Need input on a 4 stroke purchase - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

View Poll Results: Which night do you prefer for Racing\Practice?
Both nights work! 17 37.78%
Thursday 8 17.78%
Monday 12 26.67%
Neither night works! 8 17.78%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 10:50 PM   #1
Hughes500E
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Steve H.

Total Props: 16
Need input on a 4 stroke purchase

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have to buy another large 4 stroke... What would you buy?
Please leave a comment if you like..........
Thanks....
Hughes500E is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:59 PM   #2
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0
It depends on what airplane you are using it on.
Saito 100 would be a good choice in some airplanes in place of the 120.

Ronm

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:18 PM   #3
Hughes500E
RCC Supreme Contributor

It's going into a 68inch Yak 54.................................
Prototype is just over 8lbs with a YS 110...... Over 900 Sq inches of wing.....
Here's some pics...............
It WILL be my next craft....................... just getting ready!

Old 08-28-2003, 11:19 PM   #4
Hughes500E
RCC Supreme Contributor

Another.......................
Old 08-28-2003, 11:34 PM   #5

Total Props: 57
For sheer power output you nothing will match a YS cube for cube, but it comes at a higher price and a love of high nitro fuel. A YS's throttle response is unmatched plus you have the ability to place the tank any location you want. Those are big pluses on an aerobatic model.

One thing though, they are not any more troublesome and do not require any more maintenance than any other four-stroke.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-29-2003, 05:45 AM   #6
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61
I'd go for the YS...
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:13 AM   #7
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba

From the choices you gave, I'd go with the YS, but bang for the buck on your YAK, I'd use the Saito 100.

Ronm

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
Old 08-29-2003, 08:52 AM   #8

Ok lets revisit the bang for the buck idea. First thing we need to do is compare apples to apples.....a Saito 100 WILL NOT match the YS 110 under any circumstances so its just not a fair comparison. Even the Saito 120 will not keep up but its as close as we can get as the 150 would outpull the 110.

So the next thing in apples to apple is the fuel system, the Saito does not have a pressurized system, thankfully people make these aftermarket and they run about $50 US....so now we are on the same playing field.

So a YS 110 is 334.95 USD
A Saito 120S is 329.95 USD plus the Cline system or 379.95 USD

Weight and the rest of the stuff is essentially equal, except that the 110 will still put out more power than the 120S.....so why spend more money and get a weaker motor, that will still not throttle and run like a YS? Even if you got the Saito 100 by the time you add the Cline system you are only like $10 cheaper than the YS....again for much less power and performance.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:44 AM   #9
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba

OK, I didn't realize the YS110 was available at such a reasonable price. I assumed it would be around the typical YS Canadian price of $700. to $800 bucks. $500 Canadian puts it in a different price class than I thought.

However, I would not discount the Saito 100 if price is a major factor. At $415. Cdn it's a deal. When using a standard fuel tank installation, a pump is just no necessary for this engine. Don't forget about fuel cost. YS recommends a MINIMUM of 20% nitro, 20% oil fuel. Saito runs great on 10-15% nitro, and standard oil content fuel. This is a cosiderable cost saving. I don't know the weight of the YS, but the Saito 100 is 19.5 oz.

In summary, if you need all the power and performance you can get, and you don't mind spending a few bucks more (on an ongoing basis, remember the fuel cost), definately go with the YS.

If budget is your prime concern, and you need very good sport power and performance along with lightness, use the Saito 100.

Saito 120 was a very good engine, but power/weight ratio makes it less desirebale compared to today's choices.

Ronm

Flying Tigers RC Club
Old 08-29-2003, 09:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronm
Don't forget about fuel cost. YS recommends a MINIMUM of 20% nitro, 20% oil fuel. Saito runs great on 10-15% nitro, and standard oil content fuel.

Another YS myth perpetuated by us pattern fliers

Fact is YS Japan does ALL its testing on 15% fuel, and 20% oil is just a saftey margin....I run 18% in my YS's all the time, fact is the coolpower that most YS guys use only has 17% oil in it, its all about quality not quantity

You will get the best performance on high nitro and they are much easier to tune running high nitro but its simply not the requirement that most people are lead to believe.

A fellow pattern flier would not believe me that a 140DZ would run on 15% fuel, so I borrowed his fuel and flew an entire contest using it After that he went and bought the motor and now runs it on 15% and loves it
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in