Newbie with no ride...YET!!! - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Offroad RC Discussion RC Offroad chat for truggies, buggies, short-course and more. Topics may include brands like Associated, Kyosho, Tamiya, Axial, Traxxas and more.

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 08:57 PM   #11
Gump
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Brian Belanger

Total Props: 1

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
i hate to be the killjoy here... but in all honesty you won't get get a complete nitro setup for $250.00, no matter what make or how used it is.

to run any nitro vehicle you'll need the following:
Vehicle
Motor
Pipe
Servos
Transmitter/receiver
Transmitter battery
Receiver Battery

All the above can sometimes be purchased as an RTR kit, but you won't find one for $250.00.... and theres more essentials you'll need to run nitro:

Temp gun
Glow Ignitor
Fuel
Fuel bottle
Starter device or box if your motor isnt pull-start
Battery charger for transmitter, receiver, glow ignitor and starter box or device. (note some transmitters come with chargers, and most ignitors come with a charger... but one that does all batteries is the way to go)

All the above just to start it and run it a couple of times. Theres more:

Tools to repair or money if you want your hobby shop to do it for you
Spare glowplugs
After run oil
Air filter oil
Supplies to clean that air filter.
Supplies to clean your vehicle.
Clutch bearings, shims, springs and shoes (these items wear fairly quickly)
Money for parts that break or wear during use.

On top of all that, the more you get into running and maintaining it, the more tools, supplies and parts you'll need. I haven't even touched on anything like zipties for air filter necks, paint for bodies, glue for tires, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Whatever you chose, make sure you can get parts for it at your local hobby shop. Go there and see what kits are on the shelf and find out if they stock a wide variety of parts for it. Theres no sense getting something that you can't maintain with new parts.
Gump is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:28 PM   #12
imported_k1e1v1i1n
RCC Pro Contributor

Total Props: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump View Post
i hate to be the killjoy here... but in all honesty you won't get get a complete nitro setup for $250.00, no matter what make or how used it is.

to run any nitro vehicle you'll need the following:
Vehicle
Motor
Pipe
Servos
Transmitter/receiver
Transmitter battery
Receiver Battery

All the above can sometimes be purchased as an RTR kit, but you won't find one for $250.00.... and theres more essentials you'll need to run nitro:

Temp gun
Glow Ignitor
Fuel
Fuel bottle
Starter device or box if your motor isnt pull-start
Battery charger for transmitter, receiver, glow ignitor and starter box or device. (note some transmitters come with chargers, and most ignitors come with a charger... but one that does all batteries is the way to go)

All the above just to start it and run it a couple of times. Theres more:

Tools to repair or money if you want your hobby shop to do it for you
Spare glowplugs
After run oil
Air filter oil
Supplies to clean that air filter.
Supplies to clean your vehicle.
Clutch bearings, shims, springs and shoes (these items wear fairly quickly)
Money for parts that break or wear during use.

On top of all that, the more you get into running and maintaining it, the more tools, supplies and parts you'll need. I haven't even touched on anything like zipties for air filter necks, paint for bodies, glue for tires, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Whatever you chose, make sure you can get parts for it at your local hobby shop. Go there and see what kits are on the shelf and find out if they stock a wide variety of parts for it. Theres no sense getting something that you can't maintain with new parts.

that was a bit harsh , alot of ppl go out and buy a rtr and dont buy another thing other then batterys and fuel for a month or 2 rtrs usuly come with a few tools and a way to start the truck in traxxas's case and i belive hpi's too . no one is going to be shimming a cluch the first month they have a car . from the whole list all i can say u might need is extra glow plugs but u can always buy them as u burn them out , if they burn out . the only real thing u need is someone to help u out and show u what to do and what not to do .

buy a truck learn to drive and then in a few weeks when u break somehting dont tell the wife and spend 10-20 bucks fixing it and slowly buy tools that u find u use the most . the way gump is talking its like ur gona buy it and be at the race track that weekend . my first rc car i walked into a shop got the car and fuel and got some batterys on the way home and i played with it for like 2 weeks untill i needed a arm . then i went to the shop and got 1 and i had all the tools i needed to do the fix job included in the rtr kit .

watch out for trees have fun and dont let everyone tell u its super expencive . u can have a kyosho truggy brand new for $400+tax from here http://www.infernosonly.com/ and all u will need is some batterys and fuel .
imported_k1e1v1i1n is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:37 PM   #13
Gump
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Brian Belanger

Total Props: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1e1v1i1n View Post
that was a bit harsh , alot of ppl go out and buy a rtr and dont buy another thing other then batterys and fuel for a month or 2 rtrs usuly come with a few tools and a way to start the truck in traxxas's case and i belive hpi's too . no one is going to be shimming a cluch the first month they have a car . from the whole list all i can say u might need is extra glow plugs but u can always buy them as u burn them out , if they burn out . the only real thing u need is someone to help u out and show u what to do and what not to do .

buy a truck learn to drive and then in a few weeks when u break somehting dont tell the wife and spend 10-20 bucks fixing it and slowly buy tools that u find u use the most . the way gump is talking its like ur gona buy it and be at the race track that weekend . my first rc car i walked into a shop got the car and fuel and got some batterys on the way home and i played with it for like 2 weeks untill i needed a arm . then i went to the shop and got 1 and i had all the tools i needed to do the fix job included in the rtr kit .

watch out for trees have fun and dont let everyone tell u its super expencive . u can have a kyosho truggy brand new for $400+tax from here http://www.infernosonly.com/ and all u will need is some batterys and fuel .
Kevin, I only speak the truth.
People routinely burn out clutch shoes before the motor is broken in because they let it idle too high on the ground up against a curb. This guy wants to hit the track for some fun - tracks are dirty and dusty. The air filter won't last the day. At a track you're on and off the throttle all the way around the track, all the time - this wears out clutches FAST! A new driver with no experience will likely have a poor tune and plugs will die. You can't pour fuel from the jug into the tank without a fuel bottle. Motors won' start without glow ignitors.
Theres so many costly little mistakes to be made, and its impossible to teach them all at once. Hell my first day out with my 8th scale buggy 3 years ago cost me over $500.00 in repairs all because a battery popped out of its holder and I knew nothing of 'throttle return devices'.

Gooberman clearly states that he wants to get into nitro to take to a track for some fun for $250.00, and you and I both know it won't happen. If you re-read my post, you'll see I listed whats required to get it going, wahts required to run it a few times and whats required to keep it going. There was no harshness implyed or intended.
Gump is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:37 PM   #14
1nferno
RCC Contributor

Take the time

I have been into Rcing since I was 8 years old, that was 1985, from back then till 2000 or so I messed around with electric cars mostly. I got a Kyosho inferno 1/8 scale buggy for my first nitro, and honstly it was too much for me to keep up with, I broke it, and ended up just letting it sit in the bsmt collecting dust. few years later I got the bug again and decided to buy something a little more novis and not so scary, I went with HPI nitro MT,(from Pinnacle Hobby) it was 10th scale and had a really easy to understand and tune engin (1 needle) the truck was not to expensive( (I think 4-5 hunderd) and the guys there were ready and willing to help me out along my way. After the guy at the shop (Dave Henry) helped me break it in, and gave me a few pointers I went mad with this thing, I had no tooles to fix broken parts, and in the beginning didn't even know what the name of the part I broke was, I just took it to the shop and Dave helped me out every time till I could afford the tooles to fix it on my own.
Later on I pulled out the ol Inferno, and had a blast with that too. I have been few a half dozen or so cars/trucks, an djust last year I bought a Losi Eight T RTR, I hit the track for the first time ever and now I am hooked, I even got the ol Inferno out a few times.
Anyways my whole point to this is when you do decide to buy a nitro vehicle start somewhere manageable, and look to experienced people to help you along the way, The guys and gals into this hobby are among the nicest people I have come across in my life and they are all willing to help a less experienced person on there way.
to get into which one is better for you is really up to yourself, and your budget, if you are looking to go big or go home maybe a used complete car is a good place to start.

Good luck
1nferno is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:50 PM   #15
imported_mackdragon
RCC Apprentice

You'll definately have to research and the biggest advice I can give is whatever you buy make sure the local hobby shops sell parts for it...its a hateful thing to break something minor and have to wait for parts to be ordered and shipped in. i started with an HPI Nitro MT and as I got used to driving it and tuning it I moved up to a Firestorm then I got a fleet of Savages. I own a buggy also but I really don't enjoy it much, if your interested PM me I'll sell it with the starter box and some spare parts for $250.
imported_mackdragon is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:15 PM   #16
1nferno
RCC Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackdragon View Post
You'll definately have to research and the biggest advice I can give is whatever you buy make sure the local hobby shops sell parts for it...its a hateful thing to break something minor and have to wait for parts to be ordered and shipped in. i started with an HPI Nitro MT and as I got used to driving it and tuning it I moved up to a Firestorm then I got a fleet of Savages. I own a buggy also but I really don't enjoy it much, if your interested PM me I'll sell it with the starter box and some spare parts for $250.
Wow now thats a good start right there!
What kind of buggy is it?
1nferno is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in