Moving up to 50-60 : Do I go nitro or electric? - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Old 04-25-2010, 11:13 AM   #21
ve7nly
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Darren W

Total Props: 4
Re: Moving up to 50-60 : Do I go nitro or electric?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I own a T-Rex 600 ESP. I love it. However it's not perfect. I'm using the stock ESC and a 6S pack. Although I don't find it underpowered, I sure don't get very long flight times out of it. Having said that, battery technology is changing so rapidly right now, that I would not be one bit surprised if they will rival Nitro machines for run time within the next year or so. I plan to upgrade my to a 10S or even 12S setup when I can afford it. But I am glad I went to electric for one big reason. No nitro mess to clean up afterwords. Plug in a pack and fly. That's it.

Darren
ve7nly is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:13 PM   #22
FaceDeAce
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Claude P.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C and 9C, Prism 7x
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 1

Thanks for all the great information! This is a very good thread.

Here is my attempt to summarize what I have seen here so far:

Folks are feeling that electric power systems in a 600 sized heli is just not quite there yet to compete in this decision on a reasonable dollar for dollar. The undertones are that certainly you can get the performance if you throw the bankroll at the electric system. So I guess I am probably about 1 - 2 year premature in electric being a serious consideration.

The was some advice that if I were to go a bit smaller (500 size) then electric would be reasonable. But I am not interested. From my other RC experiences it is well known that bigger does fly better. And I've been there where blow the same cash on mid-sized and be stuck with it. It is far better to hold off and just make the jump wholesale.

There was a question of what I wanted for flight performance. My skill level is still novice/intermediate. Even as i advance it will be pretty much just sport flying only for this bird. I won't be doing any crazy maneuvers that seemingly try to to get the heli to rip itself apar in the air or coming down to do inverted grass mowings. (I see videos of those "tricks" and frankly think those guys are just plain stupid).

Based on what I have seen here, I am now leaning much more to the nitro Trex600. I figure with this well established airframe, in a couple of years I could convert it to electric using off the shelf parts. ........ but then that Logo600 looks like a very nice machine

Last edited by FaceDeAce; 04-25-2010 at 01:22 PM.
FaceDeAce is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:38 PM   #23
hifly2104
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 15

Claude I am as new to this Heli as you can be. Had a trex 450 clone and for me it sucked, too fast of a reponse.(I am over 60) Another member (Mark too) suggested I go bigger So I bought a Trex 500 GT Clone and put it together. Much better so much more stable. I still decided to go bigger Trex 600 might as well buy it cause the cost of the clone is almost the same. About a month ago a Package came up on here for a Gaui 550 Hurricane Radio batteries and charger. Well my radio needed to be up graded as it had run out of model memory. So I bought this package . Man does that Heli hover Smooth and it uses two 3s 2200mah batteries to fly it. Uses a gear reduction to drive the blades . 550 mm blades giving it a span of 1110 to 1210 mm and a overal body length of 1060mm . Really nice looking Heli can be bought for $229. including Motor and ESC. Still needs servos and Gyro batt. and receiver.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._w/_ESC_/Motor
Mine has a pair of much nicer Canopies than this one. . My other choice would be to go gas. Glow doesn't matter what you run you have slime,gas doesn't have that residue . Whatever you decide just have fun

Sponsored by.
Small Pay cheque
Understanding Wife
Loving Daughter

Thought for the day

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.

If you can't eat it or hump it.

Pee on it and walk away.
hifly2104 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:40 PM   #24
NTM
RCC Contributor

I am: Nathan M.

Total Props: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-planker View Post
Come on guy's...a 600size electric he'll be putting out 1500hundred bucks in batts and charging system alone never mind the machine. You can buy a Rex Nitro super pro Rx ready brand new for 1150 and never have to worry about wreaking the batterys...you do the math...Buy a nitro
I'm currently running my logo 600's on 12s 40c 4000mah turnigy packs.
$140 per pack charged by a couple turnigy 8150 chargers ($75 per charger)
5300 watts of power (two .90 size nitros worth of power, lol ) and 6.5 minutes of smack down 3d.
6s 5000mah packs for a 550mm bladed heli are under $100 per pack. And you only need one charger for those.

I believe you're forgetting to factor in the cost of nitro fuel for your rex nitro, which will be at least $1000 if you're putting in much flight time.

Gassers are an alternative too for sure, depending on your flying style.
They're quite heavy and don't have very fast collective response, you almost have to fly ahead of them when doing 3d.
NTM is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:05 PM   #25
Phil Noel
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Phil N.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 14MZ
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude Paradis View Post
Are there some experiences out there with both nitro and e-power in this class that can comment?
That is from your original post, and I think is quite pertinent here. As to really appreciate all the pros and cons of the bigger helis (electric, nitro, gasoline) without passing on third party myths etc., I feel that those with a reasonable amount of experience, in each, will have the best idea as to the advantages and disadvantages of each.

That is why I spent so much time trying to give you as balanced a picture as I could, from my experience with each (well over 400 flights at least on each type in this class).

Whatever you choose, the common denominator with all of them is they are a lot of fun. I guess what you are trying to figure out is which one would give you the most fun per minute of your desired type of flying, per dollar invested.

Of course, a lot of that will depend on you and what you consider fun, and how much you want to fly each time you go out to the field, and how much you want to spend per year on accumulating the flying time you wish.

Last edited by Phil Noel; 04-25-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Phil Noel is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:40 PM   #26
crashkit
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0

My experience with nitro and electric is ask your self what type of flying you are going to do. I have found that my 600 electric bird was awesome piece of equipment until i bought my 600n and then i flew the electric less and less until i sold it,it was nice but just did not suit my type of flying which is more towards the 3d and after the 9-10 minute flights on the nitro as 4-5 on electric my learn curve is climbing huge.hope that helps.
crashkit is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:59 PM   #27
Phil Noel
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba 14MZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashkit View Post
My experience with nitro and electric is ask your self what type of flying you are going to do. I have found that my 600 electric bird was awesome piece of equipment until i bought my 600n and then i flew the electric less and less until i sold it,it was nice but just did not suit my type of flying which is more towards the 3d and after the 9-10 minute flights on the nitro as 4-5 on electric my learn curve is climbing huge.hope that helps.
Most I know who tried the T600E did so on a 6S pack and found their nitros to perform better.

If you read all the posts here, you will see that is because a rotor using 600mm blades is too big for a 6S pack. That is why a better comparison to a 50 nitro is NOT a 600 electric on 6S packs, but one on 8S or 10S and with ballistic performance on 12S.

You will also find, we are saying that if you want to only use a 6S pack, then go to a Swift NX or Logo 500 for example. They are not much smaller then the T600 as they use 550mm blades. Now you will find you have a power to weight ratio that is better then a good nitro 50.

For example, my 5 year old Swift 16, on a 6S/5000/40C pack, weighed in at only 6 pounds (far less then any 30 nitro) and the 600+ motor, with that pack, produces the same power as a Hyper 50!!!...and will fly for over 7 minutes, at a rotor speed of 2100!!

Last edited by Phil Noel; 05-10-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:08 PM   #28
Phil Noel
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba 14MZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTM View Post
I'm currently running my logo 600's on 12s 40c 4000mah turnigy packs.
$140 per pack charged by a couple turnigy 8150 chargers ($75 per charger)
5300 watts of power (two .90 size nitros worth of power, lol ) and 6.5 minutes of smack down 3d.
6s 5000mah packs for a 550mm bladed heli are under $100 per pack. And you only need one charger for those.

I believe you're forgetting to factor in the cost of nitro fuel for your rex nitro, which will be at least $1000 if you're putting in much flight time.

Gassers are an alternative too for sure, depending on your flying style.
They're quite heavy and don't have very fast collective response, you almost have to fly ahead of them when doing 3d.
Well at only $140.00/pack you can buy yourself over 108 hours of flying (at 100 charges per pack) for $1400.00. That would cost about $1600 in fuel for my 50 nitros. And a 6S Swift would cost $1000 for 10 packs for 108 hours of flying. Of course, if you get more then 100 charges on any of the packs, which is very possible, then these flights could be considered as FREE.

Electric flyers would have to buy one or two chargers (e.g spend $80 to $160) while the nitro guy has to spend money on field equipment like starter, starter battery, fuel pump, glow driver etc. These can amount to more then the chargers. So for me, thay are a wash.

You will find the latest gasser helis have a much better power to weight ratio then those of just a few years ago. You can equip a Radikal G-20 for a bit over 10 pounds. I can remember having less powerful 60's not to long ago, that were heavier and did not have near the power.

Oh, by the way, the Radikal would not require the field gear of the nitro, or the chargers of the electric and would only cost me about $90 in fuel costs for the 108 hours of flying.

Last edited by Phil Noel; 04-25-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:12 AM   #29
rotormonkey13
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Joe Smith (I swear)
Radio of choice:
DX7
# of RCs: 10

Yep, if sport and scale flying will be your thing, then you can't go wrong with the gasser. It has plenty of power for either (even power for smooth 3d not that you care). And the extra weight of the gasser makes it VERY stable in the wind. It seems to carry a lot of momentum so big sky maneuvers like loops seem to go on forever, and end up being very smooth.

For the flying you plan on doing, it seems like a no brainer to me. It'll be cheaper to fly, and better at doing the things you're interested in doing.

That isn't to say nitro won't be adequate by any stretch. Just some more food for thought.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:55 AM   #30
FaceDeAce
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Claude P.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C and 9C, Prism 7x
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 1

Thanks everyone for all the wonderful input!
I wish I could tell you what I decided to do and what I bought.
However, I've had to do nothing and put this project and a number of others on hold. I have accepted a transfer and will be moving soon. So, ....., not much RC going on with me until the dust settles out in the new home.
See/read with you all sometime in september. I'll miss you.

I know this thread has been very beneficial to many other readers though.
FaceDeAce is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in