Composite Warbird Build 1/7th P-40E Warhawk Mould How To - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:45 PM   #1
b1heqh54
RCC Contributor

I am: James G.
# of RCs: 50?

Total Props: 1
Composite Warbird Build 1/7th P-40E Warhawk Mould How To

Hello Everyone - I have to admit to being a quiet observer for some time now, but I've just posted a video on youtube of my ongoing build of an all composite warbird. It's a 1/7th P-40E Warhawk. I don't know how much interest there is for this sort of thing, but you can feel free to watch the video on my channel here http://www.youtube.com/user/b1heqh54

or here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ge3yw99b9g
You can also search for composite warbird. I know how helpful it can be to see pictures of someone elses methods - so if this helps even one person, it will be worth the typing - nice to meet ya
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rightsidefusemould_151.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	31721  
b1heqh54 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:59 AM   #2
voyager_663rd
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len, an RPAS pilot

Total Props: 20
Regarding the pic in your post, if you set up an account on a site like

photobucket.com

you can upload a full sized pic there and then post the img link in your thread here.

Like this

It will then show up nice and big (or maybe not so big). When I open your current pic, it's even smaller than what I see initially. And that is too darn small to see anything.

Need help with that? Just ask.
voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:39 AM   #3
b1heqh54
RCC Contributor

Thanks, I'm on it.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:51 PM   #4
mtnflyer
RCC Senior Contributor

Total Props: 0
And whats going on??? How many different topic listings do you feel it takes to get your message out????

I would like to enjoy your subject, but please, don't over-due by placing it in more than one topic. Just my thoughts. !!!

How do you spell placing. I was going to say putting; but, that sounds wierd, as in the puting you eat.

I've spent most of my money and time on model airplanes, mean women, and beer. All the rest was just a waste.

MAAC 51187
mtnflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:12 AM   #5
b1heqh54
RCC Contributor

Thanks for the input mtnflyer - duely noted. Forums are a new thing for me - I do apologize.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:06 AM   #6
b1heqh54
RCC Contributor

Well,

Since my last post, I've added a couple of videos that have been very popular on other forums, so I'll share them here as well. I've begun to mould the left side of the fuselage now. I hope that I'm providing enough details to encourage others to give this a try. Let me know what you think.
You can check out the videos here
http://www.youtube.com/user/b1heqh54

Now let's see if I've got the photobucket figured out - here's a quick pic of where I'm at - http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/l...t=P4080006.jpg
Old 04-10-2008, 09:08 PM   #7
Leslie
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Leslie S

Total Props: 0
Hello

I think you are doing a wonderful job.

I'm new to the hobby, and have only built one, simple C/L airplane. Seeing works like yours inspires me to keep going, to keep building and learning. Not that I'll ever be able to build a work of art like yours, but, the inspiration you've given me is priceless.

Please, keep up the excellent work.

Leslie
Leslie is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:25 PM   #8
b1heqh54
RCC Contributor

Hello Leslie,

Thank you very much for your kind words, but don't underestimate yourself. I still have my first c/l model. It was a P40 as well. I still have it hanging in storage (along with dozens of other broken down birds - I can't throw them away or leave them behind). It's a Carl Goldberg profile P40. I still think it is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen! I was young, about 12 (1982) and I had read every model airplane magazine that my father had collected since the 1950's. He never built or flew, he just read. We didn't have a lot of money (I had three sisters all within 2yrs of me), so I had tried to make a c/l model of my own out of a piece of pine for the fuselage (profile) and a built up balsa wing. I'd found an old Fox35 in the spring cleanup, thrown away years before. I didn't know then what I know now about spar and shear web design etc etc. (but it's how I learned) and so when I showed up at the park where the only other guy in town who flew, was - with the wing covered in a pair of old nylons and then silkspan and dope - well, he very politely told me that he didn't think that we should fly it because it was too special a plane given that it had been built by such a special little boy, and that I should take it home and hang it up so that I would still have it to look at when I was his age. (it hangs on my wall as inspiration for me now) Well, I didn't know it then, but that man owned the local hobby shop. The one where my father had been buying his magazines for thirty years. The next day, my father came home with that Carl Goldberg profile P40. It felt like the best day of my life! I remeber that I didn't want to cover it with silkspan and dope, so I waited all summer and all fall for christmas to come, for one roll of chrome monokote iron on covering. It was the only thing I wanted (and probably the only thing I got - lol) One of the fondest memories I have is the feeling of pride that I had the next spring standing there going around in circles out in middle with the owner of the hobby shop handing me the handle as my dad watched from the side. Well, like I said, I still have her - sure she's got dirt in carb, and the wings look like a patch work quilt, but that plane taught me about alot more than just preformed leading edge. Remeber these days Leslie, and when you're my age, and someone with their first plane tells you you're an inspiration, you'll realize what the hobby is all about!! Keep flying, keep trying, and remeber - Patience is a virture and there is no trying - only doing, or not doing.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:31 PM   #9
b1heqh54
RCC Contributor

PS - The wing on that first attempt would've folded in a strong breeze carrying it to the park let alone on trying to fly it!!
Old 04-11-2008, 04:23 AM   #10

Total Props: 57
You are doing excellent job there. A friend mentioned this process to me few weeks ago but i was skeptical about it then but now after seeing your videos i feel confident to try it out. Why did you not made molds of the parts separately then attaching them to the fuselage, was there any specific reason?.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in