Airborne, finally!!!!! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 08:10 PM   #1
copeland69
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
Airborne, finally!!!!!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Well everyone, I finally got her off the ground. After much reading, posting, and tweaking I finally got airborne today, Yaaahhoooooo!!!!! It spooled up real nice and then lifted off into a hover at about 5 feet(my micro heli experience paid off big time and I felt confident right away). As some of you may remember I had gyro problems before but this was solved by flipping it upside down and voila - stable tail. I could'nt believe how much more stable the big heli's are(Ya I know, a 30 size isn't all that big but when your used to micro electric's - they're huge!!!!). As I write this I still have a HUGE smile on my face, I'm HOOKED. I bought these heli's 7 months ago and I'm just now getting flying - my patience has paid off. Some minor tweaking now and she'll fly like a dream.
So once again I turn to all you knowledgeable rotary wing folks and ask a few more questions: - At just over half throttle the rpm's die off slowly and it loses lift - but as soon as I back the throttle off the rpm's come right back up. It won't go much past half throttle without doing this - any ideas?
- Tail wagging - is this just a matter of tweaking the gyro sensitivity or is there something else involved?
And one final note: to all of you who have offered your expertise, advice or just sharing a common experience, Thankyou very, very much.
Talk to ya soon!!
Warren
copeland69 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:27 PM   #2
cassat
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dave
Radio of choice:
Airtronics Aquila,Taranis,DX7
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 11
The Curve

Hmmmmm

Good questions Warren
I think this happened to me also and I ended up leaning my mixture a bit more. At half throttle you pick up a load after 2 degrees pitch.

Tail wagging usually means you have to back off your gyro sensitivity a bit.

Maybe Colin will add to this ?
cassat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:55 PM   #3
skyad
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Darrell B

Warren what type of engine are you running.
skyad is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 02-16-2006, 05:54 PM   #4
copeland69
RCC Apprentice

It's a TT36. I'm not sure how good the TT motors are but this one seems to be OK.

Warren
Old 02-16-2006, 07:28 PM   #5
Carlyle
RCC Contributor

I am: carlyle anderson

ok. The TT engines are known for getting hot... To check this, I would do the following. Hover your helicopter for at least a minute or so, then land, and let the blades spool down... Using your index finger, check and see how hot the backplate of the engine is... If you can hold your finger on it, its cool enough, which means you can lean the engine a bit. However, if it is too hot, then turn the mixutre a bit richer. This will help.

As far as the tail waging goes, if I were you, I would turn the 'delay' up a bit on your gyro, rather than less 'rate'. This depends on what gyro and servo you are running though. What are they?

I will try to help the best I can,
Old 02-17-2006, 11:32 AM   #6
copeland69
RCC Apprentice

Hey Carlyle

I've got a Futaba401 gyro and a Hitec 425 for the tail. I've got a bunch of spare servo's, I think I'll put a new one on and try that.
Are any of these servo's suitable for the tail: - JR NES537
- JR NES513
- Futaba FP-S148
- Futaba S3004
They all appear to be in excellent shape.
I've got a digital handheld thermometer, is there a certain temp I should be running at for optimal performance?
What about carb setting, I'm running with the needle about 3 turns out, and I've been adjusting a click or two at a time. Most of the books I've read have stated that this is a good place to start. Maybe the TT engine is different. Any thought's?

I thought originally that it idled alright, but I'm thinking now, that may not be the case. It seems at times that it wants to die and I'm always adjusting the throttle trim to keep it running. It won't idle down enough to completely stop the blades from turning. Although very close to stopping!

The sun is starting to come up on another beautiful winter day and I'm going to do some more flying and adjusting. I've been trying to convince a couple of my buddies to go big. They're flying micro's and once they see the how much stability and power you get with the 30size birds I think they gonna be spending some cash to make the next step!!! It would be great to have a few more heli pilots in the area. There's about 3 of us here and the one guy that knows the most tends to work out of town on a regular basis. Oh well!

Anyhow, thanks for the advice! I'm going downstairs to put on a new tail servo and try that out. I need to adjust the tracking today too! It's a bit out.

Talk to you later

Warren
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in