NAV Canada wants "jail time" for reckless UAV operators - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 10-13-2015, 10:40 PM   #21
bcsaltchucker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Scott R
Radio of choice:
Frsky-Taranis
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 24
Re: NAV Canada wants "jail time" for reckless UAV operators

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
there are specific aviation laws, and then there are also criminal laws. In an extreme case they could tack on something like manslaughter if you killed someone with a drone, in addition to a bunch of aviation violations. So it is very possible to end up with prison sentences for nefarious deeds done while piloting.

but for flying a drone in a control zone, they're probably only gong to get a fine unless they really do cause damage.

but heck I know a handful of old skool airplane flyers who fly at a certain school yard within ~1km of CYYJ, which is a busy 3 runway intl airport with strict control zone to the deck (and tons of heli actitivity, military and civi). I don't find it crazy unreasonable flying as they do, as long as they stay the heck under treetop level. But I declined to fly there myself and would not recommend it. As far as I understand it now, flying there is technically illegal and subject to fines but I bet those fellows have no clue. If I drove by and saw a plane flying 300 ft there, I'd be getting out to inform them of what I know about the situation and suggest they come fly with me at safer legal locations.

Last edited by bcsaltchucker; 10-13-2015 at 10:48 PM.
bcsaltchucker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:29 AM   #22
Thunder Chicken
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Nathan C
Radio of choice:
Airtronics

Total Props: 18

Back to the OP, anyone who is operating a UAV is held to a different set of rules than us hobbyists flying model aircraft. A drone/quadcopter is a model aircraft if it is being flown for fun/non commercial purposes. The CEO of Nav Canada should be made aware of this.
It only becomes considered a UAV when its flight is for a commercial purpose.
The ONLY CARS law affecting R/C planes, drones, gliders, helis, lawnmowers etc. is CARS 602.45
Model Aircraft, Kites and Model Rockets

602.45 No person shall fly a model aircraft or a kite or launch a model rocket or a rocket of a type used in a fireworks display into cloud or in a manner that is or is likely to be hazardous to aviation safety.

So, yes, UAV operators should be held to a higher standard than hobbies, and penalized for not following the rules just as a Commercial Air Service flying aircraft for charter versus a private pilot and his homebuilt airplane.
All this talk of airspace, altitudes, distances from airports is sorta correct, in that it applies to UAV's, not model aircraft. Big difference, even though it could be the same airframe, same day.
Thunder Chicken is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:56 PM   #23
newb
RCC Apprentice

I am: joe c

Total Props: 0

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...lake-1.3269886

drone found 6m from a aircraft on the runway

Last edited by newb; 10-14-2015 at 05:15 PM.
newb is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 10-14-2015, 03:42 PM   #24
pschulte
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Phil Schulte
Radio of choice:
JR12X
# of RCs: 40+

Total Props: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip51035 View Post
Look up the regulation Scot!! It states that you must maintain 500' above ground 2000' horizontal distance from a built up area or collection of people and there is no exceptions.
Don't forget two or more people is considered gathering of people.

I'm thinking of applying for a cya for our flying field. One more way to protect the field from pilots that can't even operate a gps properly let alone a map. It doesn't keep them from flying there but if they have done a proper preflight they will be made aware of model activity. Then if there is an incident its on them.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:04 PM   #25
FD av8r
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Daryll F
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 9

Sorry, but there is no provision to get a CYA for model aircraft activity
FD av8r is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:04 PM   #26
pschulte
RCC Senior Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR12X

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD av8r View Post
Sorry, but there is no provision to get a CYA for model aircraft activity
Sounds like we need one.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:42 PM   #27
FD av8r
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Daryll F
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 9

Honestly it would be an interesting concept, but the notion of model aircraft taking precedence over full scale would likely upset the apple cart. The only way to ensure safe separation is a NOTAM at an airport during R/C operations.

My growing concern is those that have no notion of how/why the airspace is operated and protected will force TC to target modellers of all types. Its anybody's guess what that would mean to our hobby.

I hope the "drone hype" fades and just those operating them responsibly are left when the dust settles.
FD av8r is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:51 AM   #28
pschulte
RCC Senior Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR12X

Maybe a cya(r) is needed to address aircraft around our fields. The r can stand for radio control aircraft. Being an advisory area aircraft can enter with caution. That way the area is marked on the map and further information will be in the cfs.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:59 PM   #29
bcsaltchucker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Scott R
Radio of choice:
Frsky-Taranis
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 24

good points

I was surprised when I took flying lessons a couple years back that my instructor had no idea about the established RC fields we flew over daily. Though there were other instructors in the club who are avid RC pilots too. Just did not take the issue of toy plane vs manned plane seriously I think. We did do some pretty low alt training (eg forced approaches) near where I know some heli and plane pilots fly too (not club fields).
bcsaltchucker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in