Peter_H
RCC Contributor

I am: Peter Hildebrandt
Radio of choice:
JR 9303, PCM 10X
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 0
A-10 Build Thread

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Builders/Owners/Pilots:
Mike B.
Peter H.

Aircraft:
FAIRCHILD A-10 / OA-10 THUNDERBOLT II »WARTHOG«
Manufacturer: Mibo Modeli (Mibo Jets) www.mibojets.com
Distributor: Roger Shipley www.jetadic.com
Version: 1st generation

Specs:
Scale: 1:5.8
Wingspan: 118 in
Wing Area: 2100 sq. in.
Length: 108 in
Kit weight: 50 - 60 lbs.
Turbines: 2 X 17 to 28 lbs thrust
Functions: elevators, ailerons, rudders, throttles, flaps, landing gear, brakes, canopy

Project History:
A number of years ago a bunch of club members from the Niagara Region Model Flying Club Inc. www.nrmfc.ca joined together to build a club project during the winter months. It was decided a .15 size Wild Thing would be a very easy, inexpensive and fun airplane to build. We all had a great time cutting out wood, building, covering and then flying as a group. The next winter, we all agreed on a Cloud Dancer designed by Fred Reese, then a .40 size Wild Thing, next we went larger and built five 25% Midwest Extra 300s (group members were now down to 5 people). Some finished their Extras some didn’t and over time, we couldn’t all agree on what to build next. In 2000, Mike and I started on a project of our own. We have always liked large scale models and we each had a 40cc gas engine looking for a new home. So, we decided to build a Ziroli DC-3/C-47. We worked on it one night a week during the fall and winter months and, in 5 “long” years (950 hours) we finished and flew our largest most complex scratch built project. We shared the costs, building and flying. Last winter we took a break while members continually asked with anticipation what our next project would be.

This is it, the A-10. We chose it for a number of reasons; large wheels and high lift wings in order to fly from grass fields, highly maneuverable not like the DC-3, engines mounted high on the aircraft for less chance of FOD damage, it’s quite unique in our circle of clubs and there’s the wow factor - it’s big for a jet. Scratch building was a consideration (mostly for cost) but spending another 5 or so years was daunting. Amazingly, a first generation kit became available on R/C Universe for a fraction of a new kit’s price including a number of optional parts (thanks Jeremy). It is highly prefabricated, has outstanding craftsmanship, is much more complex and yes, much more expensive. It’s doubtful either of us alone could purchase and build a model of this nature. That’s why like the DC-3, Mike and I joined forces (and funds)!

People have suggested we start this build thread in order to detail the building process and allow others to follow the progress. Our reason is a bit more selfish. We hope to tap the expansive knowledge from R/C Canada members out there. This is our first “jet” and we’ve got lots to learn – we’re going to need help!
So, here goes……..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dscf3815_sm_393.jpg
Views:	956
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	28477   Click image for larger version

Name:	a10-1_sm_148.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	28478  

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:53 PM   #2
Peter_H
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 9303, PCM 10X

Prior to the official “start date” we spent some time inventorying the parts, removing 11 garbage bags of Styrofoam peanuts used for packing the model, and tended to the landing gear which over the years had begun to show some signs of surface rust. The kit arrived from Louisiana in a nicely made crate by the seller measuring 10 feet long, 2 feet wide and 2 ˝ feet high! Although very large, it only weighed 60 lbs. The border guards questioned how large a “model airplane” could be. He then compared the crate to a coffin, looked us over for a minute, then waved us through - not before charging us with the taxes, (OUCH)!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	crate_in_trailer1_sm_176.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	28479   Click image for larger version

Name:	crate_in_trailer_5_sm_901.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	28480   Click image for larger version

Name:	our_plane_7_sm_189.jpg
Views:	736
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	28481  
Old 11-23-2007, 09:17 PM   #3
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61
Thats awesome! The A10 is probably my dream jet... although I'd settle for a smaller one for a pair of MW54's

Good luck and its going to be amazing!

AJC
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:27 PM   #4
Wayne22
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: wayne b

Total Props: 13
Oh man...what a project..... I'm sure if it wasn't for the fact that it needs two ($$$) engines, you would see more of them flying. .......

Years ago in RCM. Mike Pastro did a construction article on a 40 pusher A-10. I ran across his prototype in a swap meet and bought it. It flew beautifully....but always in the back of my mind,.......if it was bigger, with turbines, and tons of ordinace slung under the wings............<insert dream scene here> ..........

You have a great project there, and I look forward to reading your progress reports......
Old 11-24-2007, 01:00 AM   #5
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCoholic
Thats awesome! The A10 is probably my dream jet... although I'd settle for a smaller one for a pair of MW54's

Good luck and its going to be amazing!

AJC
DITTO!

Andrew I knew there was a reason I liked you!

Here is some more inspiration Mike and Peter.

MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Windy you ask? I have Whitecaps on my Coffee, YOU be the Judge!
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:14 AM   #6
Peter_H
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 9303, PCM 10X

Hey guys, glad to see there are other "Hawg" fans out there. We'll need a ton of "inspiraton" Jim.

To prevent the rust on the landing gear from getting worse, we disassembled, sanded, cleaned, painted and lubed all the parts including the O-rings for the brakes.

November 20, 2007 – the official start date.
The instruction manual is meant for “experienced builders” (also known as vague), so Mike and I had to determine some sort of building order since there are no step by step instructions. We decided the first step was to mount the wings. With pictures from other builders and a little head scratching, we commenced cutting wood for inside the fuselage to support the wing tube as it goes through the fuselage. This is a “first generation” kit as there have been many upgrades and modifications since. We hope to incorporate some of these upgrades while we progress with the building.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	landing_gear_after_paint_sm_571.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	28483  
Old 11-24-2007, 02:31 PM   #7
SteveD
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Steven Daly
Radio of choice:
futaba
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 1
Awesome Peter ,good luck on your project.Looks like a glass fuse,you going to glass the wings and tail also?
Steve
SteveD is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:25 PM   #8
RC_MAN
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Peter D
Radio of choice:
Powerbox Core
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 10
A10

I'm sure the two of you will do a great job. Bring it to our Jets over Leamington in May to show it off.

Peter
Old 11-24-2007, 08:53 PM   #9
Mlefebvre
RCC Noob

I am: Martin l
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

I`m doing one for two wren 54

the plug is almost done with all rivet and panel line.

everything will be ready for this summer.

Martin L
Mlefebvre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:20 AM   #10
Peter_H
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 9303, PCM 10X

Thanks Steve! Good to hear from you. Have you gotten any other flights on your DC-3. We didn't get many this year but now have 20 successful flights! Yes, A-10 fuse is fiberglass and the wings are foam sheeted with balsa. The work is incredible! Even all the flying surfaces are hinged! If the DC-3 took us 5 years, we are already at year 4 with this one! We will be fiberglassing the wings, stabs and flying surfaces.

Peter, we'd love to bring out the A-10 to Leamington next year, thanks. By then we should have it on it's gear and all "assembleable"

Martin, WOW. Any pictures of your A-10 and where are you from?

Peter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	kw_scale_rally_2007__5_of_12__sm_154.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	28529   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic_3_from_phil_839.jpg
Views:	1426
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	28530  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in