RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Indoor Flying Discuss indoor flying

Old 01-29-2009, 06:43 AM   #81
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Gaston B

Total Props: 6
Re: Blue Foamie

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Grandbois View Post
Thank you Gaston!
I enjoyed building this model with you. It shows you got good experience. Learning new tricks of the trade are very valuable.
I enjoy experimenting with new models, new materials and new techniques. This club can be very rewarding and enriching when you get encouragement and good tips from other knowledgeable member.
Gerry
Hi Gerry

It was a pleasure to help you build your foamie, the experience I acquired all those years is from people like you, young and always ready to share fresh ideas.
Thanks

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:08 PM   #82

Total Props: 57

Gaston I have the original Clik which I copied on to other depron. I still have it unassembled. What changes did you make to the original patterns? It never occurred to me to try the fan fold. I will make aluminum templates and let who ever wants cut theirs out.

Dennis
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:43 PM   #83
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propworn View Post
Gaston I have the original Clik which I copied on to other depron. I still have it unassembled. What changes did you make to the original patterns? It never occurred to me to try the fan fold. I will make aluminum templates and let who ever wants cut theirs out.

Dennis
Hi Dennis

The added weight of the blue foam made it tail heavy so I lengthened the fuse by 1/2 in. at the nose to correct the CG, it flies very well with a 360 mAh against the motor mount or even a 460 mAh 1 in. behind the motor mount.

I was really surprised by how well it flew being that it weighs almost an ounce more than the original. A good number of our indoor pilots are now flying them, even the guys that have original Clik and Fancy Foam planes. One of the reasons for this is because the Blue Foamies are very resilient making them good for learning new maneuvers, etc. The extra weight hasn't really affected the flight times by much for regular flying.

Thanks for inquiring about them.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:00 PM   #84
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

Here is the latest Blue Foamie built this evening...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00169a.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	45008   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00173a.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	45009  
Old 01-29-2009, 09:51 PM   #85
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

Quote:

Dennis
Hi Dennis

There are a few others things I changed, such as removing the interlocking notches for the fuselage, the landing gear is my own design, the servo location along with the control rods, the control horns.

Take a look at the build thread and let me know if you need more information, I'll gladly try to help. If you want, I'll send you a cut foam copy, just let me know.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:18 PM   #86

Total Props: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbjets View Post
Hi Dennis

There are a few others things I changed, such as removing the interlocking notches for the fuselage, the landing gear is my own design, the servo location along with the control rods, the control horns.

Take a look at the build thread and let me know if you need more information, I'll gladly try to help. If you want, I'll send you a cut foam copy, just let me know.
No need I can make out most of the changes I just wasn't sure on how you compensated for the extra weight of the blue foam. Extending the nose that little bit is nothing at all. I will try and make some templates so others can copy it. Your video sure looks like you have a winner I am interested in giving it a try. The original Clik is just to fragile to fly with anyone else flying the blue foam ones. I will let you know how it works out for me. Thanks Gaston.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:07 AM   #87
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

Quote:
No need I can make out most of the changes I just wasn't sure on how you compensated for the extra weight of the blue foam. Extending the nose that little bit is nothing at all. I will try and make some templates so others can copy it. Your video sure looks like you have a winner I am interested in giving it a try. The original Clik is just to fragile to fly with anyone else flying the blue foam ones. I will let you know how it works out for me. Thanks Gaston.
We fly up to 5 or 6 at the same time, you can just imagine the midair collisions we're having but we're back in the air in minutes and at the end of the session everyone is still fying.

When Rolly and I made the video, we had a couple of mishaps because we're trying to stay close but that never stopped us, we didn't even bother to repair the prop strikes until later.

We would probably save a couple of grams using CA but it's not worth the trouble, hot glue is so quick and easy. One of the pilots had the original Click on Sunday, after a couple encounters with the hardwood floor, I asked him if he was going to use hot glue, his response was that it was too heavy. An hour later, I saw him with the glue gun, I should have taken a picture.

I should also mention that I got rid of the magic tabs and the the small tabs on the wings that secured them, I didn't see much need for them, that's only my personal observation.
though, I could be wrong.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:58 AM   #88
ronljroy
RCC Contributor

I am: Ronald R
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 18

Total Props: 0
Smile Re: Blue Foamie

Dennis, will the new "foamies" be a catagory in the Scale events? Just wondering. LOL Have a good day

Ron

"If it ain't broke, then don't fix it!!!!"
ronljroy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:08 AM   #89
yakityyak
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Andrew Collins

Total Props: 0

Hey Gaston, great job here! I've been following along as I have been flying my own Clik! and enjoying it. Looks like you've got a good thing going here and your helping lots of people get into indoor with a better chance of lasting through the first few mishaps!! I wish I had read the post about the fly-in last Sunday, I was in Sudbury at Laurentian University, close enough to come and join in!

I see that you offered to send a cut model to use as a template, I was wondering if you would do that for me. I didn't think to copy my original clik! before I built it so I would have to cut it apart to be accurate. In exchange, a friend travels south in a few weeks time, I would send him with some cash, and he could head to RONA. We could import enough for everyone down here, and send you some aswell! Sound like a deal?

Andrew
yakityyak is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:40 AM   #90
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakityyak View Post
Hey Gaston, great job here! I've been following along as I have been flying my own Clik! and enjoying it. Looks like you've got a good thing going here and your helping lots of people get into indoor with a better chance of lasting through the first few mishaps!! I wish I had read the post about the fly-in last Sunday, I was in Sudbury at Laurentian University, close enough to come and join in!

I see that you offered to send a cut model to use as a template, I was wondering if you would do that for me. I didn't think to copy my original clik! before I built it so I would have to cut it apart to be accurate. In exchange, a friend travels south in a few weeks time, I would send him with some cash, and he could head to RONA. We could import enough for everyone down here, and send you some aswell! Sound like a deal?

Andrew
Hi Andrew
I'll make a blue foam copy today which you can have for free, I'll send you a pm with my tel. no. and address so that your friend can call me to pick it up.
You will not find that Fanfold at Rona unless I'm wrong, so far only at Lowe's in the US
here's the part name and no.
Bluelinx
1/4" x 48" x 50' Fanfold Sheathing
Item #: 127129 Model: 669153
Make sure to call me when you're in the Sudbury area, you can have breakfast with us followed by some indoor flying.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in