Vinyl Graphics Cutters - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:12 PM   #11
micadley
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: John C
Radio of choice:
JR XG14, Spektrum iX12
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 6
Re: Vinyl Graphics Cutters

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycrazy View Post
ya but i am saying them mechines wont cut mono coat and ultra coat or even good vinyl it wil only cut cheap vinyl and first time you take your plane up it will rip off or when you put it on it wil be al bubbled no what i man even my cutter it took me like 2 hours to set it up to cut mono coat cause its so thin
I will say that I have been using the Silhouette for over a year and have had no issues. I have cut fine line decals for vehicles as well. I cut our club logo and applied it to the back window of my car last March and it is still there in the same condition as when applied. Unlike most cheap small cutters the Cameo does have adjustable blade pressure and cuts a variety of materials. Mono can be cut using the mat and works well. I even cut the call letters for a full size airplane and they have not failed or peeled or come off for over 6 months now. Before you call this a cheap cutter you need to check it out. I researched a number of cutters and for the size and price it is one very good cutter. The software that comes with it I will say is very basic but it does have some nice features such as the ability to trace which most other commercially available software's do not allow. I like this cutter and if it failed I would buy another one. If I was cutting larger banners, signs and stuff like that this is not the cutter but for anything up to 12" X 9 feet it works just great.

MAAC# 84894 / IMAC# 7441
micadley is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:39 PM   #12
kaptain
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Kevin M
Radio of choice:
Futaba 14SG, Hitec A9x
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 2

My Silhouette Cameo cuts monocote trim sheet, does not cut ultracote trim sheet, cuts good quality vinyl, paint mask and other materials. Works great for a hobbiest, not meant for commercial work.

I have cut vinyl down to about 12 point font (when the blades was new) and am still using the first blade after 1 year. Vinyl Cutters were well researched on another forum, I will post the link if I can find it again. This was what I used to finalize my decision on the Cameo.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1522977

Last edited by kaptain; 12-30-2013 at 11:45 PM.
kaptain is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:42 PM   #13
dashpuppy
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jason L.
Radio of choice:
DS-16
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 22

My uncle has a Vinyl cutting machine he does all my stickers, if you have the font or know what you want im sure we can get you some stuff made up

Pm me..
dashpuppy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:56 PM   #14
pittsflyer111b
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Bob W
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX18QQ

Total Props: 7

Kevin, sent you a pm. Please reply when you get a moment.

Bob
pittsflyer111b is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:44 AM   #15
Nick Milligan
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Nick Milligan

Total Props: 14

I have a bit larger unit called a "Sign Pro". A budget model but it cuts 30" wide vinyl just fine. Once I find an excuse, I will be trying it on Monokote.
Nick Milligan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:11 PM   #16
Midair
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Peter M.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18SZ
# of RCs: 22

Total Props: 26

Last week I received my Silhouette Cameo from Sign Supply Canada. Wow! This thing rocks. I've only had a chance to scratch the surface of it's capabilities, but so far I'm very impressed and completely satisfied with it's performance. I've managed to cut designs from both MonoKote and Ultracote trim sheets and the only slightly heavier sign vinyl. The MonoKote and Ultracote are a bit of a challenge because the material is so thin, but I nontheless had very good results. The sign vinyl is very good and produces clean cuts in even very detailed patterns; as well, it sticks like sh*t to a blanket. The only downside to the machine, so far, is that I have not been able to cut any letters smaller than approx 1/2". When the letters get smaller than this, the cutter tends to pull the letters from the backing as it cuts. The supplied software is fairly intuitive and quite powerful with lots of custom design options; it helps that there are dozens of on-line Silhouette tutorials. I've attached three pics of some of the designs that I cut. The first one is a Maple Leaf design, cut from Monokote trim sheet, that I placed on my electric 72" Aeroworks Yak 54 rudder; it measures approx. 2 1/2 x 2" (I like to place a maple leaf on the tails of all of my scale 3D aircraft ). The second pic shows the aircraft registration on my 57" 3DHS Extra 330. The registration mark is just under 1/2" high and cut from sign vinyl (I know that the reg is not valid, the "CG" prefix does not exist , but, as a tribute to my wife, her initials "LLM" are placed as registration marks on all of my scale ships ) Lastly the Browning logo was cut from some sign vinyl and measures approx. 2x4". The Browning and maple leaf logos were easily "pulled" from the internet as a JPEG and vector drawing, respectively. While the Silhouette won't replace commercial graphics suppliers, being able to make some of your stuff is very cool and lots of fun. Again, thanks to all of the guys who responded to this thread with advise and information.

Cheers,

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002r.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	230556   Click image for larger version

Name:	003r.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	228.9 KB
ID:	230557   Click image for larger version

Name:	001r.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	230558  
MAAC #22527

Murphy was an optimist; fly safe and have fun.

Last edited by Midair; 02-13-2014 at 02:02 PM.
Midair is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:28 AM   #17
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 34

The Cameo is now on sale at Michael's for $269.00. I picked one up today.
Mike Sebastien is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:57 PM   #18
Midair
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Peter M.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18SZ
# of RCs: 22

Total Props: 26

That's a good price. I paid about the same through Sign Supply Canada, but had to factor in the $30.00 shipping. I don't think that you'll be disappointed with the Silhouette. Just remember that there are limitations. I recommend that you research the Silhouette Cameo on the "net" for tutorials. although many of them are not applicable to the kind of stuff that we want to do, you can pick up a lot of good tips and techniques. Good luck.

Peter
MAAC #22527

Murphy was an optimist; fly safe and have fun.
Midair is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:04 AM   #19
pittsflyer111b
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Bob W
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX18QQ

Total Props: 7

Picked one up myself and it works great. With the proper setup and good quality vinyl, I had no problem cutting 3/16" lettering.

Bob
pittsflyer111b is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:59 PM   #20
Trumpetman
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gordon W
Radio of choice:
JR28x, JRXG11
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 126

Hi Bob, sent you a pm!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in