The weakest link...... - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Offroad RC Discussion RC Offroad chat for truggies, buggies, short-course and more. Topics may include brands like Associated, Kyosho, Tamiya, Axial, Traxxas and more.

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 05:49 AM   #1
Speed Metal
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Bill N.

Total Props: 0
The weakest link......

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
on an 1/8 scale buggy. What would it be? What is it that breaks most often during racing/bashing? I'm getting ready to start making some parts for my X-Term and I'm just trying to figure out what it is people most often break on their machines.

My goal is not only a wicked fast buggy, but one that is also damn near indestructable. So let's hear it! What parts do you break most often?

regards

spdmtl

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:12 PM   #2
Gump
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Brian Belanger

Total Props: 1
on the 777 i break mostly bearings, due to not diligently taking care of them.
2nd on the list is the front cv's wear out and become sloppy, probably due to my driving style more than anything.
after that its the factory clutch shoes and springs - they're aluminum and will wear out.
after that, its whatever i hit too hard when i crash. nothing else has worn out from wear and tear - only breakage from hard crashes which is impact-point specific.
by the way, you WANT your buggy to be destructable. you WANT your a-arms to break in a bad crash instead of your c-hubs, bulkheads and hinge-pins. you want some slop in the components, which is designed into it, and allows for some nice give, otherwise you'll have a heavy, slow, high maintainance dollar draining aluminum nightmare.
Gump is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:47 PM   #3
Speed Metal
RCC Master Contributor

Tyvm!

Great response gump! It helps a great deal.

Keep em coming everyone. What does you break most often?

regards

spdmtl

Old 04-12-2006, 10:39 AM   #4
CRUSHER
RCC Supreme Contributor

Talking

I break the bank quite often
CRUSHER is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:17 PM   #5
Speed Metal
RCC Master Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUSHER
LMAO!!!! Yeah no kiddin eh? Well, R/C is FAR cheaper than the 1:1 projects I have/had.

regards

spdmtl
Old 04-12-2006, 07:46 PM   #6
Crafty
RCC Pro Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUSHER
LMAO... and that my friends is what its all about... LOL you ain't kidding about that, I have spent over $1200 on my RC10T3 and im sure there is more people that have spent more than me on one truck!
Crafty is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:18 PM   #7
matthew25

things that wear out is drive train if not assembled properly and shimmed , also in 1/8th i find my rims get wonky quite fast ,( they have a wobble)
matthew25 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:16 AM   #8
imported_VIPER
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Jun
Radio of choice:
Fly Sky GT3B and TH9X
# of RCs: 22

spdmtl
With our X-T, you will always crack the shock tower tabs which is the gear case cover the moment you jump. You will unfortunately will have to buy a new gear case as you cannot buy the covers on its own.

The only cure for that is get yourself the Dragman's Brace from the XTM Forum or buy the $100.00 US billet aluminum gear case by XTM.

Another unfortunate weak link on our X-T is the Front Shock Tower. It easily bends when you flip or roll over. Even the thicker tower bends but not as bad as the stock. Only cure for this is pactice and not land on your lid.

Last weak link is the Chassis. Replace it with the hop up black anodized chassis an also get front and rear braces.
http://globalservices.globalhobby.com/globalforum/viewtopic.php?p=15362#15362[/url]
imported_VIPER is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:13 AM   #9
Speed Metal
RCC Master Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPER
spdmtl
With our X-T, you will always crack the shock tower tabs which is the gear case cover the moment you jump. You will unfortunately will have to buy a new gear case as you cannot buy the covers on its own.

The only cure for that is get yourself the Dragman's Brace from the XTM Forum or buy the $100.00 US billet aluminum gear case by XTM.

Another unfortunate weak link on our X-T is the Front Shock Tower. It easily bends when you flip or roll over. Even the thicker tower bends but not as bad as the stock. Only cure for this is pactice and not land on your lid.

Last weak link is the Chassis. Replace it with the hop up black anodized chassis an also get front and rear braces.
Hey thanks Viper! I just scored an X-Term Deluxe off of Tefflawn that has the 5mm billet Shock towers and rcdave is holding his X-Term for me. It has some really nice braces on there to help support the towers.

I'll be making some diff case supports from some angle aluminum just like the ones in the picture. I took the pic from the X-Term forum. Can't remember exactly who's pic it is but it ain't miine And I'm gonna order the 7075 Pro chassis right now

Thank you very much for the input Viper!

regards

spdmtl
Old 04-22-2006, 08:21 AM   #10
imported_VIPER
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Jun
Radio of choice:
Fly Sky GT3B and TH9X
# of RCs: 22

The X-T that you will pick up from RCDave will have the Dragman braces from my X-T. They were mine that RCDave would not leave without them on one weekend. I bought another one soon after that to replace mine.

You will not need to make that diff support once you get the braces on. As for the front and rear braces I was referring to, I will show you what you will need to do or buy when you come by on the next bash.
http://globalservices.globalhobby.com/globalforum/viewtopic.php?p=15362#15362[/url]
imported_VIPER is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in