sea planes - Page 4 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Float Planes Discuss float planes here...or any other aircraft that floats.

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 08:52 PM   #31
NorseHammer
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Moe N.

Total Props: 0
So many Ideas so little time

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Most of us have more planes we'd love to build than time to do so, your seaplane is one many are thinking about in spare moments such as when we're stuck in traffic, following the wife with the shopping cart etc. To follow your efforts and throw in the occasional comment hopefully will get us on track to make the time ourselves to build more planes (Don't let the wives know this thought) Your building for more than just yourself!

BTW where in that dry flat expensive expanse of prairie do you plan to fly that Seaplane?

Moe

S.P.A.D.s, Fibreglas & Balsa EDF's, Foamies, Brushless powered and nitro balsa planes, they're all in my hanger, just don't explain what it all means to the mrs, eh?
NorseHammer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:05 AM   #32
jkaz
RCC Junior Contributor

i live closer to bc I know i'm from the Grande Priairie but i think the city has now filled that prairie therefor it's not so flat here and we have lot's of small lakes (read as swamps) to fly from
mostly i wanted something to take to the lake when i go camping and then when winter comes i'll have something to keep the rust out of my thumbs i've tried floats and didn't like the drag they created and skis tended to fold up or down while looping and rolling
jkaz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:52 PM   #33
NorseHammer
RCC Expert Contributor

Sounds Practical!

Good Reasons for a seaplane, I've got to started on mid now...

S.P.A.D.s, Fibreglas & Balsa EDF's, Foamies, Brushless powered and nitro balsa planes, they're all in my hanger, just don't explain what it all means to the mrs, eh?

Old 07-22-2007, 07:23 PM   #34
jkaz
RCC Junior Contributor

i'm just shy of float testing again and my internet is down at home so no pics for a few more days but i'll post some as soon as i can
Old 08-01-2007, 08:55 PM   #35
jkaz
RCC Junior Contributor

yay internet at home sortof hehe neighbors connection shhhh don't tell him!

more pictures spad seaplane mk III as always suggestions comments welcome if i don't like what you say i won't read it

i had installed the tail servos in the engine pod but then decided that the vibrations might cause control issues any thoughts on this would be appreciated simple metal clevises would make it easy to remove the wing still and i'm gonna use fishing line in pull pull configuration for both elevator and rudder

the other option for them is to mount them in the top of the wing under the engine pod still have to disconnect to remove wing but won't be as affected by engine vibs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sa400028_454.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	26004   Click image for larger version

Name:	sa400014_214.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	26005   Click image for larger version

Name:	sa400026_725.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	26006  
Jonathan
Old 08-02-2007, 09:08 AM   #36
NorseHammer
RCC Expert Contributor

Control

Thats a very interesting and unique solution to the control mounting issue, you end up with everything in the wing and nothing in what could be a solid foam fuselage. Great innovation! The only thing to consider doing differently is Top mounting all servo's to keep them a little further away from the water. Not really a problem of any significance though.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:13 AM   #37
jkaz
RCC Junior Contributor

only four holes in the fuse one for the reciever which i won't leave out in the open specially working on water it will be wrapped like the batt in celophane (the second hole) then the wing will be sealed to the fuse by some type of gasket like a bead of silicone allowed to dry before installing the wing so it won't stick but will seal under the wing the remaining two are wing mount blocks that have been sunk into the foam and dowels running down into the foam and epoxied in place don't want the wing to come off and if it does the fuse will be in more than one piece it's on there good

the only servos under the wing are the ailerons and there way out from the fuse i don't expect much spray to get there the wing tips pontoons will be at the tips so no spray from them will get to the servos, hopefully anyway

thanks for the compliment norsehammer i'm finding that designing and thinking of ways to overcome problems are just about as much fun as flying the end result
Jonathan
Old 01-18-2008, 08:32 PM   #38
pikepole999

Did it fly!?
pikepole999 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:41 PM   #39
jkaz
RCC Junior Contributor

well i don't really know yet hehe i ran out of summer to test in the water and so far it's been to cold to get to the field for snow tests it does however track very nicely in the snow with very little drag so i'm thinking i may have it. i'll post pics later it's nice now weather wise so i'm thinking i might test fly soon
Jonathan
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in