Help! Question About Dope Types - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 01-18-2014, 08:47 AM   #11
kip51035
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 18
Re: Help! Question About Dope Types

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
NoN certified fabric, If you search around in general aviation catalogs there is usually one of them that sell non certified fabric. It is usually about one half the price of the certified stuff and it is sixty inches wide. It comes in a close weave 1.7 oz. weight and does not take much dope to fill.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:03 PM   #12
oldtomcat
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Tom R
Radio of choice:
Airtronics
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 5

Cliff: I think koverall is actually what was once called Cecoite 104.

otc
oldtomcat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:27 PM   #13
Frank Klenk
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Frank Klenk
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 49

Everything you ever wanted to know right here ... http://www.antiquemodeler.org/
MECA 4762
Thank a farmer
My Website, https://frankshangar.com/
My YouTube channels,
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7m...ZDhGp4w/videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-k...8MphsMZuVfwqJw
Frank Klenk is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:04 PM   #14
MikeS
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Mike S
Radio of choice:
JR 9503 dsm2

Total Props: 1

Richard, you don't have to travel all the way across town to get the stuff. Next time you're heading in, detour up to Oshawa airport, and just off Taunton on the airfield there is an aviation supplier who carries all this stuff.

I covered my big J3 with Stitts Lite and nitrate dope. Used Sig Stickit as an adhesive as the Stitts PolyTak stuff was just too gooey and seemed to lump some. Still to be fair, I didn't really experiment with it much.
Nitrate was fine on the Stitts, which is a heat shrink. I sprayed the Cub with latex which is great.

Have fun,
Mike
Old 01-18-2014, 11:55 PM   #15
rcgeorge
RCC Contributor

I am: robert d
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 2

Shouldn't have a problem with the tautening nitrate on the Ceconite (or polyester)...its not like hitting it with an iron or anything. Just don't go crazy tightening things up with the iron at first.
Nitrate is the best for filling the weave with relatively no weight penalty. You can always do Nitrate first, then let it pickle off for a while and do Latex paint for your color coats. Just something to think about.
Cheers
R
Old 01-19-2014, 05:13 AM   #16
MikeS
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Mike S
Radio of choice:
JR 9503 dsm2

Total Props: 1

This is the one for Ceconite, which basically is similar, if not the same as Coverall. At least the bits I have seem the same. They carried it in Oshawa - Cox Aviation Supplies.
http://www.randolphaircraft.com/e4964.html

Mike
Old 01-19-2014, 12:01 PM   #17
michaely
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JRx8103, FrSky Taranis, Horus 10x and Aloft Hobbies single stick w/FrSky X10s parts
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 83

I used Sig Supercoat clear butyrate (presumeably with more tautening power than 'Lite Coat') on a quarter scale model that is still around after 35-40 years and did not experience any warping of the structure nor is there any cracking of the finish today.

I recall that I added a "plasticizer" ... pharmacy grade castor oil in the amount of perhaps 5 drops per quart....... Dave Brown had a similar product called FlexAll that people also used. The plasticizer was used to prevent cracking of the finish over time, but others have said/claimed that it also reduces the tautening power of regular nitrate or butyrate dope.
It may be worthwhile calling up Randoph or Brodak and asking them... and others hers here may have an opinion on this.

The control line crowd websites and blogs would be further sources of information.

good luck,

Michael
michaely is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in