Debonair Tail Wheel Assembly! - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
S.P.A.D.s Discuss SPADS

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 05:33 PM   #11
2thelmt
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: ID

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Looks great but...simple?
Gary, why the extra clevis and rod, why not just attach the tail wheel to the joint between the stab and rudder whith a bend in the wire to "turn it"
Anyway, looks nifty

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:14 PM   #12
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9
The Debonair II is finished and will be taking it out tomorrow afternoon for its maden flight.

Its a model II because I have made my own modified wing. Instead of using all 4mm coro and double spars as per the origional plans and design, I used 4mm on the bottom with the flutes running spanwise and left 2 extra inches on the cord for making the ailerons. For the top I used 2mm coro with the flutes running cordwise. The wing only has one spar and NO dihedreal. This is exactly the same way that the wing is made for the Das Plas Stick but is 60" span compared to 48" span for the Plas Stick! The wing is lighter but every bit as strong as the origional designed wing and it flys great. ( This is my 2nd Debbie with this wing design)

As per the above pictures, I made this one a tail dragger as the first one was a trike. This mod should help lighten the whole plane as well.

I'll take a couple of pics at the field tomorrow and give an up date on the maden flight and post the pics.

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:38 AM   #13
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 0
Nice piece of work Gary Will have to try this one.
John

Old 05-15-2004, 11:22 AM   #14
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9
I finally got to test fly the new Debonair II. It flys awsome, much better than the first one I built, probably because it is much lighter with the tail wheel as opposed to the trike.

It flew almost perfectly right off the building table. Couple clicks of up elevator and rudder! The TT 46 Pro engine has lots of power for this SPAD. At full power it will slowly climb straight up and at level flight with full power it is fast! A very stable agile design. It will maintain flight at 1/4 throttle and slow to a crawl Landings are a pleasure straight forward and very gentle! Its all around flying characturistics impressed the heck out of me! It will do almost any manover you can throw at it except I can't get it to spin very well. Outside loops, no problem!

I took it up as high as I could comfortably see it and killed the throttle. It seemed to glide forever. On one 6oz tank of fuel I flew for 14 minutes and then another 3 1/2 minutes with no power, brought it in dead stick within 4 feet of me. Total cost was about $50 with everything, motor mount, fuel tank, landing gear and wheels, and all hardware. Now thats a lot of cheap fun with a great flying airplane!

Here are a couple of pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	debonair_ii_maden_flight_2.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	2671   Click image for larger version

Name:	debonair_ii__maden_flight.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	2672  

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-15-2004, 02:11 PM   #15
xv-townboy
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Rick L
Radio of choice:
Futaba/Spektrum
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 16
wow! thats is one cool lookin plane

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in