tporter416
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Tom P
Radio of choice:
Spektrum iX12
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 13
Re: Midair

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
The highway analogy is totally wrong, this isn't a highway, it was a flight line. Helicopters often do manouvers in a tight area. Planes like to do high speed passes. This is what pilots of the different types of aircraft do! the problem with the video is it does not show enough to really determine who is at fault. I would say it is one of two scenarios:

1) If the plane took off first, then the heli, at this point since they are on the same line and the heli needs to keep its manouvers like a plane, or make sure any manouvers it is doing can be completed to move off the flight line in case of the plane coming around. This would then be the fault of the heli as the plane had the field first.

2) If the heli took off first, then the plane, the plane should be aware that the heli had the flight line first and to not do low speed passes unless the pilot was sure the heli was clear. In this case I would say the plane is at fault.

In either case if one had just waited for a maximum of 4 minutes for the other to clear out, they would have had a much better day. The plane pilot only gave 10 or 11 seconds of warning for the low speed pass, not enough for a heli in the middle of manouvers that has to stop the manouver and move out of the way! Personally if a SAB Goblin is flying on the flight line at my club, I wait before flying my plane, even though he says he can get out of the way, it is still too risky...

Tom
SAB Goblin Kraken, SAB Goblin 500, SAB Goblin 420, Oxy 2, 180 Fusion, mCPX BL, mCPX BL2, nano CP S, Freewing F-14, FMS Rafale, Freewing F-5N, Freewing BAE Hawk, FMS F-18, A-10, GP Super Sportster, P-39, Spitfire Mk.IX 1200mm, Dogfighter, FMS F-35, FW F-18, E-Max 250 Quad
tporter416 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #22
Frank Klenk
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Frank Klenk
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgp View Post
From a colleague of mine,sounds like a "FPV" wanting a close up of a triple 7.This could have been serious.

Hi Al; From a VR 777 Captain

Lawrence

Fri 29 Mar 2013 around 1415L YVR time. On a coupled ILS for26R, about 1.5 from TOTIM, 170K. To the right of centreline, spotted the model at the 2:00 position, I'm guessing 2000 ft. and 20 to 30 metres away. Not sure if the model was really big, or if it seemed big because it was so close. Also couldn't tell if it was moving and if so in which direction, or if hovering. For sure, it was VERY close to a hit.

We passed by it very quickly ; in view only for 1 or 2 seconds. It was close enough and in view long enough to note that it was dark blue in colour and shaped like a Hughes 500. I saw the whirling rotor blades and could see the skids used as landing gear.

I was PNF and reported the sighting to Tower North. Many aircraft behind us also reported seeing it. Taxiiing in, we were to stay with Tower, and there was lots of chatter on the frequency of other aircraft seeing the same thing.

ASR filed. Reported also to Dispatch Chief, who said he would call YVR Tower. He said it might become a police matter.
No one has commented on Al's post, perhaps everyone missed it. Not related to the plane and heli midair but ... Have a read, it's serious.
MECA 4762
Thank a farmer
My Website, https://frankshangar.com/
My YouTube channels,
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7m...ZDhGp4w/videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-k...8MphsMZuVfwqJw
Frank Klenk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #23
Helno
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Ryan D

Total Props: 45

It seems to me that that anyone involved with MAAC who owns a large scale Hughes 500 would likely know better than to do that.

What I'd like to know is how it was being flown that high up. I wasn't aware that conventional r/c helicopters were common for FPV flying.
Helno is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:23 AM   #24
jason.rule
RCC Noob

I am: Jason R

Total Props: 0

My name is Jason Rule, I'm an Inspector with Transport Canada and I am trying to get any information on the operator of the RC Helicopter in the above incident. This incident is very serious.

If you have anything to share,
jason.rule@tc.gc.ca

Cheers,
jason.rule is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #25
wilf
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: wilf h
# of RCs: 1

Total Props: 1

I think most of us here are on your side Jason. Hopefully you can find the perpatartor in this case.
Wilf
wilf is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #26
spog

I am: Sean C

Total Props: 7

TC finally put the clamps on the RC/AP yahoos hiding behind modelers privileges. I don't know how they will deal with the FPV scourge, the greatest risk to the hobby we love.
spog is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #27
Wizzard
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Wayne S.

Total Props: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spog View Post
I don't know how they will deal with the FPV scourge, the greatest risk to the hobby we love.
So one person acts like an idiot and you put them all under the same umbrella? WOW !

I know for a fact there are guys out there flying planes & helicopters that have done "stupid" things as well, should we all be branded as "scourge" then ?
Wizzard is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #28
spog

Quote:
So one person acts like an idiot
Youtube not working for you?
The whole premise of FPV is to fly out of normal visual range, it should not be part of this hobby. You want to fly FPV under 400ft at the flying field, fine. Don't know why anyone would want to but that's OK.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #29
wilf
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: wilf h
# of RCs: 1

Total Props: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spog View Post
Youtube not working for you?
The whole premise of FPV is to fly out of normal visual range, it should not be part of this hobby. You want to fly FPV under 400ft at the flying field, fine. Don't know why anyone would want to but that's OK.
I do not bielieve it part of this hobby. It's part of there hobby I assume you give them the right to participate in there hobby as you would like to participate in yours
Wilf
wilf is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #30
spog

Any hobby, no matter how dangerous, no matter how much risk society is exposed to, is fine by you wilf?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in