MAAC Alternative - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
MAAC Model Aeronautics Association of Canada discussion area.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:28 PM   #11
Trumpet
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Mark Betuzzi
Radio of choice:
Spektrum NX-10
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 16
Re: MAAC Alternative

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stegl View Post
Well said Keith. yes, from what I am reading on RCCanada forums about the negatives with MAAC is more often due to first hand knowledge vs second hand misinformation. If more people got informed information from their MAAC area zone rep in their area that would help.
Well said Keith and Len.
I'm tired of the constant critism of MAAC. It's an organization that is respected by Transport Canada, Industry Canada and others. All but 2 of the MAAC members are volunteers who freely give of their time and talents.

If MAAC bashers would take the time to get involved, attend their local Zone meeting, they would see what MAAC is about. If they are so passionate about revising MAAC, take an active role, get on a committee, etc.

http://www.maac.ca/en/docs/maac_explained_r2.pdf
Mark.
Trumpet is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:30 AM   #12
Narly1
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Earl A.

Total Props: 3

I'm not actively flying at the moment (past MAAC member when I did).

Just throwing it out there that maybe a public, plain language document that explains the benefits and scope of MAAC's insurance policy would stop a lot of uninformed discussion such as this.

The other aspect is making the membership better informed of same. I bet most members don't know the policy details.

Earl "Narly1" Anderson
Narly1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:25 AM   #13
kip51035
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM

Total Props: 18

If you think that the personnel liability insurance attached to your house insurance will cover you in a UAV accident, think again!!! Many of these policies have an aviation clause in them. If you are found to have deliberately flown your UAV in the path of an oncoming aircraft, you can expect all insurance companies to cut you loose and transport Canada can impose a large fine or jail time. The same goes for laser beams shone into the cockpit. If what you are doing is an offence then you are standing in the middle of a field all by your self with no one to help!

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:44 AM   #14
DO335
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Cheshire C

Total Props: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpet View Post
Well said Keith and Len.
I'm tired of the constant critism of MAAC. It's an organization that is respected by Transport Canada, Industry Canada and others. All but 2 of the MAAC members are volunteers who freely give of their time and talents.

If MAAC bashers would take the time to get involved, attend their local Zone meeting, they would see what MAAC is about. If they are so passionate about revising MAAC, take an active role, get on a committee, etc.

http://www.maac.ca/en/docs/maac_explained_r2.pdf
Mark.
Exactly how politics work.

Get on a committee and watch the clique continue to run the show - just from closer up. Got to get into the clique. Must have support or support others. As an individual, you'll achieve squat - just as independent members of parliament get nowhere as a single, solitary person.

Unfortunately or fortunately as the case and your perspective may be, that's how all organizations and groups work, including MAAC. Consequently, you always get supporters and detractors. Nothing new. Nothing different. Makes no difference if the operatives are paid or volunteers.

Also remember, volunteers don't volunteer unless there's something in it for them. Same with members. They don't join unless there's something in it for them. Nobody does it without some form of payback.

It's all just the nature of the beast - both organizations and people.
DO335 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:57 AM   #15
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 Jeti and Airtronics SD-6

Total Props: 136

Sounds like one of the minority who like to sit back, complain and do nothing but reap the rewards of other hard workers who promote to keep this hobby going in the right direction. I guess sucking on lemons must do this to people's minds !
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:32 AM   #16
Lazy Ace
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Dennis DWP

Total Props: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DO335 View Post
Exactly how politics work.
Get on a committee and watch the clique continue to run the show - just from closer up. Got to get into the clique. Must have support or support others. As an individual, you'll achieve squat - just as independent members of parliament get nowhere as a single, solitary person.
A collective governing through majority consensuses is the fairest way to represent the majority. Perhaps you favor a dictatorship?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DO335 View Post
Also remember, volunteers don't volunteer unless there's something in it for them. Same with members. They don't join unless there's something in it for them. Nobody does it without some form of payback.
Absolutely and that something could simply be the pleasure of participating and helping out to actually trying to make changes for the betterment of all and you find fault with that?

Dennis
Lazy Ace is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:42 AM   #17
Hatch
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Dylan L.

Total Props: 14

My personal liability policy, from TD Meloche Monnex, has the typical exclusion for "operating as a required crew member of an aircraft." But it also goes on say that model aircraft are not considered aircraft. So I would be covered. Other policies may differ.

It may be the case that MAAC is advocating on behalf of the hobby. What are some examples of things MAAC has done specifically to benefit those who fly outside the club structure? I don't mean things like frequencies which are issues in common with clubs.

For example, does MAAC provide support to people working to oppose local by-laws prohibiting flying in parks?

At any rate, constructive criticism of the MAAC organization should be welcomed.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:12 PM   #18
Trumpet
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Mark Betuzzi
Radio of choice:
Spektrum NX-10

Total Props: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narly1 View Post
I'm not actively flying at the moment (past MAAC member when I did).

Just throwing it out there that maybe a public, plain language document that explains the benefits and scope of MAAC's insurance policy would stop a lot of uninformed discussion such as this.

The other aspect is making the membership better informed of same. I bet most members don't know the policy details.

Earl "Narly1" Anderson
---------------------------------------
Here is all the information re MAAC Insurance, Call a committee member if you need more infomation: http://www.maac.ca/en/committees_det...ommittee_id=31
Mark.

Last edited by Trumpet; 08-19-2015 at 06:30 PM.
Trumpet is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:40 PM   #19
Lazy Ace
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Dennis DWP

Total Props: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
For example, does MAAC provide support to people working to oppose local by-laws prohibiting flying in parks?
How about instead you explain why you think MAAC should. This should be good.

Dennis
Lazy Ace is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:38 PM   #20
Morison
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Keith Morison

Total Props: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
It may be the case that MAAC is advocating on behalf of the hobby. What are some examples of things MAAC has done specifically to benefit those who fly outside the club structure? I don't mean things like frequencies which are issues in common with clubs.
You're missing a subtle difference.

MAAC's advocacy with federal government agencies has - from my understanding - been about 'model aviation' in general and not about entrenching MAAC exclusive privileges within federal regulations. In other words, when MAAC advocates on a given issue, they advocate on behalf of members and non-members alike.

Any expectation that MAAC would advocate on an issue that is specific to non-members, or is on a 'local' level is horribly misplaced. That said, from having negotiated with local governments for use of park space for a club I can tell you that being affiliated with MAAC, and being able to provide third party insurance to the city was invaluable to the process.
Morison Communications - Publishers of Model Aviation Canada
Morison is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in