CF frame for 400 size heli - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 12:24 AM   #1
hermes2019
RCC Apprentice

I am: Dan P

Total Props: 0
CF frame for 400 size heli

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I've read in a few areas where people hint at the fact that carbon fibre frames (with aluminum components as well) are high maintenance...

Can someone one verify this... maybe elaborate on pros and cons to upgrading your heli with CF parts?
hermes2019 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:24 PM   #2
martinic
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Calvin Martini
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 7
Well, a solid CF frame can survive multiple crashes without needing replacement. A lot depends on the frame design and the severity of the crash.

Plastic frames usually bust on a crash and gluing them just doesn't work for anything other than the most minor cracks.

Replacing a whole frame is a huge pain because you need to re-route all the wiring and balance everything. The only thing worse is having to re-setup the head (that's where the CNC head parts help).
martinic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:08 PM   #3
hermes2019
RCC Apprentice

I am: Dan P

Total Props: 0
Besides the head assembly, what else do you want to have in aluminum or carbon fibre?

What is the 'best' weakest link to have in the event of a crash?
hermes2019 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 07-29-2007, 05:35 PM   #4
martinic
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Calvin Martini
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 7
It really depends on the specific parts because the quality can vary widely between manufacturers. In a mini (400 size) heli, the tolerances are really pretty critical; a lot more critical than on a standard heli. Well crafted CNC parts can be very accurate. Additionally, CNC parts won't flex like small plastic parts can - so in the smaller size, metal is generally better. This assumes the quality and engineering is there.

Personally, I would go for a Trex SE V2 or similar and be done with it. Then setup is really where you will make or break. I know it's a lot of coin, but it's worth it - it just flies well and the CNC parts very, very rarely get damaged in a crash.

What parts are best for your particular heli? Replace anything that has excessive slop or flex. You can replace plastic parts as they break, but you spend more money than buying the full CNC/carbon heli to start with. Not everyone can afford a big purchase, so maybe doing it bit by bit makes sense for you.

I started with a Trex 450X (the original) and upgraded it piece by piece ( even several versions of some parts) to a full SE. I'm sure it cost me more than $1000 this way. Now you can buy an SE V2 with motor and ESC for ~$600.

Best weakest link? Probably blade grips, but with a 120 CCPM (e.g. Trex SE) you're going to strip servo and main gears. Invest in HS65MG cyclic servos. I don't fly with weak parts and the CNC parts never (yet) break. I usually lose servo gearsets and main gears (as well as main and feathering shafts, blades and booms).
martinic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in