la series..p.o.s or ok engines - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 11:45 AM   #21
Ed Smith

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
On June11th the Brant flyers are holding the new field open day. Come on out there will be flying and demonstrations all day.

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:49 PM   #22
sandstorm

sounds good i`m pretty sure i dont work that weekend so if not i`ll be out and about droolin on everyones plane...unless i can find a bib somewhere
sandstorm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:18 PM   #23
lightning

Sandstorm, FWIW I fly the provisional class of combat called SSC (for Slow Survivable Combat). It is not an official class yet and is not recognised in Canada at this point.
The whole objective is that it must be cheap and simple. So the rules require a STOCK .15 motor that retails for under US$60. There are a few engines that qualify, one of them being the OS LA15.
I have had a lot of problems with the LAs. The plastic backplate has a tendency to crack and leak and the remote needle valve (part of the backplate) breaks off in a heartbeat.
A lot of my fellow fliers convert the motor screws to hex head (for more torque) and RTV the backplate in place. At the same time they cut off the needle valve and use a separate remote unit. I have done the same.
But after all the problems I had, I bought some used OS FP15s, which were the LA15 predecessor.
They are much tougher and far more satisfactory!!
  • They have a 7/32 crankshaft vs 5mm, so it is less likely to get bent in a crash
  • They have a cast metal backplate instead of plastic
  • The head has 6 bolts instead of four
  • Some came as remote needle valve units, but the carb nipple is available from Tower Hobbies for US$1.89 to convert those that were not.
It does appear that OS cut costs with the LA15 over the FP (although it's price is the same). I hope the 46AX does not follow the same strategy! I have both a 40 and 46FX in my sport planes and they are fabulous motors. I would certainly not hesitate to recommend them to anyone.
lightning is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 05-10-2004, 11:51 PM   #24
sandstorm

i found a new fx 46 for 159. might pick it up.
sandstorm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:48 PM   #25
Fox 22
RCC Junior Contributor

OS engines is the "Honda" of aircraft engines. They are reliable, durable, easy to use, and have good power. The amount of engineering that goes into their engines is much greater than any other engine manufacturer. Also the quality and tolerances built into OS engines far surpasses any other manufacturer. this is evident in everything from the quality of their castings, to the nickle cromate plated cylinder sleves. There are very few engines that you can take out of the box, and fly with little or no break-in period. As far as the AX is concerned (I havent actually seen one up close) I have no doubt that it is as good or quite possibly better than the FX. OS would not have discontinued their most popular line (FX) if they weren't confident in the AX. It generates more power, than the FX without using tuned exhaust, and has no "throttle hesitation", which implies that OS has learned from their experiences with the FX. Back to the engineering of the AX, OS would not have used plastic parts unless they were positive that they would fulfill their intended purpose.

I own four FXs, and I have never had any problems with any of them. I have been running one with a tuned pipe, and a machined head to increase compression (a veritable torture for any engine). It is now four years old with well over 400 flights on it, and the only appreciable wear on the engine has been the bearings. I relaced them with high temperature ceramic bearings, and it hasn't had a problem since. Even the cylinder sleve and piston are in good shape. My very first engine was a .46 LA. After smashing it up numerous times, and several "lean runs" it still ran as well as the day i took it out of the box. The LA series doesn't have the best power in it's class, but they are (like the FX) a solid easy to use engine, which is why they are by far the most popular engine when it comes to training. Just look around at all the RTF trainers out there, and chances are they'll have a .40 or .46 in the nose.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:35 AM   #26
xv-townboy
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Rick L
Radio of choice:
Futaba/Spektrum
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 16
go with the tt46,best bang for your buck imho

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in