xs3 VS mx-3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Offroad RC Discussion RC Offroad chat for truggies, buggies, short-course and more. Topics may include brands like Associated, Kyosho, Tamiya, Axial, Traxxas and more.

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 08:27 PM   #1
crash688

Total Props: 0
xs3 VS mx-3

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
im buying a new radio system...which one does everyone like more??
crash688 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:08 PM   #2
PTRCD003
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Bob B

i'd go with the spektrum dx3...its a bit more, but much more convenient, and besides, probably eventually everyone's radio upgrades will be to 2.4ghz, so why not get it now. and i think the dx3 is quite similar to the xs3, but i could be wrong there

PTRCD003 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:32 PM   #3
ChrisP
RCC Contributor

I am: Chris Persyn

I'd still recommend getting a used M8 with Spektrum over a new MX-3 or XS-3...

pricing will be approximately the same...they are all over the boards in the $200US to sub $200US range....and it's a radio with a lot more features, a lot more flexibility and a lot more room to grow....
ChrisP is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 09-29-2005, 06:48 AM   #4
Grandmaster G
RCC Expert Contributor

Forget the M8 and someones used Radio........chances are your not DRAKE or KORTZ..........The Spektrum Dx3 is the way to if you want absolutly no conflicts.......the JR XS3 is a sweet radio also and it is a synth system...ch 61-99............the MX3 is made by Airtronics and is a solid radio also..but buy the synth version.

My Reccomendation?
Spektrum DSM or JR XS3 synth
Grandmaster G is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:11 AM   #5
Mugenman
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Muckey M

You don't need to be Kortz or Drake to use a M8. It's a awesome radio. You can get a great used one and put a Spektrum in it. I know most of us like to buy only new radio's. I sold my M8 and it works flawlessly for the guy that has it. I used it since 97 with only having to change a switch. That's awaesome in my books.

You can't go wronge with either radio.
Mugenman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:20 AM   #6
ChrisP
RCC Contributor

not to mentionthat the market is flooded with M8's with Spektrum systems right now since the release of the M11 and many people not wnting to drill the additional holes in their Spektrum module to make their M8 module work in the M11...

I'm personally a huge fan of module based radios..so that once you have the option of either FM or Spektrum as the situation dictates..

The Spektrum technology is still new enough that it's nice to have a backup plan. My Spektrum system workd flawlessly for me in offroad with my nitro gear, but electric may introduce bugs that I haven't seen yet....it's nice to be able to swap out the module and go back to FM if the Spektrum needs to go to service for a firmware upgrade..

Likewise, there are a lot of people running synth systems that are kicking themselves a bit, wishing that they had left themselves an upgrade path to DSM....now to go DSM they need to buy a new radio system.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:23 AM   #7
imported_PB

Exclamation

While either radio system is great, the XS3 is a synthesized radio, so you don't need to spend a fortune on crystals. Right now they can be had for very cheap if you look used. If you have the extra cash, the Spektrum product is supposed to be amazing, but your entry cost will be higher. It however will have telemetry modules available at somepoint if that was ever of interest to you.

Synth radio's like the XS3 are great cause you will almost always be able to find an open channel. And with more racers moving over to the 2.4GHz bands, more of the 75Mhz channels will be free. So your safe as long as you go with either a synth radio or spektrum in my opinion.

PB

P.s. Check out this link if you want to save a lot of money on an XS3 system:
(http://www.offroadrc.ca/showpost.php...6&postcount=16)
imported_PB is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:02 AM   #8
ChrisP
RCC Contributor

You'll not have to buy Tx crystals...but you'll either need Rx crystals or synth receivers which are more expensive....
Old 09-29-2005, 08:17 AM   #9
imported_PB

Sorry, I thought he was comparing between the MX-3 and the XS3 as posted (in which case, he would be required to by crystals) not the MX-3S you are assuming.

PB
imported_PB is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:48 AM   #10
Grandmaster G
RCC Expert Contributor

The Grandmaster is definitly no DRAKE or KORTZ.....but I use a KO PROPO Helios w/Spektrum module and recievers for each car....I like the module systems too.......I just feel that SPEKTRUM is not necessary for anyone who is looking for a good radio to do some BASHING......I install my Xs3 when I go bashing and I install the Spektrum when at the track.
Grandmaster G is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in