a bottle of ink and a feather, and it's not because I couldn't find a bird if I needed one.

We aught to be trying to see things in that light, we should realize that change does not mean we lose out on what came before (last time I was in a major hobby shop they still had a good sized section of free flight kits guyl), it means we have multitudes of previously unavailable opportunities.
Wheels_78 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:44 PM   #14
Helno
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Ryan D

Total Props: 45

I have bought kits from these guys http://www.stevensaero.com/ They make nice laser cut kits and don't seem to pricey.
Helno is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:02 PM   #15
HalfaStrut
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Patrick Konkle

Total Props: 0

Hi

We live in a world of instant gratification. People say they are just to busy to spend the time it takes to build...........anything.
I worked part time in a hobby shop for 5 yrs, 5 yrs ago. And in that short span the kit section went down by 45% and the RTR went up as much. It got to the point where people not only wanted them RTR but pre painted, pre detailed, and pre weathered as well.
I have not been back in RC aviation very long (3yrs) and I see the trend is the same, more ARFs and RTFs than kits . Hopefully there some Dads and Grand Dads out there that will try to intrest the young in the joys of building again............... HOPEFULLY !

Thanks Pat
HalfaStrut is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:08 PM   #16
russ
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: russ h
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels_78 View Post
HAM is not dead because you can't buy transistors, check out a site like digikey.com you can get anything you want and likely cheaper (relatively) than you've ever been able to get it before. HAM is dead because it's been replaced by the technology you used to make your post. Internet and cellular communication make HAM radio look ancient, unreliable, and tiny in scope.

When I want to write a note I don't use a bottle of ink and a feather, and it's not because I couldn't find a bird if I needed one.

We aught to be trying to see things in that light, we should realize that change does not mean we lose out on what came before (last time I was in a major hobby shop they still had a good sized section of free flight kits guyl), it means we have multitudes of previously unavailable opportunities.
The new name for HAM guys is Geek, when you can play with something as cool as a picaxe microcontroller and get it to do things unheard of 10 years ago. Radios are fun too and there's been a bit of resurgence regarding antenna arrays because of the "evil" FPV flyers and geeky kids wanting share wi-fi with the entire neighbourhood!

As far as kits go I'm not entirely convinced the market is dead. I think custom laser cutting is causing it to change. I'm looking forward to the day when I design & build my 1st plane from the ground up using a CAD program.
russ is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:30 AM   #17
Wheels_78
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Cory VS
Radio of choice:
Giving the 11x a try
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 1

I designed a profile plane in autocad last year........ then I dropped my laptop.

Sorry OP, getting way off topic here...... but I think the thread indicates... kit building isn't dead an I think if you do some online searching you'll find there's lots out there.
Wheels_78 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:40 PM   #18
JohnM
RCC Contributor

I am: John M.
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 5

This is good topic - lots of hints and ideas. Personally, I have not built a plane for a few years now and am starting to get the itch back. Was surprised to learn there are quite a few "cottage industry" kit suppliers out there. Cheers
Old 11-20-2010, 02:31 PM   #19
Nuker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

Well it's swap meet season and there always seem to be some kits for sale at them. Many times the owner has too many kits and realizes they'll never get built or they just don't have enough time to spend. Some charge a great deal but others are much more reasonable; doesn't hurt to ask.

There are even several laser companies out there willing to supply out of production short kits.

With a little work and a little luck, there are still some great, hard to find, kits out there.

According to my wife, in 20 years I'll be at a swap meet selling some of my collection. (naw, she's dreaming) I'd love to see a Sportster Bipe .40 kit come back out. I have a used one and definitely one of my favorites, though it is starting to show some age, kinda like the pilot.

Don't give up on kits, they are around though the marketplace appears ot be shrinking a bit.

Bob
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in