Bitten by the EDF Bug - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Jets Discuss electric jets in Canada.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:12 AM   #1
Darren Spicer
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Darren S
Radio of choice:
JR
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 0
Bitten by the EDF Bug

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have been bitten by the EDF bug. I would like to get another larger edf jet. can anyone suggest a place to buy. I considered Banana hobby. But have heard nothing but bad things. I would like to stay Canadian if possible. All suggestions would be great.

Cheers Darren

If you don't stand behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them.
Darren Spicer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:00 AM   #2
Daren71
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Daren M.
Radio of choice:
IX12

Total Props: 18
Re: Bitten by the EDF Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Spicer View Post
I have been bitten by the EDF bug. I would like to get another larger edf jet. can anyone suggest a place to buy. I considered Banana hobby. But have heard nothing but bad things. I would like to stay Canadian if possible. All suggestions would be great.

Cheers Darren
Me too. I bought the Freewing Avanti, and Freewing A10. I had some 6s batteries, so these planes work for me.

You have to consider what kind of runway you fly off of. My field is grass, so I'm limited to a few. Both Avanti and A10 are grass capable. I have dealt with RC-Castle.com, they are fantastic to deal with. Shipping costs are what they are, there are very few options for us Canadians. FMS can be bought from several Canadian hobby shops, the Futura is grass capable as well, and seems to fly well.

Good luck. Daren
Old 10-17-2017, 07:16 PM   #3
airbourne
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Jeff F

Total Props: 4

What kind of Jet do you want? Scale or sport, foam or composite? 90 or 120mm?

Old 10-18-2017, 07:07 PM   #4
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 Jeti and Airtronics SD-6
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Spicer View Post

Cheers Darren
Darren , your not bitten till you go the next level ... kerosene turbines....also takes a bite out of your Hobby allowance so that us a double bite....lol
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:01 PM   #5
4stripes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Flyboy 1 (Eric K)
Radio of choice:
CPDLC & Mind Control
# of RCs: 777

Total Props: 203

Nonsense.
EDF has so much to chose from at a reasonable price I haven't even been slightly tempted to try turbines in 7 years of flying EDF. Heck, I'd rather have a dozen 90mm jets than one boomerang.
https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/sho...77&postcount=1
4stripes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:50 PM   #6
JETcro
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Neven G
Radio of choice:
Frsky
# of RCs: 2m

Total Props: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes View Post
Nonsense.
EDF has so much to chose from at a reasonable price I haven't even been slightly tempted to try turbines in 7 years of flying EDF. Heck, I'd rather have a dozen 90mm jets than one boomerang.
I agree with that statement Erick but it's nice to see rc jets in giant scale with awsome sound
JETcro is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:34 AM   #7
pylonboy
RCC Contributor

I am: Brent H
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9CHP, Taranis X9D and Horus X12s, Tandem X20S and RM TX16S-Max
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 2

Quote:
Nonsense.
Not sure why you can't do both Eric.

I have several turbine jets and even more EDF jets. I really like both, but you gotta admit that there is a bit more excitement with turbines. The smell, the noise, the speed, etc. Lately my EDF's are not used as often........I have to address that, and go out to fly them more.

Most people that are flying turbine jets started with EDF jets at first. In the past, the EDF jets were either very slow or very expensive. Modern technology has allowed the foamy jets to come to a higher level now, and we can enjoy scale EDF jets at a moderate cost.

About four or five years ago, I decided to try turbine jets because my previous EDF cost the same as a good used turbine jet........well over $2,000.00. All composite, high power and speed. Some fields do not accommodate large turbine jets, so there are no options. Some other areas do not accommodate small EDF wheels either, so larger jets would be needed.

If you have relatively smooth surfaces, then EDF jets are great! Bungee launching is another area of EDF jets with rough grass fields. It is a bit of a pain, but the jet costs are minimal, and the speeds can be very impressive. I have also modified many Funjets to EDF and they are a ton of fun, reasonable cost, and a real show stopper!

The point is that both EDF and turbine are viable areas of RC modelling. Depending on your situation both financially, and the club(s) that you belong to will determine what is best for you. Either way, it is DEFINITELY a large bug to be bitten by.

Enjoy the new era of foam scale EDF jets because you can!!!
Old 10-24-2017, 11:38 AM   #8
aquila
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Jeremy J

Total Props: 61

Quote:
Nonsense.
It really depends on what you want to fly. If you are content with foam edf's and 140ish mph performance then great. By the time you want to venture into a 200mph model though edf isn't much if any cheaper than turbines. I have an old bvm viper that still has its original glow ducted fan. I had thought about making it edf but by the time I buy the fan, motor, esc and batteries for it I'm sitting around $2400USD. I can buy a kingtech k60 for $1600usd or so. By the time I add in a pipe and fuel tanks it's about the same cost except since I don't have electrics already I'd still have to buy a charger and generator for field charging. (Not going to charge 12s batteries off a truck battery....)

Edf run times are also incredibly short by comparison and charge times are much longer than it takes to refuel.

Edf is great and has its place but when I look at them it seems to me there is very little to choose from unless you are content with smaller slower foam airplanes.

I've also got 3 - 200+mph turbine jets that I've paidless than $2500 each for. I have a hard time believing you'd find any edf capable of 200mph for that price.
aquila is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:49 AM   #9
pylonboy
RCC Contributor

I am: Brent H
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9CHP, Taranis X9D and Horus X12s, Tandem X20S and RM TX16S-Max
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 2

.........On the other hand, there is the majority of pilots who are neither comfortable flying a turbine jet, not really wanting to go 200mph, or simply do not want the hassle (I know....it is actually simpler) of flying turbines.

I am actually in the position to enjoy both, but prefer turbines for larger planes. As you stated, it costs more to make an EDF go really fast than a turbine. Not all fields support turbine use as well.

To those pilots who want to, or have to fly EDF jets, the selection is great. Unfortunately the best selections are mail-order right now. It is hard for a hobby shop to keep all the different options on their shelves without significant mark-up.

Some of the larger foam jets have certainly grabbed my attention.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:42 PM   #10
aquila
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Jeremy J

Total Props: 61

It's funny how the jet world has changed. Back in the day it was a push to go faster and faster. We would dive from a spec in the sky to try to hit 200mph. Today sport jets are becoming jet powered pattern airplanes. Now don't get me wrong, I love pattern, I competed for many years but if I want a pattern airplane I want a pattern Airplane. Not a jet. Scale jets are cool but even at that I am old school. I want the 200mph F16 or F5. Not a hawk or viperjet.

We are in an even greater time than ever for the amount of choices out there.
My comment was only in response to the one made about edf being cost effective compared to turbines but it only is if one is comparing apples and oranges. To be fair, and compare apples to apples one finds that turbines are actually the same if not cheaper than the high performance edf.

The biggest draw to turbines for me was the sound and smell. I don't get excited over high rpm vacuum cleaner internals lol
aquila is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in