Fitzpatrick .61 ABC info wanted - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 12:40 PM   #11
Frank Klenk
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Frank Klenk
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 49

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey Guys

I wish I could chime in here with some helpful information. About the only info I know is they were built around 1978. I'm sure they were built for more than a year so '78 may be the 1st year? Were these intended to be a sport engine? More towards Precision aerobatics would be my guess and obviously helicopter. Never knew they made a heli version. I collect engines, specifically Canadian. I have found some real gems, the tough part is getting all the history put together. A nice engine on the shelf doesn't mean much to me, unless I know the who, what, when, where and why about it. I think digging up the history is what I enjoy the most. I have got some cool stories too. Actually the twin you sold me Wayne, I am still digging up history on it. One of my leads dates back to Alexander Graham Bell. Remember his hydro foil? Well, apparently he made models of it, several. One thing I forgot Wayne, was to get that audio cassete from you with your interview. Do you still have it? It's like putting a big puzzle together, with a lot of pieces missing LOL!

The Fitzpatrick is one engine I don't have yet. But if anyone would like to part with one please pm me. So, where were the Fitzpatrick bros from?

Cheers
Frank
MECA 4762
Thank a farmer
My Website, https://frankshangar.com/
My YouTube channels,
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7m...ZDhGp4w/videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-k...8MphsMZuVfwqJw
Frank Klenk is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:48 PM   #12
Glenn Nigh
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Glenn N
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 9
Fitzpatrick

Frank

Have you a copy of Frank Anderson's Blue Book on engines? Would there be some info in that?
Some how I think I heard that the Fitz. brothers lived in California. I think they did racing, perhaps pylon. I'm not sure.They designed the motor and had the castings done in the USA. No machine shop would take on the job of finishing them. I can find out from a friend what the name of the machine shop was ( It slips my mind). Perhaps we can even find out from them more info on the brothers. I do not have access to my copy of the June 93 RCM, maybe some one could find a copy and see what is included in the write up.
I will "e" mail another friend to see what he knows. He has a large motor collection.
For your info, I might consider selling my unused engine. It is really too nice to run???
Glenn
Glenn Nigh is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:21 PM   #13
skypupnut
RCC Master Contributor

I am: jean c blouin
Radio of choice:
hitec polk spektrum
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 2
Hi Frank
I have the 1993 RCM june mag
I could scan you a copy of the article
the first 60`s were produced bySwisscraft in north Hollywood calif.in 1978
they produced 100 first generation engines
then 200 second gen. engines were produced by themselves but had to stop because of problems finding competent workers in calif.
as of 1993 the new updated refined 61 were produced by a Canadian company ( not named )
quite interesting story and what a beautifull engine.

regards

Jean
Skype jean.blouin
skypupnut is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:25 AM   #14
Glenn Nigh
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Glenn N
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Fitzpatric 61

Jean

Unfortunately I did not have the '93 review here with me. Your reminder of the second production accounts for the fact I could not place the '78 date. I was approached in the early '90s. I remember that some of the castings were lost because of poor workmanship done earlier.
I also remember that in the end, I was cheesed off because the Canadian machine shop was never given the credits they deserved for such a fine job. The castings say Made In the" USA."

Glenn
Glenn Nigh is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:59 PM   #15
Frank Klenk
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Frank Klenk
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 49
I sure would appreciate a copy of the RCM article Jean. The info from the blue book doesn't go into as much detail as what Jean has. Looks like from 78 to 92 was made in the USA and then in 93 it came to Canada. Blue book lists 6 models, 1978 the 1st version, 1986, 4 models and 1993 to Canada. 1986 had a heli version and a FIRE version. The AMEE lists only 3, starting in 1975 ending in 1983, no Canadian link mentioned at all. Clanford which is a pictorial shows only 1, 1978 and made in the USA. Glen, if you like to part with it let me know. Noooooooo, don't run it! It's strictly a shelf queen now, or so I all them,
Jean, I'll pm you my email. Apparently they are a very strong runner. Any more info??

Frank
MECA 4762
Thank a farmer
My Website, https://frankshangar.com/
My YouTube channels,
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7m...ZDhGp4w/videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-k...8MphsMZuVfwqJw
Frank Klenk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:02 PM   #16
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61
Dave Gierke also did a very thorough test/review in MAN. Its somewhere in my collection.

I remember almost buying one of the 61's at Flitecraft hobbies when Iw as a syudent at Conestoga College in the early 90's. (But I went with an OS 91 FS instead.)

They werent quiate as "hot" an engine as the Fitzpatrick ads were claiming. If I remember the article correctly, it was a good running engine but nothing overly spectacular.

I also thought I may have something in an old copy of MB magazine on it, but I would have about 1500 mags to go through...

AJC
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:23 PM   #17
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

AJ wrote: " I remember almost buying one of the 61's at Flitecraft hobbies when Iw as a syudent at Conestoga College in the early 90's. (But I went with an OS 91 FS instead.)"

Do you remember John McDonald who worked for Flitecraft Hobbies in Kitchener?

He was a member of our club for a short while (Brant Flyers) before moving to BC. He was flying, I think it was his P51 Mustang with one of these engines in it. I remember thinking how sweet the engine looked. His engine seemed to me to run pretty nice. First and last time I've ever seen one. Looked like a real nice piece of work!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:03 PM   #18
Wayne MIller
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Wayne MIller
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303
# of RCs: 19

Tape

Hi Frank,

I forgot about the tape and thought you had it. I checked around, and found it still in the cassette player from when I played it for you! Sorry.

Next time your around this way, let me know and I'll be sure to be home and give it to you.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne
Wayne MIller is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:02 AM   #19
skypupnut
RCC Master Contributor

I am: jean c blouin
Radio of choice:
hitec polk spektrum
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Klenk
I sure would appreciate a copy of the RCM article Jean. The info from the blue book doesn't go into as much detail as what Jean has. Looks like from 78 to 92 was made in the USA and then in 93 it came to Canada. Blue book lists 6 models, 1978 the 1st version, 1986, 4 models and 1993 to Canada. 1986 had a heli version and a FIRE version. The AMEE lists only 3, starting in 1975 ending in 1983, no Canadian link mentioned at all. Clanford which is a pictorial shows only 1, 1978 and made in the USA. Glen, if you like to part with it let me know. Noooooooo, don't run it! It's strictly a shelf queen now, or so I all them,
Jean, I'll pm you my email. Apparently they are a very strong runner. Any more info??

Frank
the Fitzpatrick brothers (Charlie and Mike ) were from the USA control line speed competitors in the 1960`s. high class engine, almost bought one myself, loved the look of it but money was short then

a copy will be E mailed to you ASAP
Skype jean.blouin
skypupnut is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:34 AM   #20
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 0
Back in 1995, a friend of my mother ran the Canadian aero-space production company where the last Fitzpatricks were manufactured. They had ceased manufacturing by then, but they had lots of parts left over. He gave me 2 of the .60's that he threw together from leftover parts.
One I ran for a few years in various planes, and the other was run just a couple of times. The more used engine was sold in an airplane.
The other I still have.
I remember Clarence's article, I still have it somewhere. According to him, it was the strongest stock .60 of the time, based on the RPM it would turn an 11X6 prop. If I remember right, it was something like 12500 RPM.
In my opinion, the engines ran excellent. Started easily, and were very smooth. I didn't think the power felt as strong as claimed, but that may have been partially because of the weight. If I remember correctly, the Fitz was several ounces heavier than comparable .60's.
The stock muffler was a thing of beauty. Unfortunately, it did very little to reduce the sound level.
There was at the time an adapter available that allowed a standard O.S. muffler to be used. I have one on my remaining Fitz.
You could also use a strap-on type, which I did when I required a Pitts style muffler.
The only other issue with the engine was the needle valve. It relied on the friction of the o-ring to prevent the setting from changing. (no "ratchet")With a new o-ring, it works fine. But before to long, the valve would begin screwing itself out, creating a very rich run. A piece of large fuel tubing placed over the assembly is required.

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in