Old 02-01-2012, 02:21 PM   #21
JKovats
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John R
Radio of choice:
JR

Total Props: 20
Re: 1/3 scale spacewalker

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi Derrick;

I am just getting ready for our mall show this weekend and my shop has a few planes in it right now. After the weekend I will bring the plane in, (I Hang all my stuff in my garage), and take a bunch of pictures for you. I have a little maintenance to do for the spring, new fuel lines, battery pack etc so I will bring it in and do that plane first. Okay?

aka Johnny Versatile

MAAC 65460

Hespeler Model Aviators Inc.
Cambridge Float Flyers

I don't have the answers, but I have a personal relationship with the Guy that does.
JKovats is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #22
tallone66
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Derrick
Radio of choice:
Futaba 8fg
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 3

That would be great. Thanks a ton.
Cheers
Derrick
tallone66 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:35 PM   #23
tallone66
RCC Senior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba 8fg

box opened, few pics. fiberglass stuff is fantastic, no pinholes visible, I imagine some will be found though.
All hardware bagged per components, takes away any guessing where the stuff goes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hardware.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	137358  
Attached Files
File Type: fibergl-------- (221.6 KB, 91 views)

Old 02-01-2012, 11:39 PM   #24
tallone66
RCC Senior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba 8fg

The amount of sticks are crazy. somewhere inthis pile of wood is a plane.
Before and after pics of sorting all the lumber.
Am now laminating as much as I can tonite so I can start building in the morning.
Will keep ya all posted.

Cheers
Derrick
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	before sorting.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	137359   Click image for larger version

Name:	all sorted.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	137360   Click image for larger version

Name:	bigass box of wood.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	137361  
Old 02-01-2012, 11:54 PM   #25
JKovats
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR

Something you might consider when building yours. I have the spacewalker II with two cockpits. It's basically the same plane. A few years ago, I was landing too slow and had a tip stall. The plane basically came in flat but the rear wheel landed a tad sooner than the mains. Shattered some of the stick fuselage behind the wing saddle. It didn't appear too bad, but when I started to remove the covering it looked like a small explosion had taken place.

I decided to remove the tail feathers and build a completely new stick fuselage from the wing saddle back. This time I used spruce or maple stringers,(can't remember which), and cross framing instead of balsa. I didn't trust the original set up any more over time. The additional weight was minimal but the strengh obtained was unbelievable. I ended up recovering and going thru the entire plane. I found I had a crack in the main wing spar from the same incident. Saves a lot of future grief.

These things are basically floaters, but they can decieve you when flying slow. It has a very thick airfoil. I have my ailerons set up as flaperons and I fool around with this set up a bit. Nothing like a real slow flyby with o honkin 4 stroke and an open cockpit plane with a passenger. At least I get a bang out of it.

If you can get a space walker on a simulator that's how it flies! At least on my AeroFly Professional it's pretty much identical to the real thing.

Just a little input. Here are a few pics. I will get you the aileron set ups next week and other stuff I have done once I bring it in for maintainance.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1746.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	137362   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1748.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	137363   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1749.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	137364   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1750.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	137365  

Name:	IMG_1752.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	137366   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1754.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	137367   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1755.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	137368   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1757.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	137369  

aka Johnny Versatile

MAAC 65460

Cambridge Float Flyers

I don't have the answers, but I have a personal relationship with the Guy that does.

Last edited by JKovats; 02-02-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:45 AM   #26
tallone66
RCC Senior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba 8fg

Wow, your plane is nice. I hope mine comes out half as good.
Was kinda wondering about all that balsa back there, I just might take your suggestion.
What did you cover your plane with? looks real nice.
Got building tonight for a few hrs, one wing panel pretty near done now, just need to finish up the joiners. Will habe some pics up tomorrow.
Cheers
Derrick
Old 02-02-2012, 07:31 AM   #27
JKovats
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR

Hi Derrick;

I can't remember the name of the covering, but it is not monikote. It's heavier and it has a bit of a weave to it, if I recall it's cub yellow. The paint is an automotive spray can from CTC. The original was done in lustrekote but I couldn't get that colour anymore at the time so I matched it to a CTC spray bomb. It's outlined with thin black tape from LHS.

aka Johnny Versatile

MAAC 65460

Cambridge Float Flyers

Old 02-02-2012, 08:44 AM   #28
flyboy4540
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Peter H
Radio of choice:
Airtronics

Total Props: 0

Great to see someone else is also building a 1/3 Spacewalker. Started mine back in September, should be ready to start covering next week. I was looking at converting it to a Spacewalker II, however in reseaching the wing of the Spacewalker II is a panel longer on each side and the fuse is also longer. Decided to stay with the kit.

I did do some kit bashing, did not like the 3-ply will dihedral braces, replaced these with 1/4 - 5 plywood. Also re-designed the cockpit, so that I could put a full pilot in it, will look a lot better than just a head.

One recommendation, if you have someone that can do some machine work, have him make you new alumium front and rear joiner spars, that fit tighter into the channel.

I am also have a buddy make me up a scale landing gear also, if you want one let me know and will see what his price would be.
flyboy4540 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:41 AM   #29
tallone66
RCC Senior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba 8fg

Yes, I agree about the lite ply braces. I cut some new ones as well out of 5 ply birch. Will most likely be stuck with the stock joiners though, Wish there was a way to use tubes instead. Mind you, I personally haven't heard of a joiner failure in these planes. I am definatly interested in scale gear, see what you can find for me if you could please.
I am leaning towards Koverall, not to keen on Iron on coverings, and I hate trying to hide big seams.
Well, back to the dungeon for more CA fumes. Pics will be up soon.

Cheers
Derrick
Old 02-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #30
JKovats
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR

Hey Derrick;

You won't regret using Koverall and EZEKote. I have now done 3 planes with Koverall. !st one was a Skybolt finished with Dope. Turned out great. Still looks great but dope is fumey and getting hard to get so I am finished with the dope thing. Second was my Heath Baby Bullet primered with auto laquer primer and finished with acrylic latex paint. No strength added to the fabric. Turned out fabulous but still trying to figure out how to fuel proof the paint. The last one that I am currently working on, 25% Great Lakes Bipe, Koverall, EZEKote, enamel primer, will topcoat with acrylic latex has turned out the best so far and has been the easiest to work with using the EZEKote. The EZEKote has also added a lot of strength to the fabric.

I'm off mono. I am starting to thin my fleet for my preferred planes. I plan on redoing all my keepers over time with Koverall, EZEKote, enamel primer and acrytlic latex until I find something better. This is the best combo I have found so far that is affordable and relatively easy to work with. They should last as long as I do with the saito engines I run.

aka Johnny Versatile

MAAC 65460

Cambridge Float Flyers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in