DLG/HLG Gliders Thread - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Sailplanes / Electro-gliders Discuss quiet flight in Canada.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:23 PM   #11
deepsky01
RCC Noob

I am: Roy R
Radio of choice:
JR 9503/9303
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 0
Re: DLG/HLG Gliders Thread

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHansen View Post
Bob that video was great. I say come in and put your feet up and you come in swinging like raging bull will a tasty video show and tell. Wow.. I will have to stop by this weekend for a closer look at the viper since my 3.0 carbon is nearly the same glider. Thanks
Here is a look at the kit i received:
Hey Mr.Hansen,
Which model DLG is this (Topsky 3).
Just wondering

Roy...
deepsky01 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:43 PM   #12
deepsky01
RCC Noob

I am: Roy R
Radio of choice:
JR 9503/9303
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 0

Hi all,
Hope to add to this thread in the coming weeks

Cheers roy..

Last edited by deepsky01; 11-24-2013 at 09:57 PM.
deepsky01 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:51 PM   #13
ddruck
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Dan D.
Radio of choice:
DX18, JR9503, JR9303,

Total Props: 5

Bob that was a great video. I picked up some DLG's, little more then year ago. Bought the Versus from HK, the copy of TopSky 1, has a good write up but it is still in the box waiting assembly or I may sell it. Have the Mini TopSky, again never assembled it, have it for sale. See the pattern, too many gliders. Anyway at the same time I got Blaster 1, the original, used, from a guy in our club. Wow does that fly well, I love that. Light years ahead of trying to toss Alula. Now I have to work on my launch technique, I really enjoy that one. However I am still very hooked on ALES with my e-gliders, just got another one of those and then there is this beautiful 4 meter F5J moldy I am working on getting. I will keep one foot in DLGs, great practice for low level thermals. Doctor said there is no cure for this....
Dan
ddruck is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:38 PM   #14
B.Welwood
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Bob W
Radio of choice:
Multiplex & Taranis

Total Props: 1

Hi Dan. I'm also very ingrained into this addiction, have been so for many years. Got another DLG kit which should land here this week, also some servos, battery pack, pushrods, you know... we all need to keep busy over the winter. Besides DLG's, I also have a big stable of slopers, some electric gliders, not to mention the thermal gliders and scale ones. Also have a couple of multirotors and cars.... you get the picture.
In case you haven't done so already, give PicaSim a go. It is a free sim and is my current favourite to fly, I usually spend 5 hours a week during the winter on this sim.
I recently purchased a GoPro camera and hope to shoot some flying footage this coming season. Will also do some building and how-to demo videos on DLG's to help out newbies just getting into this. Always good to see new guys starting into building and flying gliders and sailplanes.
Bob.
B.Welwood is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #15
B.Welwood
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Multiplex & Taranis

Just received some nice molded DLG parts from Jeff, all are of excellent strength, lightness and quality of workmanship.
Just need a few more items and a workshop cleanup before assembly will commence.
Will do some assembly photos and video demo on some building aspects and post same on my Vimeo site. No, I'm not an expert at this but I have some experience that can be of use to guys earlier on the curve.
In the meantime... check out those zone wing panels...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kit Pieces.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	468.1 KB
ID:	224354  
Old 11-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #16
takeoffeh
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Jeff C

Total Props: 3

Nice BoB . The resolution of your pictures looks great.
It always amazes me how far parts can travel in a few days. They have already flown about 2000 miles.

Jeff
takeoffeh is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #17
ddruck
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Dan D.
Radio of choice:
DX18, JR9503, JR9303,

Total Props: 5

Nice work Jeff, very impressive. Looking forward to the build Bob.

Bob as you are going to do a video, I would like to throw in something I have noticed that is sorely lacking in much of Glider builds not just DLG. When I came back to the hobby and started back to gliders I red lot of discussions on glider builds, aerodynamics, construction details, motors, where applicable, radios.... But no one explained how to actually put it all together into a flying machine. Many builds end with: I installed my radio and here is a video of my model flying, the end. I ended up getting Paul Naton's videos where he explained how to install a radio and how to fly the glider. That part is seriously lacking generally on the net, no matter what model. I know you can write books on programing radios and once you get experience you do your own thing, but every builder of a glider, especially aimed at beginners should say how they basically set up their particular glider, with what radio they used, what functions on what stick and the importance of all that to that particular glider, even if it is just the pilots opinion. This kind of examples are lacking in many builds. I do not know if you understand what I am getting at, or if I explained it well enough, but I use to have hard time guessing if my radio was even capable of flying the plane I was interested in, there was no, even, semi detailed example of what was needed anywhere and it was frustrating. Just throwing it out there.
Dan

Last edited by ddruck; 11-25-2013 at 09:24 PM.
ddruck is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:15 PM   #18
B.Welwood
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Multiplex & Taranis

Some good points Dan. Radio installation is a key piece of any DLG build. Things like servo mounting, wiring harness fab, pushrod options, power systems, (to name a few) can be daunting to the inexperienced. Selecting the right pieces and setting up the radio system are also critical. Everyone eventually develops their own methods and preferences but a demo on a better practice method is a good start.
Thanks for this. My intent with this is to encourage anyone out there who would like to try a DLG build but is a little intimidated by the whole process. I don't purport to be an expert, just an average guy that likes to do a clean functional build. I also like to see how others do things.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:00 AM   #19
DHansen
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: rippin the bring
Radio of choice:
Spektrum/JR
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 11

Roy, The model I bought is the Topsky carbon pretty much a viper but with a different wing.

Bob,you're starting to put together quite a collection, looking forward to seeing the new zone wings, cool looking colors too.
DHansen is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:26 PM   #20
DHansen
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: rippin the bring
Radio of choice:
Spektrum/JR
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 11

Versus build video by Andrew Newton
http://youtu.be/dcIDaHj9mGY
DHansen is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in