reciever damaged possibly? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 08:14 PM   #1
joey

Total Props: 0
reciever damaged possibly?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi guys, I need some help with a problem I am currently facing, Last week I had a terrible crash that happened , and then .60 size plane went like a bullet into the ground, I went and retrieved all the pieces, and when I was at home, I wanted to check my radio gear, hoping there was no damage, as I plugged all the servos in, then the battery, I turned on the transmitter, and there absolutely is no response, I double checked all the connections, but no luck. I opened up the reciever to check that the antenna is still atatched, and it appears to be in good contact with the solder joint,however, I think I lost about 1/2 an inch off of the top of the antenna, probably from the place it was atatched to the fin at, Now the radio I have is the JR 8103, with the 700 series reciever, on channel 53,so what i did next, was to take out the crystal, and put it into another JR reciever that I have, and am sure it works properly,but again with the newer reciever, and the switched crystal, I still am getting no response, I have tried different batteries, just to make sure, but not even a twitch on the servos, so my questions are ;1) is it possible that I damaged the crystal, and thats why no response, 2) can I just take one crystal out of one reciever, and put into another reciever, and think it should work just fine? 3)is there any way to test the reciever, or the crystall, so I can hopefully pinpoint the problem, thanks for all help guys,,,Joey,,,
joey is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:35 PM   #2
superdave
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Dave B

Total Props: 3
Receiver

You probably broke a solder joint on impact.
For what you can buy a new receiver for(50-60 bucks) I wouldn't chance
using the one you have even if you do fix it...
Dave
superdave is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:44 PM   #3
4REDave
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Dave

No problem swapping crystals, as long as they are from like receivers. I would suggest after a hard crash you should send the receiver in to get checked over. Cheap insurance! The fact that you tried the crystal in another known working receiver suggests that the cystal may be the issue. Good luck and sorry about your loss.
4REDave is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 07-02-2005, 09:17 PM   #4
KevinPerry
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Kevin P
Radio of choice:
JR 12xMV
# of RCs: 12

The r700 series reciever is maybe worth around 100 bucks .Either send it to be replaced or toss it in the trash .A hard impact like that has probablly done more damage than you think possible ... stress crack the component board .and many other things not visible . Play this one on the safe side as free flight rc is no good to you or your planes

KP

... Some people are like Slinkies ... Not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs..
KevinPerry is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:45 AM   #5
nosedive
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Maurice H
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 8

The manufacturers authorized repair centres are usually VERY reasonable regarding repair costs. It is usually way cheaper to repair than replace, even including shipping both ways. I've never dealt with JR but have sent systems to both Airtronics and Hitec for repair and have been absolutely satisfied with both. I see no reason that JR would be different. DON'T ATTEMPT TO FLY WITH THIS FLIGHT PACK UNTIL YOU HAVE IT CHECKED/REPAIRED! Send in ALL the components- receiver, servos, switch harness, battery- JR will thoroughly inspect and repair any damages. Cheap compared to losing another plane, or damaging property or injuring someone because of a faulty radio!

Planes, Pedals, and Motorcycles! (In that order!)

I stopped being politically correct when I found out that some people were offended by it.
nosedive is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:06 AM   #6
Wayne MIller
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Wayne MIller
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303
# of RCs: 19

Total Props: 9
Receiver Repairs

Hi Joey,

Repairs are usually very reasonable for RC radio components.

Also, you can get a complete Hitec flight pack with a universal receiver (jumper selectable for JR, Hitec, or Futaba) with 4 servos, battery pack and switch harness from Great Hobbies or Hobby Wholesale for $100. which includes shipping, that is, if you ask for the MAAC special.

It really is not worth taking a chance on the old receiver, you should get it repaired, or replaced.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne Miller
Wayne MIller is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:29 AM   #7
just_lkn
RCC Contributor

I am: Rick S

Re: reciever damaged possibly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey
I wanted to check my radio gear, hoping there was no damage, as I plugged all the servos in, then the battery, I turned on the transmitter, and there absolutely is no response, I double checked all the connections, but no luck.
This may be a dumb question but I'll ask anyway. Are you using a switch between the battery and receiver? If you are is it the same switch that was involved in the crash.

The reason I ask this is because, I just tested 1 servo connected directly to a battery. (No receiver involved) the the servo slowly turned in a clockwise rotation. Not sure if this is normal or not, but I was testing a brand new futaba 3003 and a fully charged 4 cell pack.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:48 PM   #8
JimBrown
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jim Brown
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-24
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 4
As has been mentioned a couple of times, send the receiver in for a check over and repair if needed.

Go to the product support page of the Horizon Hobbies web site (click here,) and download the "Service & Repair Center Checklist." Print it out, complete it, and pack it in with your receiver.

Horizon Hobbies will either repair the receiver, or they will replace it. At less than the cost of a new receiver.

Last fall, I sent in a JR 10x transmitter and four PCM receivers for a checkup. One of the receivers failed a vibration test. It was replaced under warrenty, and it was over five years old! The total charge for checking the TX and four RX's was $35.00 US, and $5.00 US of that was for postage. When I got the package back, the postage on the box was over $25.00 US! I was not charged for the extra postage.

As far as I'm concerned, Horizon Hobbies customer service is excellent.

Regards,
...jim
JimBrown is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:32 PM   #9
joey

reciever

Thanks guys for all your responses, I will be sending it in to get looked at, I kind of miss not having it to use, but its better to be safe than sorry, thanks again,,,Joey,,,
joey is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in