A friendly discussion of jet flight and safety. - Page 4 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 11-09-2010, 04:56 PM   #31
mark_
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Mark
Radio of choice:
DX6i
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 1
Re: This is insane

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Interesting...thanks for the insight Andrew.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:04 PM   #32
Flying Farmer
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 2

I also personally also have known John M for a number of decades, and I am very glad to call him my close friend. I also know that John M over the years has forgot more about modeling than many have yet to learn on here.

And I have to agree with his opinion here.

I have been flying RC aircraft for over 30 years, and have seen my fair share of pilots come and go. And I have not yet met one who is capable on a regular basis to fly a model safely in the confined area of the average model field at over 250mph. I would not even want to be in my car, or be in my home close to the strip of anyone at this speed with a toy jet, or toy prop plane (pylon racer), even if it was controlled using the finest up to date 14 MZ or 12X TX with high voltage servo`s and redundant RX`s.

They are now approaching speeds that will not just injure a bystander, but take out a large crowd of spectators. With that much velocity and enertia, a model aircraft can enter one side of a car, and portions of it surely go out the other.

I see now the ego trips in modeling attaining the highest levels possible, with more money invested into a model than what is put into a full size ultra-light.

500cc giant scale aircraft weighing in over 40 pounds are also large scale accidents waiting to happen, just so some tool can get off on the fact that he has the biggest toy of the day.

Most pilots like to think they are the hottest jockey to come down the pipe, and are well ahead of thier guided missle, or over weight and over sized scale job. But in fact are saying either a "hope for the best" prayer silently before flight, or a " thanks for letting me get away with it" prayer after landing.

Sooner or later at these speeds and or sizes, the inevitable is going to happen. Then our RC hobby will be front page news, public out cry will bring on ridiculous restrictions on us, just for the sake of a few noobs who need the most expensive toy on the block , or the fastest toy, or the biggest, just to inflate their little heads.

Take a look at the videos below, and just think what would happen if either toy went into some bystanders instead.

Chad Hossack MAAC 18435

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmqvjALs_n0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcuHOU0VnC8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aajp-A43glA

Last edited by Flying Farmer; 11-09-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Flying Farmer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:06 PM   #33
nairbg
RCC Contributor

I am: Brian G
Radio of choice:
JR 12X
# of RCs: 12+

Total Props: 0

And bullets too! Look how fast they go!

Nobody needs bullets. They should ban bullets..... if it only saves one life!!

Won't somebody think of the children!!!

Pretty soon we'll all be relegated to cribbage!
Jr 12X
nairbg is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:14 PM   #34
Flying Farmer
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairbg View Post
And bullets too! Look how fast they go!

Nobody needs bullets. They should ban bullets..... if it only saves one life!!

Won't somebody think of the children!!!

Pretty soon we'll all be relegated to cribbage!

Good thinking, as a gun collector and user myself, I guess because of this logic we should do away with all fire arm regulations, let everyone carry a 45 or auto, and we would all be on equal terms.

NOT.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:28 PM   #35
nairbg
RCC Contributor

I am: Brian G
Radio of choice:
JR 12X
# of RCs: 12+

Total Props: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Farmer View Post
Good thinking, as a gun collector and user myself, I guess because of this logic we should do away with all fire arm regulations, let everyone carry a 45 or auto, and we would all be on equal terms.

NOT.
It would lower the recidivism rate.........

But you are right. Everything dangerous should be banned.....

Have you ever seen what a 450 heli can do when it hits human flesh! Think what would happen with a 700!!! Nobody needs anything THAT powerful or fast! They should ban RC heli's bigger than the mSR!!
Jr 12X
nairbg is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:15 PM   #36

Total Props: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Farmer View Post
I also personally also have known John M for a number of decades, and I am very glad to call him my close friend. I also know that John M over the years has forgot more about modeling than many have yet to learn on here.

And I have to agree with his opinion here.

I have been flying RC aircraft for over 30 years, and have seen my fair share of pilots come and go. And I have not yet met one who is capable on a regular basis to fly a model safely in the confined area of the average model field at over 250mph. I would not even want to be in my car, or be in my home close to the strip of anyone at this speed with a toy jet, or toy prop plane (pylon racer), even if it was controlled using the finest up to date 14 MZ or 12X TX with high voltage servo`s and redundant RX`s.

They are now approaching speeds that will not just injure a bystander, but take out a large crowd of spectators. With that much velocity and enertia, a model aircraft can enter one side of a car, and portions of it surely go out the other.

I see now the ego trips in modeling attaining the highest levels possible, with more money invested into a model than what is put into a full size ultra-light.

500cc giant scale aircraft weighing in over 40 pounds are also large scale accidents waiting to happen, just so some tool can get off on the fact that he has the biggest toy of the day.

Most pilots like to think they are the hottest jockey to come down the pipe, and are well ahead of thier guided missle, or over weight and over sized scale job. But in fact are saying either a "hope for the best" prayer silently before flight, or a " thanks for letting me get away with it" prayer after landing.

Sooner or later at these speeds and or sizes, the inevitable is going to happen. Then our RC hobby will be front page news, public out cry will bring on ridiculous restrictions on us, just for the sake of a few noobs who need the most expensive toy on the block , or the fastest toy, or the biggest, just to inflate their little heads.

Take a look at the videos below, and just think what would happen if either toy went into some bystanders instead.

Chad Hossack MAAC 18435

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmqvjALs_n0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcuHOU0VnC8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aajp-A43glA

And yet after ranting about all that, you still say nothing about the little foamies being flown in parks, or heli's being flown in soccer fields, etc etc etc. I guess you consider that those don't have the potential for disaster.

I have jets that do well over 250mph, so do a few other guys out this way that I fly with. To start with, we don't fly at a regular model field, we fly at a full scale airport (don't get all uppity about that not being safe, it is a low use airport and we use it only with permission and NOTAM's issued), we fly with spotters ALL the time. We keep spectator lines much further back than required by the safety regulations etc etc etc.

Sure, something could happen and a model could fly into the pits, or behind the spectator lines, that can happen at a full scale airshow, it can happen at a car race, it could happen at a rodeo, have you ever watched soccer and the riots that ensue?????

I guess we should ban everything and live in little plastic bubbles to really be safe. Oh, but if we all lived in little bubbles, we better make sure we all live on flat ground, a hill with a round bubble could be dangerous too.....

Despite your narrow minded and egotistical comments, I do not fly fast to inflate my ego, I do it for the excitement that it gives me. If it wasn't that, it might be drag racing, or who knows, but I fly for the excitement. I dont' push myself beyond my limits nor do I care if somebody has bigger or faster than what I have.

You may not think so, but your comments make you sound like you are preaching with a holier than thou attitude, and I'm sorry, but THAT comes across as ego.....
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:27 PM   #37
fsone
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Norm
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8/DX7
# of RCs: 18+

Total Props: 6

I think some individuals take things to personal.I think there is lots to learn here from some of the comments from this thread.Take in all these comments digest them and see if we can apply these to ourselves.I'm sure we can.
Make Safety Priority #1
fsone is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:33 PM   #38
mark_
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Mark
Radio of choice:
DX6i
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 1

Well said Norm.
This thread is an excellent exchange of ideas and opinions. It is becoming 'spirited' and there is nothing wrong with that. Just a little reminder to keep it civil as well.

Of course opinions vary, that's only natural...I don't think that anyone needs to be persecuted for expressing theirs.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:36 PM   #39
fsone
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Norm
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8/DX7
# of RCs: 18+

Total Props: 6

That's true Mark.
Make Safety Priority #1
fsone is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:40 PM   #40
luv2flyrc
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: A. Nonymous

Total Props: 163

another fav..... This guy's haulin' the mail!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S98-g_Zn_Aw

Enjoy

Mike

Last edited by luv2flyrc; 11-09-2010 at 07:49 PM.
luv2flyrc is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in