Heat limit for JB Weld? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 07:33 AM   #1
s.millington

Total Props: 0
Heat limit for JB Weld?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Does anyone know what the heat limit for JB Weld is? I'm considering using it to create a pressure tap boss on an aluminium tuned pipe.

Or, does anyone know who carries Alumiweld in Canada?

Cheers,
s.millington is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-13-2003, 07:57 AM   #2
Argus
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Wade Z

Total Props: 4
Don't know if this will help, but...

A few years back I crashed my trainer, and a piece got broke off the bottom of my ASP 40's carb. While thinking about replacing the carb, figured to try JB Weld as a fix. Worked like a charm-probably 75 flights on engine since the repair and still holding (crossed fingers). Not sure if it will handle exhaust temp though.
MAAC #57828
Living dangerously in the Low Fly Zone (seakings overhead !!!!)
Aircraft Maintenence Engineer-Structures apprentice
Argus is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-13-2003, 08:18 AM   #3
s.millington

Hi Argus:

JB Weld is great stuff for sure, but not quite as good as I was hoping. I found the temperature rating. It's up to 300degF for both the cold set and the quik set JB. I think that's less than half of what I need in this case.

Still looking for Alumiweld

Old 09-13-2003, 11:20 AM   #4
Hughes500E
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Steve H.

Total Props: 16
Have you ever used a temperature guage on an RC engine?
I have used JB weld on all kinds of engines......... even as exhaust gakets
never a problem...........
Hughes500E is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-13-2003, 12:10 PM   #5
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61
I think the stuff is crap - at least when it comes to making exhaust parts. I have tried numerous times to make mousse can pipes, pressure nipples, etc with KB but it allways softens on me and within a few flights it comes apart. I know some guys have had success, but I wasnt one of them...

I have some sweet stuff that is a foundry repair product for fixing casting flaws. It is >90% aluminum with a high temp binder, it takes the heat! Only trouble a small kit of the stuff is $80. I got it from a foundry supply house in Milton.

What gets me is I know that some guys have repaired mufflers and made mousse can pipes with JB Weld (or at least they claim to have) but when I try and use it, it doesnt work for long...? Whats up with that??
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-13-2003, 12:39 PM   #6
Hughes500E
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Steve H.

Total Props: 16
Sounds odd for sure....... I love the stuff!!!!
I have a preasure nipple myself done as wanted above. Also fixed an OS 46FX Crankcase with it and drilled new Carb mounts......
Just finished making an Exhaust Gasket on W/A Bisson on the 3.2 as well........... yet to test that one though...
Maybe it's the humidity
Hughes500E is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-13-2003, 12:44 PM   #7
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Hughes,
Fixing crankcases is fine. They dont get that hot - exhaust work is another issue... thats where all my failures have been.

I had 2 mousse can pipes litterally fall apart (the pipes came out as the JB softened up) and also tired fixing mufflers, etc with the same results.

What is alumiweld??

Old 09-13-2003, 01:46 PM   #8
s.millington

I was hoping Andrew would "pipe up" Alumiweld is a rod that is supposed to be very good for torch welding of aluminium. It's supposed to work "as advertised" unlike a whole herd of other products.

The difficulty with welding aluminium basically hinges on a rod / stick that will stay firm long enough for you to poke through the inevitable aluminium oxide, minimise it, puddle well under it, and still weld without blowing away the aluminium.. Even with the right rod it's 99% technique.

http://www.alumiweld.com/

It's a Weston short pipe for an OS 91VR that I'm interested in using it on, based on recommendations from others who solved the same problem. The pipe comes with an epoxied pressure nipple that doesn't do well.(dummies!) It might even be JB Weld that was used. I need the Alumiweld even if just to plug the whole. It may be very similar to the product you mentioned Andrew. Can you tell me how to get in touch with your foundry Suppy Andrew? I'm less than an hour from Milton.

BTW, I haven't had my "morning infusion" yet (work nights). And don't type well without my caffeine so let me know if that made no sense at all

Where's my Coffeee!
Old 09-13-2003, 05:06 PM   #9
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

The place is Smelko Foundry Supplies. The fellow to talk to is Tim, the owners' son. He is very familiar with the product. They do have "sample" sizes... maybe you can get lucky!

As for welding rods, I do have some rods I bought at the Toledo show. There is this older fellow EVERY year up in the swap meet area who spends all day soldering/welding aluminum. I also have some similar product that Minibolt sells. Sometimes it works, sometimes not... I think the prep is the most important. I also have some Lincolm aluminum arc welding rods that can also be used with oxy/acetylene.

If you want a stick let me know I can send it to you...

Old 09-13-2003, 05:14 PM   #10
s.millington

Thanks for the name and the offer Andrew. I'll give them a call as I'll probably need a few rods to practice with, before I muck up the pipe.

It's been a while for me, and I know it's very easy to do.

Cheers,
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in