Hobby King Mig-15 ARF - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Jets Discuss electric jets in Canada.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:44 PM   #11
Dutkoski
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Dutkoski
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 11
Re: Hobby King Mig-15 ARF

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
The complete ducting, the intake is strengthened with carbon fibre string warped twice to prevent the ducting from collapsing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Installed Ducting For Posting.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	279369  

Last edited by Dutkoski; 04-05-2014 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Chnaange Picture
Dutkoski is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:57 PM   #12
Dutkoski
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

I got all the bits and pieces together and positioned inside the model, with the 4500 Mah 6 cell batteries, it tips the scale at 6.1 lbs. The Hoaye fan on six cell gives around 1700 watts if my memory is correct so that's 283 watt per lbs.

Anybody have any experience with this particular airframe, just hoping it'll have the power to do the loops and such.

I have these inexpensive 90 mm EDF units from Taft Hobby, got a couple from X-Flight to try them out. They have a one piece, 11 blade impeller that looks pretty good. The shroud is quite thin walled plastic and flexible, that is, until I wrapped it with a lot of carbon fiber string. Going to test it out and see how much power it'll produce and the sound it makes. Hoping it'll be like a turbine.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:22 AM   #13
Luis Lopez
RCC Apprentice

I am: LuisL
Radio of choice:
DX8
# of RCs: 32

Total Props: 0

Hi John , I just want to share this video of my MIG15 from HobbyKing.

This Hobby Topgun Mig 15 is powered with a Turnigy XK4074-1400 inrunner and a 90mm Changesun 12 blade fan that has been dynamically balanced. A Red Brick 125A ESC with 5A BEC and Gens Ace 5500mah 25C 6S battery running in series with a 6000mah 1S Gens Ace pack (making 7S) give plenty of power. My friend "4stripes" and his father helped me to build it.
Luis Lopez is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:28 AM   #14
Dutkoski
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Just have to install the servos, control rods and control horns. I imbedded 1/16" plywood plates in the balsa control surfaces where the control horns get attached for added support for the screws.

Tested the EDF unit and was surprised the amp draw and watts produced on the 6 cell battery well exceeded the capability of both the motor and the ESC. So, after sorting through the lipos that I have, found two batteries, a 2 cell and a 3 cell that were compatible to make up a 5000 mah 5 cell. This now made the system behave nicely, just over 1500 watts and the amp draw was in the mid 80's.

The Mega motor is good for 90 amp (plus a bit more on bursts ) and the CC Ice is their 100 amp ESC.

So, should have this plane ready before tonight is over, then onto the next one, my Mig-17. I'll start a post on it shortly, mind you it is partly built and Ken did a great job in posting his build of my earlier version. So I'll just highlife the upgrades for your viewing pleasure...
Old 04-16-2014, 10:39 AM   #15
dashpuppy
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jason L.
Radio of choice:
DS-16
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutkoski View Post
Just have to install the servos, control rods and control horns. I imbedded 1/16" plywood plates in the balsa control surfaces where the control horns get attached for added support for the screws.

Tested the EDF unit and was surprised the amp draw and watts produced on the 6 cell battery well exceeded the capability of both the motor and the ESC. So, after sorting through the lipos that I have, found two batteries, a 2 cell and a 3 cell that were compatible to make up a 5000 mah 5 cell. This now made the system behave nicely, just over 1500 watts and the amp draw was in the mid 80's.

The Mega motor is good for 90 amp (plus a bit more on bursts ) and the CC Ice is their 100 amp ESC.

So, should have this plane ready before tonight is over, then onto the next one, my Mig-17. I'll start a post on it shortly, mind you it is partly built and Ken did a great job in posting his build of my earlier version. So I'll just highlife the upgrades for your viewing pleasure...
Sounds like some easy stuff, take your time, and center all those servos Looking good sir !
dashpuppy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #16
Dutkoski
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Well, it's done, my summer beater looks pretty good at the moment, wonder how it will look in September.

The treatment for the front and intake duct is Krylon chrome paint.....but it didn't turn out that way. Even painted it first in white primer, several light coats of the alleged chrome paint and then several clear coats. Turned out silvery. Well, I can live with it.

Because the intake ducting is round, it does interfere with the bottom of the cockpit that you can get from Hobby King which fits nicely in the removable canopy section. Just grind the canopy floor and the pilots butt until the hatch fits properly.

The intake splitter that is provided was really Mikey Mouse so I fashioned one out of some scrap balsa 1/2" thick, 3" long. Scalloped the front edge and sanded it to and airfoil shape. Covered in 2.3 oz fiberglass with epoxy, glued into position and then added large fillets with epoxy and cabosil (filler)

Without the batteries (cause I don't have them yet) the airframe tips the scales at 4 lb 14 oz. I'll be using a 2 cell and a 3 cell Thunder Power 4300 Mah battery setup to power this model.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HK Mig15 Done.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	233.8 KB
ID:	295393  

Last edited by Dutkoski; 04-22-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:12 PM   #17
ken park
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ken Park

Total Props: 7

Looks great John!!!!

Good Luck on the Maiden!
Old 04-22-2014, 07:17 PM   #18
dashpuppy
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jason L.
Radio of choice:
DS-16
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken park View Post
Looks great John!!!!

Good Luck on the Maiden!
+1 on this Wish i was there to see it !
dashpuppy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:42 PM   #19
Dutkoski
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Holy crap, can't believe I let this model just sit for over a year without even trying to fly it. I'm such an idiot at times. Well, after working on my turbine Arrow tonight, I brought it out from the second workshop and sorted it out. Had to read this thread to find out the power setup, just couldn't remember.

Anyway, hung the plane up to locate the airframes CG location, just don't trust the scetchy instructions. But it's identified so will balance the model tomorrow to that location.

Since I won't have time for the jet event this coming weekend, at least I can spend a few hours at the Toronto flying club site and get a few flights in. So far, the summer fleet is starting to shape up, two Avro Arrows, the Habu, this Mig-15 and a small F-20 Tigershark. Next foamie will be the 90 mm powered F-18 I got from Kondor Models for dirt cheap price. Can't decide if I should put the retracts in it or keep it as light as possible and put as much power as I can afford for speed and to simplify the model.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	558.6 KB
ID:	650393  
Old 06-29-2015, 05:35 AM   #20
4stripes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Flyboy 1 (Eric K)
Radio of choice:
CPDLC & Mind Control
# of RCs: 777

Total Props: 203

You will love the Mig! It is a great design.
As for your F18 I assume it is the Haoye version which is a nice size (huge)!
Keep us posted on your build as it will take some clever craftsmanship to finish.
Personally I would go with some large servoless retracts with metal trunions as they are reasonable and do the job. Lots of legs to choose from on the HK site. With no gear there will be more wear and tear on the belly and intakes. The larger tires you can use should easily handle grass if necessary.
https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/sho...77&postcount=1
4stripes is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in