TH9X Mod - Integrated Tactic Anylink Adapter for Helimax 1SQ or other parkfliers - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 01-30-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
Rob37alb
RCC Noob

I am: Rob C
Radio of choice:
Flysky
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: -1
TH9X Mod - Integrated Tactic Anylink Adapter for Helimax 1SQ or other parkfliers

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
My goal is to integrate the Anylink hardware into my TH9X and have the ability to switch between transmitter modules.

Remove batteries, open the radio via the 6 Phillips screws in the rear, disconnect the wire harness plug to separate the 2 halves, put the front half aside. Pull the rubber plug stopper off the old antenna hole as this is where the Anylink antenna will go.

Should look like this:

Some of the plastic at the top near the antenna hole prevents it from sliding through the hole. Trim as needed, doesn't take much.
The black tape in the picture was added to cover a bare metal pad that is there as well as protect the PCB's from contacting at all. The solder points at the module pins are labelled. Signal and ground will come from the Anylink board, the positive connection will come from one of the side poles on the switch. The positive at the bottom supplies power to the center pole on the switch (keep reading to find the picture). The positive trace is lined with red, you will need to cut this trace anywhere along its length at some point (again, shown in a later picture).

Drill your hole for the switch and test fit, I added a second smaller hole to accommodate a ring that prevented it from spinning.

The Anylink module needs to be uncased, use a flat head screwdriver to start separating it, after that the back should pull off without too much trouble, the antenna stays with the front half. Once opened, you'll need to cut away the mounting for the antenna. I used a utility knife and some curse words to get the job done. Be patient and careful not to cut the antenna coax. Once that is dismantled, use a small Phillips to unscrew the 3 screws that hold the board to the case.

Should look like this:

Orientated on the transmitter board like this:

Wrapped the antenna with tape to provide a friction fit in the hole. Marked the pin-outs to simplify connecting. Myself, I removed the original pins and soldered my wires directly to the board, I felt the connector was obstructing the silver pad above too much for my liking. Again, more tape to prevent shorting. Signal and ground go to signal and ground pins for the module noted on the previous picture. Positive goes to the opposite side pole on the switch. I put more electrical tape on any surface that could potentially cause shorting.

Quick picture of the switch pins, this toggle switch was too long, ended up cutting nearly half of it off to stay clear of the factory module's antenna:

Solder your connections and mount the board. This is where cutting the trace needs to be done. Solder another wire from the non-module side of the trace cut to the center pole of the switch. Like this:

Tidy up your wiring and tape the strays out of the way. should end up something like this:

Don't cover the silver pads or let wires in there, creates the potential for a short in the wiring.

Plug the 2 halves back together and close it up. Install battery and test. To figure out which position the switch is in, turn the transmitter on, single beep - factory module, 2 beeps - Anylink module.

Short Q&A...

1. Do I have to shut the power down between changes?

My experience tells me you should. Also ensure to change your "Model Select" before powering up your model. For the time it takes to shut down between switches I'd bet it's safer that risking powering up both modules at the same time, even for a split second.

2. Do I have to remove the pins from the Anylink to make it fit?

I'd say yes. the whole point of this was to add the new PCB board without interfering with the TH9X's original configuration and by not removing the plug it really looked like it would. Feel free to try it in another configuration and post your results.

3. Will backfeed from the ground and signal wires create any problems?

No idea, yet. If it happens, I post them.

4. Will my range be affected by this mod?

Not sure, again, if I find a difference I'll post. I'd guess that the Anylink may be a little less due to the components and antenna being integrated but I can't confirm. I can't see the original module being affected though as all I was doing was switching the power from one module to the other.

5. Do you have a video of the mod, or the mod working?

Not yet. Working on a video of the completed mod switching between the two to show that it does work, when complete I'll modify this post and add the link. I won't make a video of the mod itself I'm afraid, I've viewed so many mods on video that I find them cumbersome and sort of a pain, I hope
that photos and a well documented "how to" do the trick. Feel free to ask questions and I'll kindly provide what's needed, if needed.

Cheers!
Rob

Last edited by Rob37alb; 01-31-2013 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Long winded and boring.
Rob37alb is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in