Want to fly Multis for Commercial Purposes? READ THIS - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Multi Rotor Discussion Tri's, Quad's, Hex'as and more. Discuss anything multi-rotor, including multi-rotor stabilization and FPV setups.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:21 AM   #11
martinic
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Calvin Martini
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 7
Re: Commercial Flying

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Very few people who make money taking pictures from R/C aircraft with or without FPV are going to tell you about it. It's illegal unless you go through all the hoops. This means most of it is underground.

Hopefully the regulatory process will be refined to be more granular to permit use by news crews, etc. without notice. But then again, the blanket provision seems to permit groups to prove themselves over time.

The only think I don't like is that recreational FPV out of sight officially falls under UAV regulations, even though the aircraft are under 35kg and fly below 125 meters. That means if I fly my tripcopter FPV behind a tree, I'm breaking the law.

The regulations surrounding video transmission are another thing. From what I've heard and read, an operator's certificate doesn't actually permit you to transmit from a moving platform.

Sorry for going slightly off topic.

Last edited by martinic; 07-27-2012 at 07:38 AM.
martinic is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:58 AM   #12
Mark L @ FL

Total Props: 0

The big issue at hand is basically if people do it without proper paperwork and insurance and IF something goes wrong they could be personally liable for any damage. Also it will only take one or two incidents to hit the news where someone caused a problem and it turned out they weren't following the regulations and things will be cracked down on for everyone.

All we as a community can do is to help keep people informed and somewhat self regulate what we can so everyone is safe and the hobby doesn’t get put under too much outside control.
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #13
mjohnson
RCC Contributor

I am: MJ
Radio of choice:
Jeti DC-16 Duplex
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
The big issue at hand is basically if people do it without proper paperwork and insurance and IF something goes wrong they could be personally liable for any damage. Also it will only take one or two incidents to hit the news where someone caused a problem and it turned out they weren't following the regulations and things will be cracked down on for everyone.

All we as a community can do is to help keep people informed and somewhat self regulate what we can so everyone is safe and the hobby doesn’t get put under too much outside control.
Well put Mark.

Going out and taking a bunch of pictures and getting paid for it sounds pretty sweet but in reality it is a pile of work. First comes Transport Canada. If you are congenial and jump through all their hoops in the right order they will bend over backwards to help you. Try and sneak around them and they WILL come down hard. Believe me, I was a Chief Pilot at an aircraft charter company for years and constantly dealt with TC. If you are nice, they will be nice back. You must get an OC (Operating Certificate) from them and the application is a lot of work. Next comes the investment in insurance. The minute a loonie passes from one hand to another you are now a commercial operation and MAAC insurance will not cover you........period. If something happens, and it doesn't even have to be that big of a deal you are open to litigation and you are on your own. If you own any assets is it worth gambling them for a very slim return? Insurance costs I have heard (I myself have not checked these figures) will run anywhere from $3000 to $5000 annually. That's a lot of pictures to take. Another thing is you must have an Amateur Radio Operators Certificate (commonly referred to as a Ham License) if your operation includes FPV. Be warned that part of the TC OC will have you fly line of sight only and if you are operating FPV you must have a spotter with you at all times. These are just a few of the major requirements. There are many more regulations that must be met.

As I say, as with most things in life it's harder than it looks. I have been asked by a realtor friend of mine to take some pics for him and have turned him down multiple times. Just isn't worth it as I'd hate to lose my house over a silly little equipment malfunction.

Not saying it can't be done but PLEASE weigh all the facts before wading into the deep end.

Cheers

MJ

Last edited by mjohnson; 07-28-2012 at 11:11 AM.
mjohnson is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:02 AM   #14
trevlan
RCC Apprentice

I am: mark b
Radio of choice:
dx8 spectrum
# of RCs: 2

Wow, puts a whole new perspective on this now.
I knew that there had to be some laws but didn't know that it was this big/much.

I'm glad I found this forum and thread.
I got alot of reading to do now.
trevlan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:35 AM   #15
Helno
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Ryan D

Total Props: 45

I got to listen to a talk by these guys on the weekend.
http://www.aeryon.com/

They even had a copy of the SFOC so they could do a few demo flights. Looked like most of the SFOC was legalese vaguely describing the vehicle and typical flights.

There was also mention during the talk that transport might be changing the rules due to being swamped with SFOC applications.
Helno is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:53 AM   #16
Mark L @ FL

There is talk of the process changing but nothing happens fast with govt. The biggest hurdle for most is the 2 million liability insurance and I doubt that will change.
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:01 AM   #17
Graydon
RCC Noob

I am: Graydon T
Radio of choice:
Futaba FG8
# of RCs: 2

I am moving in that direction with caution.... have a draft SFOC application in the works and doing test, calibration and proof of concept flights in the meantime at remote locations where the risks are as low as possible.
Graydon is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:47 AM   #18
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232
Re: Want to fly Multis for Commercial Purposes? READ THIS

Great subject. Title changed to make subject more apparent and Stickied

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:16 AM   #19
399agl
RCC Noob

I am: Russel l

I have been flying professionally for years before all this multi stuff became popular. Now that so many people are doing it illegally it has hurt our business, and the $100,000 thousand's we have invested in training, insurance and equipment. We operate with blanket approvals across canada. We have tried education with clients and we have tried public discussion we have tried everything to educate and inform everyone about this "new" field. Now we find our selves having to consider reporting offenders, (reluctantly as we know the costs) who have invested nothing other than buying a quad. This is a serious business with great liability and safety issues.I welcome those who wish to join us, but on the same playing field and carry the same costs that is required by law.
399agl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:59 PM   #20
joliecoeur13
RCC Master Contributor

I am: alain s
Radio of choice:
DX8

Total Props: 1

OK I see your point but to me there is a big difference between taking a few pictures say for real estates and shooting a commercial down town !! with a $15000 rig ...
I guess as far as Transport Canada they don't see it that way...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in