How expensive can model airplanes get? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 07:56 PM   #1

Total Props: 57
How expensive can model airplanes get?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I got unto this topic at lunch today when one of the co-op students got talking about his hobbies and recreational activities and I mentioned model aircraft. He very quickly progressed to stating that he'd seen planes on YouTube that cost tens of thousands of dollars to build. He even said that he'd seen one that cost 200,000 to build.

I did get him nailed down on one specific airplane and he phoned one of his buddies to verify the price: Chris Golds turbine B-52 was suppedly 60,000.00 (assuming US dollars).

My off-head-top guessimate came up with 16 thou for the motors (probalby discounted or loaned by Wren from the get-go since this was advertising for their product), plus another 5 thou for the plane and fittings, but 60???????

I did tell Ivan that the Internet in general is rife with exaggeration, and YouTube is Boast-Central.

I have seen some big and probably expensive models, but ones that cost 200 thou??????

Better yet, has anyone got Chris Golds' e-mail address of RCGroups name so I can get the facts on what that project actually cost?

Me? I've never had a project go over a couple hundred, and the last one that did was my first large electric plane (.45 trainer conversion with AXI 2826/10, CC Phoenix 45, and Polyquest 3300 4S 20C), still have everything but the trainer in the basement going into a Sig Kougar.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:04 PM   #2
waylander
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
JR 12X/DX3R
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50
Re: How expensive can model airplanes get?

I think that if you go big and realistic enough scale you can get into the really high numbers.
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:42 PM   #3
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61

Well, considering there are "regular joes" here in Canada flying relatively small turbine models that cost $20K - getting together a jet model that costs $50K or more isnt very hard. There is a large scale F86 that I believe costs upwards of $40K US for just the airframe.

Wren most definitely did not discount the engines for the large B52 - they dont need to advertise, they cant keep up with orders as is...

With some of the large aerobatic IMAC planes (built from all stock kits, engines and hardware) coming in at $8K to $10K Canadian, its not unreasonable to get a model that costs a lot more IF you are getting custom made stuff like retracts or other machined components.

Also, what about radio gear? A simple 1/3scale aerobatic plane like the Sukhoi Su26 I just put together had only 5 8711 servos that cost $1000 right there. Radio gear was well over $2K by the time you add a few battery packs, a single receiver and a few extra parts... a l;arge model using multiple receivers, power distribution system and multi battery's, many high power servos (something like an 8711 at $200 doesnt take long to add up the $$'s) and you may have $10K just in flight gear!

This hobby is great because you can have fun with a $15 stick and tissue model, or a $100 foamy, or a $300 .40 size sport plane all the way up to a multi-$k model and everything in between... Its all about what you want to get in the air and how much you can afford to lose in a crash.

AJC
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:25 PM   #4
yakityyak
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Andrew Collins

Total Props: 0

Talking with a gentelman at the Weak Signals show last year in front of his F16, I bet he listed over 80k in parts alone. Custom turbine and components including auto start, full hydraulics-not air- oil system for the retracts and operational sliding canopy, gear doors and all the actuators, full lighting system with strobes and nav lights, functional dash lights and controls that move with the controls, ect ect ect. I seem to remeber the 100k number thrown around but I'm pretty sure that wasnt including the man hours, so yea. I'd say it can get pretty high. He was from Ontario actually too, Ottawa area??? I have a poor memory, but I will look into it!
yakityyak is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:46 AM   #5
Mike Emilio
RCC Pro Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCoholic View Post
, , , ,
, , , ,
Also, what about radio gear?
, , , ,
, , , ,
AJC
And then there might be the exhorborant few, that can afford all the live telemetry and autonomous electronic stuff, which might alone be maybe $10,000!
Mike Emilio is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:23 AM   #6
planecrazy
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Chris R

Total Props: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakityyak View Post
Talking with a gentelman at the Weak Signals show last year in front of his F16, I bet he listed over 80k in parts alone. Custom turbine and components including auto start, full hydraulics-not air- oil system for the retracts and operational sliding canopy, gear doors and all the actuators, full lighting system with strobes and nav lights, functional dash lights and controls that move with the controls, ect ect ect. I seem to remeber the 100k number thrown around but I'm pretty sure that wasnt including the man hours, so yea. I'd say it can get pretty high. He was from Ontario actually too, Ottawa area??? I have a poor memory, but I will look into it!

That was Graeme Meers, and yes he's Canadian.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:45 AM   #7
747drvr
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Marc T
Radio of choice:
Futaba

The ill fated B-52 wasn't Chris Gold's plane . I believe the builder/pilot was Gord Nichols .

Marc
Old 12-10-2008, 08:46 AM   #8
ronnieo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ron
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 23

Total Props: 19

The most expensive heartbreaker I know of is the guy who had the British Airways Concorde at Toledo 4 years ago with 4 turbines and a complete interior with cabin lights, retractable nose,expensive landing gear and it came with it's own trailer for hauling...the asking price was $85000 US and he huffed it in the ground three months later, and his wife left him over it...as reported the next year at Toledo....OUCH!!!

I got pics of it somewhere on a disk here...intact!!
ronnieo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:27 AM   #9
scott H
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: scott h

HIS WIFE LEFT HIM. hmmmm. where can i get one of these jets. just kidding couldn't resist.
scott H is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:52 PM   #10
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27

Still cheaper than golf
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in