Beginner glider - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Sailplanes / Electro-gliders Discuss quiet flight in Canada.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:32 AM   #1
Mannywest
RCC Apprentice

I am: Manfred W
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 1
Beginner glider

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi everybody, I still consider myself a beginner, even though I've been flying for almost a year and would like to get into gliding. With that in mind, and with finances a bit tight, I was looking at the HERR RALLY-XP KIT from sigmfg.com. Has anybody built and flown this model and would it be a good one to start with? Any advice would greatly appreciated.
Mannywest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232
Re: Beginner glider

That doesn't seem to be too bad. It looks like your basic glider.

But given this day and age, may I ask why you would not opt for a simpler foam glider, like the Radian from parkzone?

http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=PKZ4775

There is no building involved, just plug and play.

And for a beginner, there is less damage occurring from an "oops" moment with the radian as you could have with the Herr Rally (or any build-up balsa glider). Just my opinion but I just though I would throw that out, just in case you might be interested in alternatives.

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:28 AM   #3
Mannywest
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Thank you Max for your reply. I did have my eye on the floater jet from Hobby King but I thought this would be a more economical way to go. I have a motor, servos and RX from another plane that I salvaged, which was about the same seize as this one. That way I could keep the cost down.
Manfred

Old 10-28-2011, 11:28 AM   #4
williame3590
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: William A
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 116

+1 for Max

Bill
Old 10-28-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
Max
Administrator

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannywest View Post
Thank you Max for your reply. I did have my eye on the floater jet from Hobby King but I thought this would be a more economical way to go. I have a motor, servos and RX from another plane that I salvaged, which was about the same seize as this one. That way I could keep the cost down.
Manfred
If cost is an issue, it would be wise to do a cost analysis between a used PNP and a kit

Its no wonder kit built planes are getting less and less popular. you have to add the cost of the kit, the glue and other hardware you need to build it, add the cost of COVERING it (covering alone can get quite expensive) and when you add it all up, the kit+other materials is more expensive than the ARF

Manny, I would suggest you take a look around for a used Radian and compare that cost to buying the kit, covering, etc....

My brother bought a Radian this spring- it was almost brand new, and he paid $60 for it, PNP. It came with battery, charger, all accessories except an RX, which he plugged in and we were flying that afternoon.
He has never dinged it, but if he did, I guarantee it would sustain less damage than a built-up glider, and would be easier to repair.

So in my mind, I would compare the cost of the kit+covering+time vs a used Radian before deciding.

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:00 PM   #6
Mannywest
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Thank you gentlemen for your advice, a lot of food for thought. Maybe I should put an add on our local kijiji see if I find something.
Thanks again
Manfred
Old 10-28-2011, 03:25 PM   #7

Total Props: 57

I built a Sig Riser from a short kit last winter. I did have to buy another motor, ESC, folding prop... and it cost me over 300 bucks to get it into the air. A New Radian PNP is 160 bucks at GH.

Its kind of funny, the Radian seems to get the fuse banged up, the Balsa Sig always gets the wing banged up! A new fuse for a Radian is 36 bucks. A Radian is a bargin that flies well, if ya think about it.

Maybe Mannywest needs to occupy his time though! Building any plane makes the re-build of any other plane a lot less stressful. Trust me, I've re-built a lot this year!
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:23 PM   #8
Beerwiser
RCC Contributor

I am: Ted
Radio of choice:
dx8
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 12

+1 for the radian, or if you have servos etc handy multiplex easy star or easy glider would be my next choice. I have been watching the Edmonton Kijiji and have yet to see a radian show up as I have been looking for a radian pro, maybe you will have some better luck if you post a wanted ad.

Last edited by Beerwiser; 10-28-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Beerwiser is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:53 PM   #9
Mannywest
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Ted, thank you for your reply. Have you heard of the floater jet from Hobby King? It is listed under gliders. The price looks good even with shipping.
Manfred
Old 10-28-2011, 06:56 PM   #10
Beerwiser
RCC Contributor

I am: Ted
Radio of choice:
dx8
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 12

I have seen the floater before, its the knock off of the easy star. You are more than welcome to come to my neck of the woods and look for my easy star, you can have it if you find it since I replaced it already lol. BTW I think the easy star is $75 and comes with the brushed motor, just add servos bat and Rx.
Beerwiser is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in