Field Chargers - ??? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 11:53 PM   #1
FaceDeAce
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Claude P.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C and 9C, Prism 7x
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 1
Field Chargers - ???

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
So ... just how much use do you get out of a field charger anyway?

I usually get about 6, 10 minute, flights in and that is a good outing. I find that my Rx still has more than half capacity (380 of 600) and my transmitter has barely used a third (225 of 650).

I was considering a field charger, but can't see my need for one. If I did go for it, which one would you recommend?

CP
FaceDeAce is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:01 AM   #2

Total Props: 57
Since I rarely ever take my plane out of my car, I fast charge on the way out to the field. If I am out of town at a contest they also come in real handy if taking the plane into the hotel room is not all that easy (my planes are 6.5 feet in length so transport around is a bit of an issue).

I use the Dymond Super Turbo

see http://www.rc-dymond.com/

the only problem with it is that it is limited to charging one pack at a time. Other than that it is super useful for just about all my charging needs. I can also charge up my starter and glow driver if needed.

I have a 12V power supply so that I can use the charger off a wall outlet.

There are a couple others that are very similar (FMA Super Nova, GP Triton) that will also work well. The new Hobbico MK2 field charger looks promising as well.

I never used to have a field charger, and I cant imagine not having one now
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:41 AM   #3
Nuker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

Total Props: 0
I have the Hobbico Field Charge MK II (I got the new one to charge Lithium Ion cells in my IFO and my wife took my old one)

I don't use it all the time however between myself and my wife it has been seen charging a plane about every other weekend over the last 2 years. I check the cells after 3 flights but after a 4th, regardless of the reading, I prefer to "top it up".

My radio has a 1100 so it charges ... rarely

Yet another form of cheap insurance; for me anyway

Bob

ps my buddy, on the other hand, shows up, quick charges and then flies so his is in constant use
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 05-31-2003, 11:23 PM   #4
Sport Flyer
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Kelvin M
Radio of choice:
JR
# of RCs: &#8

I have an Ace Fast Field charger. It works decently, and can charge both Tx and Rx at the same time, but its hard on the small 300 mah packs I use in my Lazy Bee and Diamond Dust. I just ordered a new Ace Super Smart Charge which is supposed to actually condition packs and remove memory.
Old 06-17-2003, 03:06 PM   #5
JKovats
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John R
Radio of choice:
JR

Total Props: 20
The new Hobbico field charger is super. I bought one a month ago. You can charge 2 things at a time, you can sellect the charging rate from .2 ma up to 2 amps, it figures out how many batteries you have and beeps when it's finished and goes to trickle. I put a couple banana jacks on my glow driver and top this up too. You can't hook it up wrong as it will set off an alarm. A no brainer / just the way I like it!! Some of the best money I have spent in a long time. I just bought an "electric slow flyer" and it will handle that battery pack without thinking too. Will charge ALL types of bateries "smart".
JKovats is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-17-2003, 03:07 PM   #6
JKovats
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR

The new Hobbico field charger is super. I bought one a month ago. You can charge 2 things at a time, you can sellect the charging rate from .2 ma up to 2 amps, it figures out how many batteries you have and beeps when it's finished and goes to trickle. I put a couple banana jacks on my glow driver and top this up too. You can't hook it up wrong as it will set off an alarm. A no brainer / just the way I like it!! Some of the best money I have spent in a long time. I just bought an "electric slow flyer" and it will handle that battery pack without thinking too. Will charge ALL types of bateries "smart".
Old 06-17-2003, 08:34 PM   #7
Hughes500E
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Steve H.

Total Props: 16
Hands down....... Sirius Smart Chargers running in at 129.00 US It is Goof Proof........................ Conditions as you charge, never have to cycle unless you want to determine the condition of the pack..........recommended will do both RX and TX at the same time...... and has a lifetime warranty............
http://www.siriuselectronics.com/
Hughes500E is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-17-2003, 09:39 PM   #8
JKovats
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR

Hobbico is 79.95 CDN at HobbyHobby if you don't want to spend that much.
Old 06-17-2003, 09:40 PM   #9
JKovats
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR

Hobbico is 79.95 CDN at HobbyHobby if you don't want to spend that much.
Old 06-17-2003, 10:25 PM   #10
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

I have an ACE fast charger and it burns up small batteries.Time it for 15 min. and shut it off.(emergency only)Also have ahobbico and use it consistantly. Along with these I use an ACE chargmaster(it charges C10and then I switch to low rate. This has 2 transmitter and 4 reciever outlets and 1 is 120ma. The rate out are C1 so they are just kept topped up. The religiously one I choose is an ACE Digipace and I cycle all of them once a month. I still use small batteries in a racer and fast charge after every run.
50ma.pack quickie 500 and 100 ma. pack in a formula 1. You have to save weight. Hope this helps from this end. John
Keep the shiny side up and the wheels down unless you are like Andrew.Looks to me like he makes a fairly often run to Walmart for garbage bags.Have a good day you guys
Vulcan1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in