Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 12:17 PM   #1
luv2flyrc
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: A. Nonymous

Total Props: 163
For Sale forum ethics

Hi guys,

Thought I'd toss this one out for discussion as I have noticed this happen on many occasions in the For Sale forums on this site in particular and it has reared it's ugly head yet again.

How do u feel about people "commenting" on the item for sale. For eg. there's a F-4 Phantom for sale thread right now that has turned into a nightmare. People complaining that the jet was listed for sale in USD, one guy even commented that the jet was not worth the money because it was not a turbine.

The poster happen to be a 1st time user of RCCanada- nice intro. to the site.

But, this is just the latest eg. it's almost common on here to see people complain about the listed price, suggest other places to buy the item cheaper or insinuate the poster is a fraud, all with no back up.

My own opinion is that the For Sale forums are NOT discussion forums, unless u are interested and have a legitimate question about the item for sale, don't post there.

I've had ads subjected to this kind of behavior in the past and it quickly kills the marketability of the item when there is no reason for it. Now, I'm not such a hardliner that I'm opposed to the odd comments such as " nice airplane wish I had the money" kinda thing. I'm talking about comments that directly are intended to damage the sale of the item.

So, let's hear those opinions, am I out of line here or should we show some restraint and use the discussion forums for the comments.

Mike
luv2flyrc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:34 PM   #2
jamesbissonjr
RCC Master Contributor

I am: James B

Total Props: 1
I must agree, that unless you're specifically interested in buying the item, or need some more information on it, then there's no need for you to post in that thread. Maybe we should go to a 'post only' for the for sale section and all interested buyers would have to pm the seller, therefore keeping the 'auction' somewhat private. In other words, a seller can create the 'for sale' thread but turn off 'reply' posting for that section. Just a suggestion.

Bisson Custom Mufflers
jamesbissonjr is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:55 PM   #3
Chris Cann
RCC Supreme Contributor

Total Props: 0
I tend to agree with you guys. Anyways I went into one person's feedback because I was looking at their plane and noticed they had two negative feedback so I go in to see what it's about and the one feedback reads "lazy ---- u are u never drained fuel tank" And the person that wrote that, also wrote in the forums "wow that full tank of fuel will make it sell,what were u to dam lazy to drain the tank after u flew it??That is the worst selling pitch i ever heard!!!" It appears to me they were just there to cause trouble, Now I understand the feedback is a GREAT tool for people who like to do on-line trading such as myself as I personally can't afford to buy all of my stuff new but I think maybe there should be a sticky post in the General RC Forum and in the For Sale forums to say how to properly use it as some people are too immature to realize how it should be used.
Chris Cann is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:26 PM   #4
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

I agree that we don't need negative comments on the site. If I am interested I will say so and also pm them. Sometimes you find it is not quite what you need but you don't have to downgrade it for the seller. Somebody else would probably want it until you see the comments.
John
Old 02-13-2005, 01:31 PM   #5
Frenchman
RCC Contributor

I am: Rene B

Mike

I agree with you whole heartily, but unfortunately every board has a few a#$%$#s, that have no regards for others. their property or feelings for that matter. I tend to avoid them like the plague, and do not answer any of their posts, even if I want to purchase what they have for sale. If more did that maybe they would disappear like the morning fog. JMHO

MAAC # 68775
Frenchman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:31 PM   #6
nony
RCC Supreme Contributor

Here's my take:

A classified ad is an offer of goods for sale...treat it the same as if it were posted in a newspaper, or on a bulletin board at the local 7-11.

Everyone is welcome to their opinions, but....would you write it all over the ad at 7-11...or write a "letter to the Editor" complaining about the ad????

Probably not.

Then why mess up a thread, and interfere with the sale of the item when you have no interest in it???? If you don't like it - move on! If you can get the item cheaper at Tower Hobbies, then give the guy an offer--he can accept or decline as he sees fit. If an item is overpriced, it is not going to sell. If it doesn't sell, whose problem is it??? There is zero need to discuss it within the ad itself. If you are trying to be helpful and suggest that his pricing is out of line with the market, do it via a PM or email.

Issues such as the currency for sale could be discussed in another forum - such as OFF TOPIC or GENERAL RC DISCUSSION. As it is, there was a discussion forum started on this BVM Phantom in the JETS forum, but not too many people bothered to find it to voice their opinions there...

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:35 PM   #7
aubej
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jason A.

Total Props: 5
Good topic guys. I think it's good we respect people's posts in the classifieds section. There is no need for unnecessary comments if a person is not interested in it.

Chris, I agree with you on the feedback tool. I got your PM on this and will be looking to clean this up and warn users who abuse it.

Jason
aubej is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:51 PM   #8
voyager_663rd
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len, an RPAS pilot

Total Props: 20
The only time I would offer a comment is if the seller asks" Gee, no takers. What's wrong (with you guys, with the price, with the what-ever)."

Like mammy once said, nothing good to say? Shaddup.
voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:34 PM   #9
4*60
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: DSM
Radio of choice:
Radiomaster, Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 199
Any negative re: price etc. should be in private. It is always buyer beware so people are responsible for there own sales and purchases. I would not appreciate neg. comments on price on anything I offered for sale. I noticed the message usually gets through without comment on high prices. No need to tick people off.
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-13-2005, 05:15 PM   #10
Midair
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Peter M.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18SZ
# of RCs: 22

Total Props: 26
Ouch, this one’s gonna hurt - If we agree that we are all entitled to our opinions and that this is a discussion forum, then please let me provide my two cents worth – the other side of the coin, so to speak. While I agree in principle with the general sentiments expressed within the threads of this post, you must acknowledge that there are many unscrupulous people out there. Admittedly and thankfully, I can say that I have yet to come across someone in this community that I would consider shady or dishonest (maybe I’ve been lucky). Nonetheless, the possibility exists. No background checks are applied to the members of RCC and there is no probation period before you can post. A person may simply register, pop in, post and pop out, never to be heard from again. Unlike a classified advertisement printed in a newspaper, persons that advertise items in this forum do not have to pay for the privilege. Furthermore, I have written, not to the “editor” of a newspaper, but to their advertising department complaining about blatant false advertising on the part of their client. Just this weekend I received an unsolicited e-mail from one the Canadian R/C hobby distributors advertising a “special” price on one of their products and encouraging me to buy it. I wrote to the distributor and explained exactly why I never touch that particular product, at any price and I do so from first hand experience. If enough people provide this type of feedback, the manufacturer will either go under or clean up his act. I would never condone the slandering of a seller or agree with directing derogatory or demeaning comments toward him, but by the same token, I do not want to be taken advantage of. This is a public members forum, not a newspaper and not a private advertisement. If someone can’t take the heat for an overpriced or poor quality item, then perhaps he shouldn’t be posting.

Buyer be ware, seller be warned?

Peter
MAAC #22527

Murphy was an optimist; fly safe and have fun.
Midair is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in