Just remember when you buy something from the US - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 08:19 AM   #1
Mod_Master

Total Props: 0
Just remember when you buy something from the US

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
DON'T USE UPS !

i bought an HPI MT2 off ebay for a pretty good price. Boy was i ever wrong about my savings..

UPS brought me the package and reamed me up the @ss with brokerage fees and duties.. In total above my 19usd shipping charge i ended up paying a whpping 78 bucks for brokerage and duties..

Learn from me and take this advice if you dont already know... UPS SUCKS

btw.. great site i been visiting it often. i think this is my first post
Mod_Master is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:25 AM   #2
t3x

did you end up getting the car?
t3x is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:33 AM   #3
imported_VEN
RCC Supreme Contributor

ok....what you do...i hope i dont get in trouble for this....I've heard people send their packages to people in US and those people send it over to Canada as a GIFT so no hassle taxes apply.....its proven to work and the customs can't do anything cause it really is a gift if you think about....I know how you feel...my first nitro car came from china and i payed half the price of the car for shipping and taxes...can you say RIPOFF?
imported_VEN is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 04-24-2005, 09:23 AM   #4
ayk_driver
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew C
Radio of choice:
Old School FM... Futaba mainly
# of RCs: 5+

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLikeEggs
ok....what you do...i hope i dont get in trouble for this....I've heard people send their packages to people in US and those people send it over to Canada as a GIFT so no hassle taxes apply.....its proven to work and the customs can't do anything cause it really is a gift if you think about....I know how you feel...my first nitro car came from china and i payed half the price of the car for shipping and taxes...can you say RIPOFF?
sure u can do that...

i send my stuff to my uncles mailbox he has in the US... when he goes down and get his car parts from there (he lives in baxter) he just grabs my stuff and calls me with the ransom on it... i think it cost me maybe 200 for 2 t-maxxes to come across the border lol
Old 04-24-2005, 09:39 AM   #5
Mod_Master

yeah i did manage to get the car.. I know the gift trick.. lol

use it all the time with other shippers..

Problem is this time even though i specifically told the seller to mark it as a gift and declare a value under 100 he didnt !

regardless even if its a gift UPS will charge the brokerage fees which are the majority of the cost, you can save the taxes and all at the border though by marking as gift...

Anyways.. what can i do whats done is done...

on a side note anyone having trouble getting to the site?
Mod_Master is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:47 AM   #6
imported_VEN
RCC Supreme Contributor

yes, once in a while
imported_VEN is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:51 AM   #7
Mr X
RCC Master Contributor

I am: sir rcalot

when i got my tmaxx from US i payed 30 to ship out my truck and then payed 60 for customs. the sender did put it as a gift and he put the price at 95. then with the shipping tax which was added to that price it turned out to be 107. so i think that they do these things to get more money or something. but when i got my shocks shipped the price was 30 dollars and he sent it through USPS as a gift. there was no tax or anything but its not as safe because there is no tracking number
Mr X is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:52 AM   #8
PeanutButterJellyTime
RCC Supreme Contributor

UPS is crazily expensive... I had to send my Fantom engine to Michigan to be rebuilt and I paid literally double what was expected due to UPS shipping fees... however, when I bought my RC10GT on E-Bay, the guy sent it as a gift through USPS and there was virtually no shipping, only about $15

1978 VW Type 1 (Super Beetle) Convertible
PeanutButterJellyTime is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:55 AM   #9
Pipeous
RCC Pro Contributor

marking as a gift doesn't always work. customs has taken many a package I had marked gift and opened them. then it sits on their shelves. I had a box of cars sit for almost 2 months in customs.

better off just getting shipper to put a lower value down and just pay the 10 or 15 bucks in taxes. if it's a small package and a low value then you won't pay anyway. trust me. I ship and have shipped ina ton of stuff. been doing it for years. the gift idea used to work but sure sucks waiting almost 3 months to get a box of cars... just cuz I was too cheap to pay $15... I'd rather pay the fee
Pipeous is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:54 PM   #10
Mugenman
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Muckey M

All I'm going to say is there is no Duty in R/C Cars.
Mugenman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in