moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27
Re: Barrel test

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
Whoa!!! I thought that was real!
. . .
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:18 PM   #12
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Turborix

. . .
Old 10-06-2009, 09:46 PM   #13
Luke Planemaker
RCC Contributor

I am: Tony R

Total Props: 0

Moo, old truck box was removed from truck, sitting on ground for a few years now. Looks like you found the inspiration for LGM's model. I haven't a clue about anechoic chambers tho.

Jeremy, I see 2 antennas there, makes me wonder if one isn't enough for full metal skin. Wish I could ask the builder a few questions bout his radio setup.

Wayne, I had to test your story when it popped into my head while moving the barrel. After being amazed at the radio working, I had to try the RC radio!

Old 10-06-2009, 11:54 PM   #14
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Turborix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Planemaker View Post
Moo, old truck box was removed from truck, sitting on ground for a few years now
My wife doesn't allow that.

The second antenna may have been for a second receiver, perhaps something like a weatronics setup.

Anechoic chamber in Webster NY, the walls inside absorb all radio waves, the walls outside are grounded copper sheets, no radio waves get in.
(and coincidently all sound is absorbed as well)

This is for testing radio interference on electronics, and just happened to be big enough for the printer we were testing.

Eric
Old 10-07-2009, 01:05 PM   #15
reo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ron O.

Total Props: 96

Quote:
What the heck is a barrel test?
Well, I put my PCM receiver in an old truck box, put a 45gal barrel over it,(one end removed) leaving the servos (5) outside of the barrel (to observe movement), then proceeded to see what the range was. Turned out to be about 100' with antenna collapsed.

I'm wondering what thoughts people might have, as to the reliability of said radio in a metal framework plane (not metal covered).
What range could be expected, is this a stupid idea, or what? Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info on planes with significant metal content. Any thoughts appreciated, real life experience preferred, thanks.
Breaking ground here, I hope.
to each his own, but the question I have is......why??????...Ron
reo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:26 PM   #16
Luke Planemaker
RCC Contributor

I'm basically trying to find out if FM radios have major problems when long metal pieces are used in the airframe. First hand testing seems to be the solution, due to lack of info, so on to the next test. I'm thinking testing the radio in the airframe (not completed yet), while rolling it in different directions, should simulate actual flight conditions.

What kind of range is it normal to have at ground level, for safe flight without signal loss? How far away can you guys fly, close to the ground, before being worried about losing signal? Five hundred feet, 1/4 mile, or what? Also wondering what range difference should be expected between fully extended, and collapsed antenna.

Need to know if plane will fly, or fly not. Hate to see "fly briefly and crash", tho at least I will have tried. My thanks for the interest and reply's everyone.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:58 PM   #17
Daren71
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Daren M.
Radio of choice:
IX12

Total Props: 18

Quote:
I'm basically trying to find out if FM radios have major problems when long metal pieces are used in the airframe. First hand testing seems to be the solution, due to lack of info, so on to the next test. I'm thinking testing the radio in the airframe (not completed yet), while rolling it in different directions, should simulate actual flight conditions.

What kind of range is it normal to have at ground level, for safe flight without signal loss? How far away can you guys fly, close to the ground, before being worried about losing signal? Five hundred feet, 1/4 mile, or what? Also wondering what range difference should be expected between fully extended, and collapsed antenna.

Need to know if plane will fly, or fly not. Hate to see "fly briefly and crash", tho at least I will have tried. My thanks for the interest and reply's everyone.
Do you think that a ground test is accurate, since the plane will be in the air right? Let me rephrase that, will the signal be the same on the ground as in the air? The antenna partially covered up, on the ground, or totally exposed to the signal in the air. Hope my questions seem clear. Daren
Old 10-13-2009, 10:08 PM   #18
Luke Planemaker
RCC Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daren71 View Post
Do you think that a ground test is accurate, since the plane will be in the air right? Let me rephrase that, will the signal be the same on the ground as in the air? The antenna partially covered up, on the ground, or totally exposed to the signal in the air. Hope my questions seem clear. Daren
I guess I'm just looking for examples of what others have experienced with planes made from standard construction materials.
For example, something like " I have flown close to the ground (x)number of feet away"

Or "With my Tx antenna collapsed, I get reliable signal for at least (x) feet on the ground, before servos get glitchy"

Or "I never fly low, farther than (x) distance away, cause I lost a plane once doing that."

I understand the signal should improve with height, just looking for some normal plane radio specs, regarding distance limits for reliable control. Hope this makes sense. When I get a chance and have a helper, I'll try a range check, Tx ant fully up, receiver and servos up a tree to simulate plane flying. If a squirrel steals my equipment, I'm blaming Daren!
Old 10-13-2009, 10:51 PM   #19
mtnflyer
RCC Senior Contributor

I truly do commend you for your experimental efforts, I affectionately refer to you as Dr. Frankenstien. You must be a youngster, to try such experiments.

In all my flying history, I've never seen anyone fly beyond the field limits. The most I've seen is 500 yards with the FM radio still in control. That's a long way if your sighting in your rifle. If your flying a plane, it's farther than I want to be

Over the last few years, I've lost a couple of planes flying in the mountains. Don't know that the range of my FM equipment had anything to do with it, I'm guessing it didn't help. None of those planes were metal

I've spent most of my money and time on model airplanes, mean women, and beer. All the rest was just a waste.

MAAC 51187
mtnflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:29 PM   #20
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Turborix

Scientific method be damned! We're here for the fun and beer.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in