Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 50

Total Props: 0
U-Can_Do 46 Size

Just wondering what engine to put on the
Great Planes U-Can_Do 46.
I have a new Webra Speed 50, but am considering
buying OS FS-70 Ultimate Pump, 4 stroke.
Never had a 4 Stroke, but maybe this would be the
time to start.
Also
What prop should I use with either of these engines? : :

MAAC #23584L
IMAC #4335
Past President Soo Modellers
Steven Dew is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-14-2004, 07:27 PM   #2
treecutter
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Chris l

hey I have the 40 size UCD I'm using a saito 91 for power with a 15x4w prop, this is the perfect compination, I would not have ANY less motor if you have any intention of doing 3d type maneuvers...and you know it is a big plane when you get right down to it. Thats me two bits

Chris
treecutter is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:44 PM   #3
Ramz-to-tha-Z

Do you already have the UCD? Because if you don't I would seriously look at the Hangar 9 Funtana 40 size. I've had both the UCD 46 and the Hangar 9 Funtana and I must say that I like the Funtana more. I like the Funtana more because it's more of a 3D plane whereas the UCD is more of a funfly plane. The build quality of the UCD, I felt, was somewhat lacking. It is a rather flimsy aircraft whereas the Funtana looks much nicer and seems to built a bit sturdier.

I have flown both with a Saito 100 with a APC 15x4W prop. I could never get the Saito to run right on the UCD and I believe it is because of the pathetic tank placement. What was Great Planes thinking? I think the tank is way too high which was causing the engine to continually flood and stall. I first had the Saito in the UCD but I now have it in my Funtana and it works really well. It's got more than enough power for ANY 3D type maneuver you may want to attempt. It is surging slightly at an idle but I think it may be due to an airleak somewhere's around the carb.

As far as engine choices go you've got to ask yourself what you want to do with the plane. If all you want to do is basic aerobatics (loops and rolls, stalls) then you'd be ok with using the Webra 50. If you want to do some basic 3D stuff then the OS Ultimate 70, Saito 72/82, YS 63 would all work great. If you want to get into the advanced 3D aerobatics then you would be wise to go with a Saito 91 or the Saito 100. I myself wouldn't go with anything less than a Saito 91 but I'm trying to get into the advanced 3D stuff. In my opinion the OS 70 Ultimate is a bit overpriced. I have a Saito 72 on a Hangar 9 Twist and it is the sweetest glow engine i have ever owned. It is working so good that I wouldn't trade it for anything! I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

I'm doing a review for RC Canada on the 40 size Funtana. I'll have a full write up with some pics and some videos in the near future so if you want to see how the engine and airframe performs you should check it out.

You'll get all sorts of different opinions about airframe/engine combos but youv'e got to choose whatever works for you. Hope this helps!
Ramz-to-tha-Z is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:53 AM   #4
dondow

Morning Steven

Here is a product review of the UCANDO .46

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=187

I am installing a new OS .70 4 stk in mine.

Cheers
Don Dow
dondow is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:54 AM   #5
dondow

Good Morning Chris/Treecutter

Just noticed that you live in Sask.

How many feet above sea level do you live?

I learned to fly full scale in Lethbridge, Alberta at 3,000 feet above sea level. When I joined the navy and moved to Esquimalt/Victoria/Pat Bay. We were flying at sea level. What a difference or should I say what an improvement in performance.

I suspect that out on the prairies you guys need much more power.

I would suggest that Steven go with what he has, a .70 4 stroke. My nephew in Missassauga Ont. and a friend of his fly the UCANDO 90 with the Saito 100 and both are very happy with that combination.

cheers
Don Dow
Ottawa
dondow is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:45 AM   #6
2thelmt
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: ID

I had never had a 4-stroke untill I bought a Saito 100 for my FuntanaS 40 and it is a great engine. Very reliable and powerful for unlimited 3D aerobatics. The extra power is good for situations where you need to blast your way out of trouble (which I get into alot )
I run an APC 15X4 W and it works great!
Ian
Old 08-18-2004, 11:30 PM   #7
HenryPel
RCC Apprentice

I am: Henry Pel
Radio of choice:
Graupner, Air SD-10G, Fut 9C (2.4Hitec),Hitec Eclipse (2.4)
# of RCs: 10+

UCan Do 3D .46

I am in process of assembling mine

engine GMS .76 with a 14 x 4w APC prop
Tru-turn spinner
and a Sullivan 12 oz flex tank
Hitec 605 bb servos except for rudder 645
HenryPel is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:41 PM   #8
treecutter
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Chris l

Hey Dondow, we're at 1653 asl here in saskatoon, There is a little difference, but I KNOW I would rather have a saito 100 on my plane than the 91 that is currently there, sure mine hovers great with the 91, and pulls out pretty good, even on days with a high density altitude, no problem. There is no doubt that the .72 will fly the plane well, I just think that it will leave him wishing for more power. By the way a 4-stroke is THE way to go, they just work so much better for this style of flying and are really easy on fuel to boot. Have fun!
treecutter is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in